AniNate

Civil War | A24 | Alex Garland action thriller | 04/12/2024

No mention of "The Hunt" in discussions of the film's ability to be impacted by "cultural moments?"  High variance doesn't mean all upside. Either way, it seems like Garland's comments aren't perfectly threading the marketing needle A24 presumably wants to thread but they, unlike everyone else's comments, do seem tailored to avoid that sort of reading. It's going to be interesting to see how the marketing doublespeak plays out.

I played the "did this get coverage on fox news" game and turned up nothing (though you have a couple of articles aggregating that sort of framing) and I think "is cable news covering this" is actually a good proxy for if we'll reach meaningful levels of cultural discourse (for good or ill).

re: film twitter, it probably matters that A24 fandom is clearly overlapping with something like film twitter but the film is expensive enough that it needs to move beyond such core audiences to be a success anyways. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

It does seem like if there's gonna be a "controversy", it's going to involve film twitter getting uppity about whether or not it's sending the "correct" message and if it condemns their enemies to a satisfying enough degree. That could be very very annoying in its own way but I don't think that would necessarily be a detriment to box office or sow security concerns.

I do think Garland conceived this movie with the intent of having timeliness 20-30 years from now, long after the specific political issues of the day are relegated to history books.

On 3/15/2024 at 1:23 PM, Cap said:

Looks solid. I am still hung up on “California and Texas are working together.” Like was that added in to make sure the audience knows this is fiction? 💀

2006election.png

CALIFORNIA FINALLY WENT BLUE IN THE WESTWING-VERSE!!!! :ohmygod:

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

On 3/15/2024 at 8:23 PM, Cap said:

Looks solid. I am still hung up on “California and Texas are working together.” Like was that added in to make sure the audience knows this is fiction? 💀

Old joke by now, but if this alliance seems impossible to you then world war 2 will blow your mind 😃

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Old joke by now, but if this alliance seems impossible to you then world war 2 will blow your mind 😃

Yup. Or like a literal civil war in China being put on hold during Japan's invasion and so on and so forth. Texas v California hostilities are child's play in comparison to some real alliances that have been struck throughout history.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend" will never stop being a relevant proverb.

11 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

It sounds to me like this will potentially be another Joker situation, where the politics are vague enough that either side can read into it however they want.

i mean California and Texas are allies in this world

This is not a reflection of current politics at all 

9 hours ago, SaltyPistola said:

The biggest uproar will be annoying Political & Alt History twitter accounts being all Uhmmm actually these states would never align 🤓

Only way texas and California align would be due to resource issues. 

They really are quite economically dependent on each other even if the political rhetoric suggests otherwise. 

Frankly I think it'd be refreshing to see someone make an effort to cut above the noise and attempt to speculate about it with an individual, humanistic focus. In a way I think a third party observer who's not a US citizen might be better suited for taking that approach. This seems to be in a similar vein to Children of Men, which was directed by a Mexican and set in a war torn UK.

On 3/16/2024 at 1:53 AM, Cap said:

The movie's set in the Red, White and Royal Blue universe, years after President Uma Thurman's half-Latino gay son flipped Texas for her second term victory

red-white-royal-blue-2020-election-v0-za

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

What an incredible movie

love it

i will give 8/10 

maybe cause im italian but i didnt see any political thing

There was a user here who posted an early review. How does the review below compare to what you thought about the film?

Having seen a screening for it, the trailer is misleading. It's more of a drama with horror elements than an action movie. 

I'd personally put it below Ex Machina, maybe around Annihilation, but way above Men in terms of rankings for Garland movies. 

All the reviews, including the ones giving it 5 stars, make me want to see the movie less and less.

Making a movie about a new American Civil War that avoids politics isn't you making some grand statement of wanting the audience to look in the mirror, it just makes you a coward.

And considering how awful Garland has been on the media tour, it might be for the best he's a coward. Because the movie would probably be even worse if he did try to make an actual statement.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, crazydom said:

Making a movie about a new American Civil War that avoids politics isn't you making some grand statement of wanting the audience to look in the mirror, it just makes you a coward.

And considering how awful Garland has been on the media tour, it might be for the best he's a coward. Because the movie would probably be even worse if he did try to make an actual statement.

Label him a coward all you want, but this kind of attitude is something that I think calls for a certain mirror reflection. His "awful" quotes on the media tour are honestly a lot more correct than people want to believe they are.

Of course, no one really likes it when they're told to look in a mirror, but I'm pretty sure whatever statement Garland is trying to make here will have far more long-term impact than whatever insults people lob at him before having actually seen the movie.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, JimmyB said:

There was a user here who posted an early review. How does the review below compare to what you thought about the film?

Having seen a screening for it, the trailer is misleading. It's more of a drama with horror elements than an action movie. 

I'd personally put it below Ex Machina, maybe around Annihilation, but way above Men in terms of rankings for Garland movies. 

Its not an action I know  but I love it. it is a film full of anxiety, which moves between journalism and the violence of an America at war

ex machina still my favorite movie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1