Eric is Quiet

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

2 hours ago, AniNate said:

Would make sense for that sporting event setpiece to be what they emphasize here

That too. But I think it's mainly because Disney needs this to be a big hit after suffering two major animated flops in 2022. And this is a good first step. 

“There is talk of longer theatrical windows for Elemental (June 16) and Disney Animation’s Wish (Nov. 22) in hopes of luring families back to theaters.”

Cool. Now get Elemental the fuck out of June so it doesn’t die, thank you.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/marvel-star-wars-tv-shows-movies-slowdown-1235326681/

• Like 2

Terrible release date for sure. Its going to be buried between all the blockbusters. I dont remember any Pixar movie opening day and date with a anticipated movie. it will not get that many Imax/PLF shows as well consequently. Flash will target young kids for sure as well. 

Should release it in spring or fall. Market is now open for a animated movie but we dont have anything opening for a while. 

Inside Out opened to $90 million the same weekend Jurassic World was still pulling over $100 million. They can coexist and maybe even experience spillover effect if the quality is there.

Granted, maybe the brand isn't the kind of draw it used to be but I feel like moving would be an implicit admission that Pixar is a lesser choice now. Legs do still matter for kids movies as evidenced by Puss, and that is an advantage that a mid June release still provides as opposed to one later in the summer. Even though it's being released in a crowded frame, it'll have more than a month as being the most recent animated film on the market.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

Just now, AniNate said:

Inside Out opened to $90 million the same weekend Jurassic World was still pulling over $100 million. They can coexist and maybe even experience spillover effect if the quality is there.

Granted, maybe the brand isn't the kind of draw it used to be but I feel like moving would be an implicit admission that Pixar is a lesser choice now. Legs do still matter for kids movies as evidenced by Puss, and that is an advantage that a mid June release still provides as opposed to one later in the summer.

I think a good strategy would be to raise awareness beforehand. Maybe a screening at CinemaCon or Cannes. Or an early screenings like what Puss did.

• Like 1

Just now, AniNate said:

Granted, maybe the brand isn't the kind of draw it used to be but I feel like moving would be an implicit admission that Pixar is a lesser choice now. Legs do still matter for kids movies as evidenced by Puss, and that is an advantage that a mid June release still provides as opposed to one later in the summer.

Different Era. Disney/Pixar animation were in a position of strength. Plus that was a Pete Docter movie which had universal acclaim. I am skeptical the director of Good Dinosaur can pull out anything close to what Docter did. Now as the article cited above there is an innate expectation to wait for D+ release. Back in Inside Out era it did not hit DVD/Streaming for 4/5 months and we had fewer streaming channels constantly providing content for families. Plus we are in a tiktok era where entertainment need to be delivered in a minute video :-)

33 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Different Era. Disney/Pixar animation were in a position of strength. Plus that was a Pete Docter movie which had universal acclaim. I am skeptical the director of Good Dinosaur can pull out anything close to what Docter did. Now as the article cited above there is an innate expectation to wait for D+ release. Back in Inside Out era it did not hit DVD/Streaming for 4/5 months and we had fewer streaming channels constantly providing content for families. Plus we are in a tiktok era where entertainment need to be delivered in a minute video 🙂

Well, whatever the quality of Elemental is, I think its fate won't be much different with a fall release than a summer one and moving it around isn't going to do anything to instill more faith in artistic merit.

If it does in fact have some, a Cannes/Cinemacon screening would definitely help to generate initial buzz and give it a leg up as being a critically acclaimed choice. I have far more doubts that it's there for anything else mainstream opening in June save maybe for Spiderverse 2, but that's probably gonna be more frontloaded no matter how good it is.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1