AniNate

Civil War | A24 | Alex Garland action thriller | 04/12/2024

Idk if forgotten but I don't think it'll be the kind of flashpoint people are straining to make it out to be. Its conceit evidently isn't based on the real-world ideological struggle so any effort to stoke a controversy wouldn't last a news cycle.

Now that Alex Garland is apparently not retiring and making another war film, this will inevitably have some kind of continued place in the entertainment media cycle though.

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Are we going to get a repeat of the media hysteria surrounding Joker? 

It's funny you mention that, as I have been wondering how this will be received by the mainstream, and feel like a Joker-esque reactions seems like a best case scenario, where the movie's politics are just vague enough that both left- and right-leaning moviegoers can project whatever they want to onto the movie, which could help with word-of-mouth if people find it to be deep enough and (more importantly) entertaining enough. It premieres at SXSW next week, so we should have a better idea then.

Ideally Joker-esque discourse without Joker-esque hysteria. I would be happy to see Garland finally make a mainstream breakthrough; think he's got Nolan/Villeneuve stuff in him.

Because this is an Alex Garland thread, I'll just flag that I didn't realize just how cheap 2022's Men was (IIRC $2-3M) which explains why the film bombing didn't seem to impact him. I got the impression it was a bit more like Beau is Afraid

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

Posted (edited)

This was already well into filming when Men released. He basically finished Men and then immediately started on Civil War. A24 does give auteurs a lot of latitude though I imagine they might put a leash on him with his next film if this flops.

Edited by AniNate

18 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

This should be good for a laugh like Geostorm.

A sort of bitter laugh

I think the possibility of a Civil war in America is very real...made more possible by what happened yesterday on  Super  Tuesday  but if it happens is not going to be anything like what is portrayed in the movie from the trailers I have seen.l

5 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Yesterday was one of the more low-key Super Tuesdays in recent memory tbh

I don't want to get really poitical, but it puts a wannbe dictator within reach of the White House. That is unique in US History.

M y gut feeeling is this is just a action thriller, with the "Civil War" angle just to make it a bit different. I got a feeling this will not even raise a political fuss.

4 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

It's like the Red Dawn remake with a premise that makes no sense. I hope it's not a serious movie because that would be dreadful.

Texas and California seceding together makes NO sense whatsoever.