AniNate

Civil War | A24 | Alex Garland action thriller | 04/12/2024

Not sure how trustworthy reactions from SXSW are compared to more highbrow festivals but I have to admit the audience response is pretty stellar. Could be a big hit for A24 if they get the buzz out properly. 

• Like 1

Seems like it'll have more passionate detractors than Monkey Man or Fall Guy, but definitely sounds like it's action driven and conversation starting enough to draw an audience. SXSW has been winning this year.

As an American Liberal, I can't help but be a little worried by the vibes I'm getting from these reviews/reactions. If this film is truly a "cautionary tale", then the right-wing media will have their "proof" that Hollywood has an agenda. Just great for an election year.

Never understood the hate for this film on these boards based on, I guess, a throwaway out of context line about political coalitions in the trailer? This is the exact kind of movie we should want - big budget auteur blockbuster with actual political stakes. It's the ideal type of film we should be supporting for adults. Glad to hear it is great.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Never understood the hate for this film on these boards based on, I guess, a throwaway out of context line about political coalitions in the trailer? This is the exact kind of movie we should want - big budget auteur blockbuster with actual political stakes. It's the ideal type of film we should be supporting for adults. Glad to hear it is great.

Garland has kind of a hatedom in certain online circles for reasons I don't entirely understand. Pretty much just look to read everything about this movie in the most negative, uncharitable light possible.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Did this guy actually see the film, or is this a bit? 

This reminds me of those warnings that preceded Joker's release. Anybody remember them?

Those didn't happen either. I'm not terribly worried about it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

There have been a few negatives, but so far the SXSW snap reactions have more or less lined up with the ensuing tomatometers. Immaculate and Y2K got mid receptions

Edited by AniNate

The enthusiasm from some of these people (most of whom I am unfamiliar with) is a bit much, but I'm at least getting the sense that it should resonate well with audiences - it sounds like it at least delivers a memorably relentless time. If the emotional/thematic angle is good enough to resonate with people I could see it having pretty decent legs too, especially with April not having any big franchise event films to suck up the air. 

9 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

This reminds me of those warnings that preceded Joker's release. Anybody remember them?

Those didn't happen either. I'm not terribly worried about it.

I think if there were a controversy it would've happened by now. People are straining to manufacture one here.

Honestly its blatant promotion of its themes probably works to its benefit. There's not really anything "hidden" or "subliminal" about it.

• Like 1

This movie's trailers look great, but man all the reactions talking about how important this film is, how it's a "perfect allegory for the messiness of America," have me genuinely worried. EDIT: Worried that it's being overhyped by folks blinded by their politics.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul
EDIT: Clarification

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

This movie's trailers look great, but man all the reactions talking about how important this film is, how it's a "perfect allegory for the messiness of America," have me genuinely worried.

It's a war movie. What did you expect?

Relax, enjoy the reception, and don't try to make something out of it that doesn't need to be.

I'd kill for this movie to make enough money for it to have any actual controversy or discourse tbh. I think it's hysterics regardless but it's definitely hysterics for something that's going to do like 11/26 domestically. I also don't see what "danger" people are possibly talking about - what is an Alex Garland A24 movie going to inspire, after eight years of unbelievable divisiveness, mass shootings, Neo-Nazis, and an actual coup attempt - what violence or discourse can this inspire that is beyond what is already happening in America? Like this is the straw that broke the camel's back?

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 2