Eric the Marxist

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

5 hours ago, Morieris said:

It's growing on me. I still wish animation studios had the bravery to make movies about racial / immigrant themes with actual humans and races in our world, but A) with animation, you can definitely add a ~ twist to it, and B - It's the equivalent of putting peanut butter on a dog pill;

If it's obvious what it is, the GA will probably spit it out and call it "woke" -- It's got to be palatable for them.

Not a movie but the new Moon Girl cartoon does a good job at doing racial themes with humans for a kids show with the superhero background with gentrification being a common theme in episodes.

• Like 1

What is Disney smoking releasing this thing in June on the same weekend as The Flash? It's the same mistake they made releasing Lightyear against JWD, except this will be competing with the first weekend of Flash, not the 2nd weekend of JWD.

Here are 5 hypothetical dates that would be better

6/23/23 -- at least it would have one weekend to itself on this date, although the competition is still brutal. I'm assuming Ruby Gillman is a non-factor

7/7/23 -- Sandwiched between IJ and MIDR, so not ideal, but Spider-Verse would have faded out by this time

7/28/23 -- Disney would have to move Haunted Mansion in order for this day to work, but other than that I think it's the best. The movie can still enjoy summer weekdays while not having anything big later to cut off the legs. The only problem is TMNT is the weekend after.

8/25/23 -- Nothing big coming out this weekend, although a rather unusual spot for a kid's film

9/1/23 -- Labor day release date, but September has the weakest weekdays in the whole year. Will counterprogram Equalizer and The Nun nicely.

6 hours ago, Lurrrrk said:

What is Disney smoking releasing this thing in June on the same weekend as The Flash? It's the same mistake they made releasing Lightyear against JWD, except this will be competing with the first weekend of Flash, not the 2nd weekend of JWD.

6/23/23 -- at least it would have one weekend to itself on this date, although the competition is still brutal. I'm assuming Ruby Gillman is a non-factor

7/7/23 -- Sandwiched between IJ and MIDR, so not ideal, but Spider-Verse would have faded out by this time

7/28/23 -- Disney would have to move Haunted Mansion in order for this day to work, but other than that I think it's the best. The movie can still enjoy summer weekdays while not having anything big later to cut off the legs. The only problem is TMNT is the weekend after.

8/25/23 -- Nothing big coming out this weekend, although a rather unusual spot for a kid's film

9/1/23 -- Labor day release date, but September has the weakest weekdays in the whole year. Will counterprogram Equalizer and The Nun nicely.

Consider this: Inside Out came out a week after Jurassic World made $207M OW. Yet, the former still made $90M OW because it had incredible word of mouth and it was catered towards a different audience.

The Flash will take the #1 spot that weekend but it's possible that Elemental can coexist with it.

16 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Happy about the enthusiastic reception of the footage

I gotta say the ´´pixar returning to form´´ slogan is so tiring at this point tho, and weirdly i keep seeing it even in official reviews for all their movies

it did makes sense to say that when Inside Out or Coco dropped since just recently they was releasing bad movies in a row

but say this after Inside Out / Coco, a bunch of very well made sequels and the punch of Soul / Luca / Turning Red seems so weird ... Lightyear aside, Pixar is only releasing very well received movie for many years now

Luca and TR are nowhere near as good as Inside Out/Coco imho. I definitely don't think the public overall considers them to be either. An argument can be made for Soul I guess, which personally I really liked but I thought the final act felt weak and anticlimatic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Luca and TR are nowhere near as good as Inside Out/Coco imho. I definitely don't think the public overall considers them to be either. An argument can be made for Soul I guess, which personally I really liked but I thought the final act felt weak and anticlimatic.

I could have written this post exactly, particularly the Soul piece, where an absolutely amazing movie just blows the landing so it can't QUITE be the perfect movie...

100% agreement with everything!

7 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

They're not but they were both well received. Much better received than Lightyear. And, yeah, that Soul last act or so could've been a bit better. Agree. If Elemental can get the same or better reception than Luca and Turning Red that's a great thing for Pixar.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lurrrrk said:

Rise of Gru released the weekend before Thor 4 opened with 145M DOM. Didn't seem to hurt it much. Legged it out to 370M+ DOM. Elemental and Flash aren't really playing to the same audience. And, Elemental is looking at having a leggy run if well received with summer days. Probably a really nice multiplier. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I agreed, but not every movie have to be better than their predecessors in order to keep consistency, otherwise they would have to keep returning to form forever. 

Returning to form is when something is good after a bunch of bad movies, or at least notably worse movies than the great ones. While i do agreed Inside Out and Coco are among the better ones, i don´t think neither of the recent movies is that much worse than these 2 in any metric including the ones from audiences to be perceived as a miss.

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

I agreed, but not every movie have to be better than their predecessors in order to keep consistency, otherwise they would have to keep returning to form forever. 

Returning to form is when something is good after a bunch of bad movies, or at least notably worse movies than the great ones. While i do agreed Inside Out and Coco are among the better ones, i don´t think neither of the recent movies is that much worse than these 2 in any metric including the ones from audiences to be perceived as a miss.

Yup. I imagine many consider Inside Out and Coco two of the very best animated movies of the 21st century. I don't expect Elemental to be as good as either. But, as good or better than Luca and Turning Red is a reasonable goal.

• Like 1

For all the complaints about Elemental looking like a "basic" Pixar film, I think that might help. It has an appealing straightforward premise that makes it easier to sell to audiences than Lightyear.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JWR said:

For all the complaints about Elemental looking like a "basic" Pixar film, I think that might help. It has an appealing straightforward premise that makes it easier to sell to audiences than Lightyear.

Both Elemental and Wish look like back to basics for Disney and Pixar IMO.

29 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Both Elemental and Wish look like back to basics for Disney and Pixar IMO.

yeah ! that always work well ! nothing wrong there + the company and animation division needs that ! btw it's not basic it's classic ! almost every pixar movie carries a deeper meaning than u see on the outside that's y they work so well as a family movie where each member can enjoy !

1 hour ago, JWR said:

That did not work for The Good Dinosaur. You couldn't have gotten more straightforward than 'boy and his pet' (even if the twist was that the dino was the boy and the boy the pet).

I think the movie's hidden non-basicness is its big selling point. For whatever reason they've been obscuring the big themes in their marketing that would actually make it stand out. You barely have an inkling that there are any romance or immigration allegories in the movie based on the trailer, and what we have seen of the Wade/Ember dynamic emphasizes the oafish guy / grounded girl stereotypes, which makes it fall especially flat when Wade seems to be scolding Ember for "obeying the rules".

I wish they would've just used Thomas Newman's score as a soundtrack and editing guide for the most recent trailer, any other pop or factory produced music is destined to give off a wrong impression.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

That did not work for The Good Dinosaur. You couldn't have gotten more straightforward than 'boy and his pet' (even if the twist was that the dino was the boy and the boy the pet).

It's not guaranteed to work, mind you. But more times than not, these movies are sold as being straightforward only for the actual story to be deeper.