Eric Prime

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

List of Pixar Summer 5th weekends (comparable movies)

Cars: $10,734,082

Ratatouille: $7,455,594

WALL E: $6,422,186
Up: $13,061,737

Cars 2: $5,655,857

Brave: $6,024,987

Monsters University: $5,121,878

Inside Out: $11,544,080

Cars 3: $3,119,815
Elemental: $8 million?

Comparing the 6 Pixar films post-Toy Story 4 compared to the 6 Pixar films post-Toy Story 3

1. Inside Out

2. Soul

3. Turning Red

4. Elemental

5. Finding Dory

6. Monsters University 

7. Onward 

8. Luca

9. Lightyear

10. Brave

11. The Good Dinosaur 

12. Cars 2

Definitely think this era is stronger than the movies after Toy Story 3 though Elio matching Coco is a tall order. 

EDIT: Actually it would be Cars 3 next which I actually liked but a way easier bar to clear than Coco

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 2

List of Pixar Summer 6th weekends (comparable movies)

Cars: $7,840,985

Ratatouille: $3,987,800

WALL E: $4,603,179
Up: $6,521,389    

Cars 2: $2,349,142

Brave: $4,305,153    

Monsters University: $2,854,838

Inside Out: $7,414,528

Cars 3: $1,918,697

Elemental: $6 million?

• Like 1

Would have to maintain holds as good as last week for the rest of its run to get there. Have to see how it holds up against Barbieheimer and Turtles. It is losing over 30% of its showings this weekend so it'll be tough to keep this kind of run going

Edited by AniNate

39 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Would have to maintain holds as good as last week for the rest of its run to get there. Have to see how it holds up against Barbieheimer and Turtles. It is losing over 30% of its showings this weekend so it'll be tough to keep this kind of run going

Turtles comes too late and might be a nonfactor anyways.

I saw this movie and what a pleasant surprise! I thought the critics were harsh on it deserved more like an 80%. The movie looked absolutely gorgeous, and the characters were engaging. The story was a bit cliche, but I thought it was done well. My only gripe with the movie is that the message at times was a bit too on the nose if they subdued it a bit I think it would've had a higher critic score. But yeah, I think the movie will age well and be considered underrated as time comes like A Bug's Life.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, deniima said:

Peter Sohn's parents died during the production of this film so it's very much a love letter to them and it's heartwarming to see it connect. Also he really shouldn't be blamed too much for The Good Dinosaur that movie had so much production trouble.

• Like 7
  • Heart 4

3 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Peter Sohn's parents died during the production of this film so it's very much a love letter to them and it's heartwarming to see it connect. Also he really shouldn't be blamed too much for The Good Dinosaur that movie had so much production trouble.

He’s also Korean so he’s ecstatic his own ethnic country backed him up! 

Edited by JohnCarterofEarth

55 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I didn't dislike it, but I see why it didn't take off.

The only reason it's still chugging along is because there really weren't anymore options for young kids until TMNT.

I mean I don't think that's enough to explain why it's now the highest grossing Pixar movie in Korea. Clearly it is legit resonating with a certain audience, and probably striking a chord with diasporas in North America as well.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I mean I don't think that's enough to explain why it's now the highest grossing Pixar movie in Korea. Clearly it is legit resonating with a certain audience, and probably striking a chord with diasporas in North America as well.

I should have mentioned I'm in America. I'm not part of any diaspora and genuinely enjoyed those portions more than anything else in the film and wish there were more. I do think the advertising kneecapped a lot of it stateside and turned it into a last resort for families.

Edited by Morieris

I had issues with the movie myself, I just think it's short sighted to dismiss its legs as a simple lack of options. There are plenty of other things families can do besides go to the movies, and even if you only care to analyze the domestic performance you can't just ignore how it is finding such a ridiculous audience in its director's ancestral origin country

There is certainly a sizable Korean population in the US as well

3 hours ago, Morieris said:

The only reason it's still chugging along is because there really weren't anymore options for young kids until TMNT.

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

I just think it's short sighted to dismiss its legs as a simple lack of options.

Lightyear and Strange World are proof enough that people can ignore a movie even if the market is empty.

• Like 3

List of Pixar Summer 7th weekends (comparable movies)

Toy Story 3: $5,122,907

Elemental: $5 million?

Incredibles 2: $4,980,232

Cars: $4,947,198

Up: $4,715,746    

Inside Out: $4,511,004

Finding Dory: $4,322,747

WALL-E: $3,140,083

Brave: $2,986,214    

Ratatouille: $2,373,416

Elemental might very well have the 2nd biggest 7th weekend of a Summer Pixar movie on July 28-30.

It won't beat Toy Story 4 but it might beat Toy Story 3 ($5.1 million)

edit: Aww crap I forgot about the original Finding Nemo

Edited by cannastop