Fullbuster

Russia Box Office

Russian Box Office Hits $1 Billion Mark Faster Than in 2011

The Russian box office hit the $1 billion mark two weeks earlier this year than in 2011, and the entire year’s figure is likely to exceed that of last year by up to 13 percent.

On Oct. 21, the total box office gross of all movies released in the country theatrically reached $1.014 billion, according to industry journal Byulleten Kinoprokatchika (Exhibitor’s Bulletin). In 2011, the $1 billion figure was reached Nov. 5.

One of the main reasons for the improved performance was the popularity of feature-length animated movies, Maria Mukhina, editor-in-chief of Exhibitor’s Bulletin, told The Hollywood Reporter. “Ice Age: Continental Drift and Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted grossed $50 million and $49 million, respectively," she said.

Another major factor that had a positive impact on the box office was a large number of 3D releases. “The first eight movies on the box office champions’ list are 3D movies,” Mukhina said. “The only 2D movie that hit the $20 million mark this year was Battleship, which grossed $22 million.”

The highest-grossing local movie to date has been Dukhless (Soulless) with $12.2 million, followed by Tot Yeshche Karlson (Yet Same Karlson) with $10.4 million and Avgust Vosmogo (August. The Eighth), which grossed $9.9 million.

Meanwhile, the entire year’s box office gross is likely to be between $1.26 billion and $1.3 billion, according to predictions made by Exhibitor’s Bulletin’s experts. That would signify a 10 percent to 13 percent increase from last year’s figure of $1.15 billion.

That's great :)
  • Like 2

The growth in Russia is great but it's slowing, clearly.Before 2010 the growth was 30-40% every year! But it's logical, you can't grow this way forever, China and other countries will slow too.The Russian BO has a good growth, the UK market will be passed in 2 years, and could pass the French BO in 2016 or 2017.In admissions Russia will pass UK this year, and could pass France next year.

From Jan.1 to Oct.28, Russian movies grossed $146.27M(22M viewers), accounting for 14.4% of overall box office of Russia($1.02B, 142M viewers).The average ticket price for local film in 2012 was $ 6.62, or 209 rubles.http://www.kinobusin...t/view/6935/31/

The local movies are crushed :o it's so weak :oThe average ticket price is lower than I expected ! I expected $8

Russians don't love DISNEY animations as much as DWA/blue sky studio.

Wreck-it Ralph doesn't look like a traditional Disney movie, it's different, it's new, it's fresh.I hope Russians will catch up on this because it's shameful.When I think about good numbers of Resident Evil 5 there i'm sick :(

It's not that bad actually. Hotel Transylvania with 14.5 mln RUB grossed 188.5 mln RUB for the weekend ($6.12m). And Ralph grossed 18.4 mln RUB on Thursday. Even with much lower multiplyer around $6mln 4day and$8mln 5day is quite possible.And Skyfall will pass Quantum of Solace total after 11 or 12 days. In RUB of course.

Edited by juni78ukr
  • Like 1

It's not that bad actually. Hotel Transylvania with 14.5 mln RUB grossed 188.5 mln RUB for the weekend ($6.12m). And Ralph grossed 18.4 mln RUB on Thursday. Even with much lower multiplyer around $6mln 4day and$8mln 5day is quite possible.And Skyfall will pass Quantum of Solace total after 11 or 12 days. In RUB of course.

$6m OW would be satisfying for Ralph :) But I want more from a country loving animated movies, I hope for good holds with a good WOM.