Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

21 minutes ago, Lucasmessi12 said:

We cant say it because it is not fair, you're probably comparing  3 phase MCU movies with DCU movies that are at the beginning, MCU phase 3 movies has a help from a much more consolidated/recognized brand because there are already more than 20 films while DCU is going to 6 now , in addition most of these phase 3 MCU movies are sequels and  sequels of the big Hollywood franchises have a growth at foreign markets compared to  original movies (this happens in about 80% of the cases).

What we can do is compare the supposed phase 2 of DC (pos JL) with phase 2 of the MCU (pos Avengers ) will be a much fairer comparison because DCU will have a more recognized brand  OS and will have sequels in it (Wonder Woman 84 and probably Suicide Squad 2, maybe even Aquaman 2), 

Only thing we can say is that Avengers started much bigger than Justice League and left a much better impression for audience, but that's it,  DCU can recover in the next films and in others IP.

Comparing current DC movies and Phase 2 MCU wouldn't be a good way of measuring it either because the Brazilian market fairly grew since Phase 2, reaching R$100m is easier now than it was a few years ago.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Comparing current DC movies and Phase 2 MCU wouldn't be a good way of measuring it either because the Brazilian market fairly grew since Phase 2, reaching R$100m is easier now than it was a few years ago.

I'm talking about all OS markets, not just Brazil.

If we can not compare DCU movies from now with 2 phase MCU movies, I do not see how we can compare 3 phase MCU movies (more than 20 movies and all  sequels) with the first 5 DCU movies , this is much more unfair.

Edited by Lucasmessi12
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lucasmessi12 said:

I'm talking about all OS markets, not just Brazil.

If we can not compare DCU movies from now with 2 phase MCU movies, I do not see how we can compare 3 phase MCU movies (more than 20 movies and all  sequels) with the first 5 DCU movies , this is much more unfair.

Isn't that even worse for OS markets? Markets like Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia..were much smaller during Phase 2 because they experienced a crazy growth these last few years, much more than Brazil.

Don't forget that DCU started stronger in the movie market with the Batman Trilogy, Marvel was catching up. Even the Spider-Man Trilogy movies never managed to pass $1B WW while Batman did it twice.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Isn't that even worse for OS markets? Markets like Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia..were much smaller during Phase 2 because they experienced a crazy growth these last few years, much more than Brazil.

Exchange rates are better in the MCU phase 2 era, that balances things, And come on, we're talking about three/four year old movies, not 15 year old movies, those markets you talked about didn't triple in size in that time or something like that.

But right, let's compare only MCU movies from now and from a brand that is  much more recognized Overseas because it already has more than 20 films, and that already is in Phase 3 where all these phase 3 movies are sequels  and compare with the beginning of the DCU, it is much fairer in your opinion,  Right?:D

Edited by Lucasmessi12

14 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

1600 screens.

24 minutes ago, Lucasmessi12 said:

Exchange rates are better in the MCU phase 2 era, that balances things, And come on, we're talking about three/four year old movies, not 15 year old movies, those markets you talked about didn't triple in size in that time or something like that.

But right, let's compare only MCU movies from now and from a brand that is  much more recognized Overseas because it already has more than 20 films, and that already is in Phase 3 where all these phase 3 movies are sequels  and compare with the beginning of the DCU, it is much fairer in your opinion,  Right?:D

You're talking like there were no DC movies before they started the DCU...What about The Batman Trilogy? Superman Returns? DC didn't suddenly start existing a few years ago in theaters...I'm not even talking about the 90s and cartoons/ TV shows...

And you seem irritated, judging by your "Right? :D " and there's no reason for that, I'm not attacking you you know so you need to relax..

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Don't forget that DCU started stronger in the movie market with the Batman Trilogy, Marvel was catching up. Even the Spider-Man Trilogy movies never managed to pass $1B WW while Batman did it twice.

I don't think those Trilogies are comparable... While all Nolan Batman movies are great the SM-franchise got worse and so it peaked with the first one in many markets (there are many countries, probably mostly european, where it's still the biggest). And that was 2002, only one movie managed to do 1B by then, when the Dark Knight hit that mark in 2008 three movies were able to do so (was still something special though).

TDK and TDKR were probably more successfull than any of SM2 or 3, but I don't think it's that easy for SM1. It's extremely difficult to compare movies worldwide and it becomes even more difficult to compare them if they are some years apart...

However, the former DC movies from the 20th century were stronger than those from Marvel so you're right but with the wrong Trilogy ;)

(Not really related to Brazil but I didn't start the fire :P)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Aristis said:

I don't think those Trilogies are comparable... While all Nolan Batman movies are great the SM-franchise got worse and so it peaked with the first one in many markets (there are many countries, probably mostly european, where it's still the biggest). And that was 2002, only one movie managed to do 1B by then, when the Dark Knight hit that mark in 2008 three movies were able to do so (was still something special though).

TDK and TDKR were probably more successfull than any of SM2 or 3, but I don't think it's that easy for SM1. It's extremely difficult to compare movies worldwide and it becomes even more difficult to compare them if they are some years apart...

However, the former DC movies from the 20th century were stronger than those from Marvel so you're right but with the wrong Trilogy ;)

(Not really related to Brazil but I didn't start the fire :P)

Hey, it's not a fire xD

I mean, it's meant to be a nice debate between civilized people, I'm not into the DC vs Marvel war after all I like both.

As for your argument about Spider-Man the problem here is that it seems to be very subjective because everytime I hear fans talking about that Raimi Trilogy they always praise Spider-Man 2 for the major part of them so I'm not sure that "the SM franchise got worse" is valid ^^"

7 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Hey, it's not a fire xD

I mean, it's meant to be a nice debate between civilized people, I'm not into the DC vs Marvel war after all I like both.

As for your argument about Spider-Man the problem here is that it seems to be very subjective because everytime I hear fans talking about that Raimi Trilogy they always praise Spider-Man 2 for the major part of them so I'm not sure that "the SM franchise got worse" is valid ^^"

You're right, it's pretty civilized for a debate of Marvel vs DC :)

It's long ago I saw those Spider Man movies, actually I can't really remember anything apart from the first... But the argument wasn't really that the first is the best but that it was the biggest (even if the third had a bigger $-gross five years later).

10 hours ago, Aristis said:

You're right, it's pretty civilized for a debate of Marvel vs DC :)

It's long ago I saw those Spider Man movies, actually I can't really remember anything apart from the first... But the argument wasn't really that the first is the best but that it was the biggest (even if the third had a bigger $-gross five years later).

At this time the movie was mostly reliant on mature markets with a slow growth (Europe, North America, Japan) so it wasn't easy to grow.

The current trilogy starting with Homecoming could have a way different fate, particularly thanks to Asia.

7 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

$1m Opening Day for Aquaman, exactly the same number than Wonder Woman back in 2017. Wonder Woman's OW reached $8.4m so we can expect something between $8m-9m OW in Brazil for Aquaman.

1.3M OD: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/box-office-aquaman-hurtles-past-150m-overseas-1169392

On Wednesday and Thursday, Aquaman launched in additional key markets, including Russia and Brazil, both of which turned in $1.3 million.

• Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

$1.3m Opening Day for Aquaman, exactly the same number than Wonder Woman back in 2017. Wonder Woman's OW reached $8.4m so we can expect something between $8m-9m OW in Brazil for Aquaman.

I don't find Black Panther's OD but it grossed $3.8m in 2 days so probably close to $1.9m OD. Aquaman seems to be a stronger movie than Wonder Woman  was but maybe not as big as Black Panther.

Edited by Fullbuster

19 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I don't find Black Panther's OD but it grossed $3.8m in 2 days so probably close to $1.9m OD. Aquaman seems to be a stronger movie than Wonder Woman  was but maybe not as big as Black Panther.

..Maybe the holidays should help Aquabro?? 

2 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

..Maybe the holidays should help Aquabro?? 

Aquabro? xD

Well yeah, I guess it's possible. The problem with Brazil is the limited number of cinemas/theaters compared to the overall population so it means movies lose screens whenever other big movies release, and with Mary Poppins, Mortal Enfines and Ralph 2 coming in the next few weeks the loss of screens is inevitable.

However remember that it's just conjecture and a strong WoM could give it incredible legs in the end.