IndustriousAngel

BO Germany/Austria: Dune first 2024 blockbuster (3mil admissions)

I'm not that optimistic at the moment when I look at "my" theaters.
Sadly we won't get Thursday estimates this evening :(.
But I will check the South-West reports which will (hopefully) be posted in 10 minutes and compare these numbers with the Star Wars: The Force Awakens numbers (which were probably more frontloaded).

At least I can report that Rogue One - A Star Wars Story starts in 760 theaters with mostly good reviews but also a few bad and some very good ones.

Edit: I'm sorry, also no South-West reports today. So we have to be patient for at least 9 hours ;).
The WOM at movie websites seems to be pretty good so far.

Edited by el sid

First weekend estimates from insidekino.de and it looks like a close one:

#1: R1 - 1.025k admissions

#2: Sing - 300k (-20%, good)

#3: FB - 175k (-35%, not so good)

#4: WbdH - 125k (-30%)

#5: OCP - 85k (-30%)

Well, it looks as if R1 can make it to the million, but of course it depends on the internal multiplier. I liked it well enough, most reviews are good and my crowd sounded mildly positive so I hope it will not crumble!

Edited by IndustriousAngel
  • Like 7

Some Thursday actuals (source: insidekino.de/Blickpunkt:Film):

New Releases:

Rogue One - A Star Wars Story: 220k (starts in 760 theaters, mostly good reviews; Star Wars VII had 560k and 2.15M admissions on its first weekend but I guess that movie was more frontloaded so its not a completely fair comparison)
Paula: 4k (ca. 100 theaters, ok to good reviews)
Shut In: 1.2k (103, bad reviews)

Holdovers:

Sing: 25k (last Thursday 30k whole day)
Fantastic Beasts: 16k (25k)
Hartmanns: 13k (16.5k)
Office Christmas: 9k (14.5k)

So two ok and two very ok Thursday holds given the competition.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IndustriousAngel said:

First weekend estimates from insidekino.de and it looks like a close one:

#1: R1 - 1.025k admissions

#2: Sing - 300k (-20%, good)

#3: FB - 175k (-35%, not so good)

#4: WbdH - 125k (-30%)

#5: OCP - 85k (-30%)

Well, it looks as if R1 can make it to the million, but of course it depends on the internal multiplier. I liked it well enough, most reviews are good and my crowd sounded mildly positive so I hope it will not crumble!

I hope RO can increase from that estimate :)

I don't think that -30% is bad for FB. Holidays start next week, RO is huge competition. I think that's good!

FB at 2,79M

WbdH 2,73M

Both should pass 3M by far... They'll pass maybe even 3,5M ^_^

Edited by Aristis

The Friday estimates (insidekino.de/forum):

New Releases:

Rogue One: 210k – it stays close
Shut In: 3.5k

Holdovers:

Willkommen bei den Hartmanns: 31.5k (last Friday 37.5k) - surprisingly good
FB: 26.5k (52.5k) - remember that it was often/always underestimated
Sing: 24.5k evening only (35k also only evening) - very ok
Office Christmas Party: 22.5k (36k) - also ok
Arrival: 13k (26k)
Sully: 6.5k (18k) *
Underworld 5: 4.5k (15.5k)

* I don't know why Sully doesn't do better here. Not that this movie would need the help of the German moviegoers to be a WW hit but still I'm disappointed. I liked the film and would rate it B+.
I guess it wasn't well-frequented enough in its first week and than too many other big films that overperformed like Fantastic Beasts and Hartmanns, etc. caused that Sully only got the smallest cinema halls and often only one playtime a day (e.g. in mathäser and the cineplex where I saw it).

Edited by el sid
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Jonwo said:

It'll be interesting that Moana does in Germany, I could see it eating into Sing's legs 

That's certyinly the case, although Moana starts with surprisingly little buzz. Of course, over the holidays the market for family movies is bigger than anywhen else through the year, so you can have two hits co-exist pretty comfortably.

No 2nd trend so far although it's (such) a nice one? ;)

2nd trend:

#1 Rogue One 1.025k – honestly I didn't think that it will stay over the 1M mark in the 2nd trend but very nice
Sing 325k
FB 175k
Willkommen bei den Hartmanns 125k
#5 Office Christmas Party 90k
Pettersson & Findus - Das schönste Weihnachten überhaupt 60k
Arrival 40k
#8 Die Vampirschwestern 3 40k
Paula - Mein Leben soll ein Fest sein 25k
#10 Shut In 22.5k

Edited by el sid
  • Like 3

screendaily has an article about Germany's year so far

By the end of the third quarter, admissions were down 13.3% and box-office takings had slipped 10.9% year-on-year. The fall has been attributed to a cannibalisation of audiences due to the bunched release dates and poorly reviewed films such as Ben-Hur, as well as the warm weather. 

The top 25 films at the German box office in 2016 (correct until November 30) are below

Germany-box-offic_397.jpg

http://www.screendaily.com/5112318.article

• Like 5

Cannibalisation due to bunched release dates? Give me a break ... sure, let's say the sheer number of CGI movies eats into the possible admissions per movie, but overall, admissions should stay about the same. No, we had a year without breakout hits, with disappointing should-have-been-blockbusters, and very long streaks of excellent weather (remember, going to the movies is only #3 or #4 on the list of possible evening occupations, if at all), plus of course the Euro 2016 and Olympic Games (championship years always are bad BO-wise).

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Aristis said:

Sadly this doesn't tell us if RO had 1M+ admissions. So we'll have to wait :(

At keast it tells us something. I think it is a bit too early for the 1m question, it seems to be rather near (? nah), maybe every ticket  counts? Here it snows... 

21 minutes ago, jb007 said:

Let's certainly hope it does cross the 1M threshold since it is the last hope for 2016. 

I hope so too