Eric Lasagna

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

11 hours ago, deniima said:

Looks like Elemental will be getting a decent-sized expansion this weekend, domestically. Let's hope it fares better than Mermaid did this past week lol (I'm sure it will).

Will beat Cars 3 at least but more importantly, it bring back the old-fashioned Pixar expansion during LD weekend. 

58 minutes ago, Morieris said:

on The Town today, Jeff Bock is insistent there are rumors this is getting a D+ show.

Wonder if it A) exists, and B ) will be in the same vignette style as Zootopia+, which I would like.

I really don't like the Disney Plus shows and I didn't really appreciate Zootopia+ either. I don't think they drive any subscriptions at all.

Edited by cannastop

Pretty sure this series will just be shorts like all the other Disney/Pixar "series" have been. These shows really just exist as replacements for the bonus feature shorts you would get in the DVD. But I guess they could be cute and shows Disney wants to keep the franchise popular and in the limelight.

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

I really don't like the Disney Plus shows and I didn't really appreciate Zootopia+ either. I don't think they drive any subscriptions at all.

My two year old is obsessed with Cars on the Road and that alone makes Disney+ a necessity at my house. There's definitely an audience for these short form shows.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

My two year old is obsessed with Cars on the Road and that alone makes Disney+ a necessity at my house. There's definitely an audience for these short form shows.

Cars on the Road is like the best of these short animated shows. It's quality is close to the main films.

• Like 2

Not sure how much of a boon Cars on the Road really was, the showrunner Steve Purcell got laid off as part of that June purge. I know the appeal of Cars goes far beyond the personnel but I have to say I'm surprised they're still looking at investing in streaming projects again so soon especially regarding an IP that just barely broke even at the box office and where the strength of ancillary revenue streams is still unclear.

Whatever happens I imagine it rides in part on how much interest Win or Lose generates. That's gonna be the first real test of how a big budget Disney animated series performs.

19 hours ago, YM! said:

My 160m was a bit optimistic but I can see a decent sized jump as Pixar Labor Day rereleases have done well. Cars 3 for instant added around 3M upon Labor Day weekend onward for its gross and it did about the same as Elemental, Inside Out added about 8M. The question is how wide of an expansion is it. If it’s about the same as TLM and around 2000 TC, then yeah it won’t happen but 2800-2900 TC it’s plausible.

• Like 6

If you want to hear it from him it's about the 24 min mark in the town podcast, claims he's heard a tv series on the way and maybe a sequel.

Honestly from the context it sounds like the D+ thing is more of a certainty and the feature sequel is just speculation on his part.

Edited by AniNate

6 hours ago, AniNate said:

Not sure how much of a boon Cars on the Road really was, the showrunner Steve Purcell got laid off as part of that June purge. I know the appeal of Cars goes far beyond the personnel but I have to say I'm surprised they're still looking at investing in streaming projects again so soon especially regarding an IP that just barely broke even at the box office and where the strength of ancillary revenue streams is still unclear.

Whatever happens I imagine it rides in part on how much interest Win or Lose generates. That's gonna be the first real test of how a big budget Disney animated series performs.

This could be horribly misinformed but isn't it going to be significantly cheaper than a normal "IP" adaptation because they're reusing assets for the most part?  

It may indeed just be a similar short form kind of deal which probably isn't too big of an investment. I can see that being something Sohn decides to work on for the next few years.

I'm glad things worked out for him but I'm still not sure how I feel about him getting another feature gig, I admire his commitment to concept and his easygoing vibes but I'm just not sure his storytelling chops are there the way the old braintrust's were. In the future maybe I'd prefer if he got some more hands-on assistance from Docter or Stanton.

• Like 1

Just now, AniNate said:

I'm glad things worked out for him but I'm still not sure how I feel about him getting another feature gig, I admire his commitment to concept and his easygoing vibes but I'm just not sure his storytelling chops are there the way the old braintrust's were. In the future maybe I'd prefer if he got some more hands-on assistance from Docter or Stanton.

I'm perfectly fine with Peter Sohn directing another feature. Maybe it's up to the screenwriters to make his movies better. I don't think Pete Docter is going to intervene because he doesn't seem like someone who would, and Andrew Stanton seems absent from Pixar. The original Pixar braintrust is dead.

Domee Shi seemed to have a better sense of narrative for her story it's true, and it's also true I'm looking forward to her future work whereas I'm mostly indifferent to Peter Sohn's work. Though I liked Elemental a lot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cannastop said:

no? Otherwise Toy Story sequels would be a lot cheaper.

Not really because Each of the Toy Story sequels were major leap forward in terms of quality of animation which is not that necessary for any potential sequel for Elemental

4 minutes ago, Immortal said:

Not really because Each of the Toy Story sequels were major leap forward in terms of quality of animation which is not that necessary for any potential sequel for Elemental

OK but why would Pixar do that for Toy Story and not Elemental. Elemental also has a $200 million budget