Eric the Marxist

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think once D+ releases are delayed back to 3-4 months time frame, I think Disney/Pixar will make a come back. Plus they need a movie with strong reviews. I hope Docter makes another one soon as well. Plus are Stanton/Bird also done with animation or would they consider making something again?

Judging by Quantumania’s release it seems so, but yeah a 4-5 month period and if Elemental and Wish get strong reception as Soul/Luca/TR/Encanto, they’ll be in full swing in time for Elio. It’s all new people for Pixar onward. Bird went to Skydance, Stanton is live action and Docter is too busy to run. However, I think Enrico Cassarosa (Luca), Domee Shi (Turning Red) and Adrian Molina (Coco co-director and Elio director) definitely have the potential to be the new big 3. Rosanna Sullivan (Kitbull) and Aphton Corbin (TwentySomething) have potential for their upcoming debuts.

54 minutes ago, Eric Williams said:

Moderation

@Jonwo I understand your frustrations with people's pessimism towards Pixar, but your posts do not help and are frankly making the situation worse. Nobody who thinks Elemental will do poorly thinks Pixar will shut down. Nobody who thinks Elemental will do poorly wants Pixar to suffer. It doesn't seem fair that we can't express concerns about a movie because you don't like reading it.

And frankly, you can ignore this pessimism quite easily. You can simply not respond to other posts or just put certain users on your Ignore list. Really, it's not that hard. Please stop with this right now.

Are we not allowed to defend Pixar anymore then?  I will stop as I don't want to get into further trouble.

Edited by Jonwo

Just now, Jonwo said:

Are we not allowed to defend Pixar anymore then? Seems a bit unfair. 

No. You can defend if you want to. Just don't do the hyperbole you were doing before, don't start fights against people who are being negative, and so on. It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

11 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Are we not allowed to defend Pixar anymore then?  I will stop as I don't want to get into further trouble.

You're holding onto something I said half a year ago with the only intention of trying to drum up more support for this movie. I don't think anyone else is really thinking about the idea of Pixar shutting down as much as you are.

Edited by AniNate

Although I lean more on the pessimistic side for Elemental, I honestly hope to be proven wrong. Soul, Luca, and Turning Red were all great films, and they seem to have been received well on D+. Disney just needs to put more faith in their theatrical release strategy, imo.

But if it is a misfire and doesn’t perform well at the BO, I don’t think it will tank Disney/Pixar in the long run. They’ve come out of worse spots and thrived before. But they will need to rethink the way they develop and release films.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnCarterofEarth said:

Disney should emphasize more that this is a theatrical release only. Make sure people know it’s not same day release. I guarantee you some people will think oh I can see it on Disney+ instead of going to the theater. 

You would think when they look for it and can't find it that would tip them off though. I guess some are just turned off by it all together. 

Edited by poweranimals

I feel like the "streaming conditioning" concern is somewhat overstated. The two Disney animated releases last year both got weak reviews and likely would've flopped whenever they were released. We'd have to have seen how something like Soul or Turning Red would've performed in theaters in a post-Covid emergency time to draw any firm conclusions there. The character posters do all say "only in theaters" fwiw.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AniNate said:

I feel like the "streaming conditioning" concern is somewhat overstated. The two Disney animated releases last year both got weak reviews and likely would've flopped whenever they were released. We'd have to have seen how something like Soul or Turning Red would've performed in theaters in a post-Covid emergency time to draw any firm conclusions there. The character posters do all say "only in theaters" fwiw.

I think Luca might've done decently well in theaters the summer it released too. Feels like a summer movie. Was well liked by audiences. Family movies like Jungle Cruise and Free Guy managed 100M+ DOM that summer. They should've released it like they Jungle Cruise... Pay $30+ to watch on Disney+ or watch it in a theater. Straight to Disney+ with just a subscription was foolish. Very foolish. It was especially foolish for Turning Red too. Now, Soul, that's a bit different. That was Christmas 2020. Given the situation with Covid then, it never would've done well in theaters.

• Like 3

Disney needs to market this with Pixar films that went to theaters. As much as I have loved their recent stuff, if you throw in Soul or Luca or Turning Red into the marketing, you're asking for trouble regarding people thinking it will stream.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

Disney needs to market this with Pixar films that went to theaters. As much as I have loved their recent stuff, if you throw in Soul or Luca or Turning Red into the marketing, you're asking for trouble regarding people thinking it will stream.

What do you mean by that?

57 minutes ago, JWR said:

What do you mean by that?

I think what he was saying is that Disney should use the pre-pandemic films in the marketing instead of those that went directly to streaming to prevent people from thinking that this is another one of those movies that will have a short stay in cinemas.

Like, "From the studio that brought you COCO..." kind of thing and not using LUCA or SOUL.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

I think what he was saying is that Disney should use the pre-pandemic films in the marketing instead of those that went directly to streaming to prevent people from thinking that this is another one of those movies that will have a short stay in cinemas.

Like, "From the studio that brought you COCO..." kind of thing and not using LUCA or SOUL.

Ah, I definitely agree. "From the studio that brought you Inside Out and Coco" would definitely be the better way to sell this. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lurrrrk said:

This movie making more than Lightyear would be a win considering the insane competition.

It's possible... if the word of mouth is strong enough. That was what doomed Lightyear more than the competition itself. Reviews for that were tepid, word of mouth was so-so, and animated science fiction tends to be box office poison.