Eric Duncan

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

20 hours ago, AniNate said:

I think with a 90%ish RT Lightyear would've done 250-300mil.

Elemental's a big wild card. Premise that isn't an immediate selling point (even if it is easier to distill to a few sentences than Lightyear's), director officially responsible for their one pre-covid flop, and lingering questions about the brand's current drawing power. I do still feel the studio has a lot at stake with this release, especially given recent news of Disney's weak financials and layoffs. I don't think they'd be immune from cuts.

To be fair, TGD had a very troubled production. Sohn just stepped in after numerous rewrites and director changes. This will be the first film that's fully his.

Animation looks beautifully rendered, character designs seem very Pixar, concept seems very familiar. Can't say I have any burning desire to go out of my way to see this but I'll eventually get around to watching it eventually, possibly. Maybe.

As an aside, the rough Chinese title is 疯狂元素城, or Crazy Element City, which is very much in the pattern of 疯狂动物城 (Crazy Animal City, aka Zootopia).

For an original movie, the concept is disappointingly derivative (and the animation, while beautifully rendered, lacks the originality of Spider-Verse or Bad Guys or Turning Red or…………)

• Like 1

This looks really good. I hope 2023 is the year where WDAS and Pixar make a big comeback with this and 'Wish'. 'Strange World' is almost guaranteed to bomb so I would love to see 'Elemental' doing at least +$200m DOM and +$450m WW. I also think that with the pandemic people got used to watching animated Disney movies at home but Minions 2 just made almost $950m WW so people are still willing to pay for animated movies. Would have loved to see how 'Soul', 'Luca', and 'Turning Red' would have performed in theatres without COVID, I think 'Soul' would have been massive in the US

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Suddenly I feel more optimistic of this movie's box office

Big same. It helps knowing that the person in charge actually respects animation.

Edited by JWR