Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

1 hour ago, Flamengo81 said:

So...

Guardians has sold 430 seats for Wednesday "previews" in 40 showings.

I will be tracking all theaters from greater Salvador area (3rd/4th biggest city in Brazil) for the major releases that I have the time to track. Guardians will be my first data, but only a comp in future for T-7 and beyond.

Awesome! I tried to make scripts work in the past to track pre sales but lack of time always got in the way. Thank you very much for doing this! I will ask for your help in the future!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

Awesome! I tried to make scripts work in the past to track pre sales but lack of time always got in the way. Thank you very much for doing this! I will ask for your help in the future!

As of right now, I am tracking manually. Script will take a time to master and implement that I don't have right now, but I will try when I have the time. But actually counting manually is not that bad unless you track a huge amount of theaters, It took less than 1 hour for me and I am tracking 7 theaters from 3 different chains, so you might try that depending on how many theaters you are thinking to track. If you track Natal, I am sure it will be less than Salvador. I am just beggining doing this, but feel free to ask me anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I'll be watching Knights of the Zodiac in the next hours. Can't wait for it!

I am interested to see how this will do over here. It's likely Brazil will be the biggest overseas market for this movie.

• Like 1

Knights of the Zodiac is out on 2nd place, with Left Behind 2 on 5th and Renfield bombing in 10th.

4 hours ago, Flamengo81 said:

As of right now, I am tracking manually. Script will take a time to master and implement that I don't have right now, but I will try when I have the time. But actually counting manually is not that bad unless you track a huge amount of theaters, It took less than 1 hour for me and I am tracking 7 theaters from 3 different chains, so you might try that depending on how many theaters you are thinking to track. If you track Natal, I am sure it will be less than Salvador. I am just beggining doing this, but feel free to ask me anything.

Ok, then I'll give it a shot counting sales from the wednesday previews of GotG3 on the 4 chains here.

T-5 Cinemark: 7 showings, 2091 seats, 55 sold (2.93%)

T-5 Cinepolis: 7 showings, 1289 seats, 154 sold (11.95%)

T-5 Moviecom: 4 showings, 536 seats, 44 sold (8.21%)

T-5 Cineflix: Not holding pre-sales.

T-5 Total: 3916 seats, 253 sold (6.46%)

Took me a long time since I tried counting every seat lol. Not gonna do this always or everyday, and I don't think Natal gives as well as a good picture as Salvador, but I guess once in a while might be fun to do, to have some data, right?

Edited by ThatWaluigiDude
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

Ok, then I'll give it a shot counting sales from the wednesday previews of GotG3 on the 4 chains here.

Took me a long time since I tried counting every seat lol. Not gonna do this always or everyday, and I don't think Natal gives as well as a good picture as Salvador, but I guess once in a while might be fun to do, to have some data, right?

Of course it's good. As we have learned from the experts in the tracking thread, more data is always helpful, especially when we don't have any tracking data for here. I think with time and enough comps we could predict somewhat accurately things over here. 

Will post numbers from today later in the night.

Edited by Flamengo81
  • Heart 3

“Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 3” Greater Salvador Region tracking: T-05

SHOWINGS

TOTAL SEATS

SEATS SOLD

PCT. SOLD

4.59%

SEATS SOLD TODAY

So... first daily numbers are here. At least managing to track numbers daily in the final week for Guardians will be useful to compare how strong it finishes in the future comp with The Flash I suppose.

Edited by Flamengo81
  • Like 6

On 4/28/2023 at 4:49 PM, ThatWaluigiDude said:

GotG3 T-4 Cinemark: 7 showings, 2091 seats, 53 sold (2.53%)

GotG3 T-4 Cinepolis: 7 showings, 1289 seats, 165 sold (12.8%)

GotG3 T-4 Moviecom: 4 showings, 536 seats, 55 sold (10.26%)

GotG3 T-4 Cineflix: Not holding pre-sales.

GotG3 T-4 Total: 3916 seats, 273 sold (6.97%)

How about that, everyone improving and Cinemark going down lol. Guess I'll count these days left for Guardians to not leave things unfinished.

EDIT: Fixed the total seats

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Flamengo81 said:

“Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 3” Greater Salvador Region tracking: T-05

SHOWINGS

TOTAL SEATS

SEATS SOLD

PCT. SOLD

4.59%

SEATS SOLD TODAY

So... first daily numbers are here. At least managing to track numbers daily in the final week for Guardians will be useful to compare how strong it finishes in the future comp with The Flash I suppose.

“Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 3” Greater Salvador Region tracking: T-04

SHOWINGS

TOTAL SEATS

SEATS SOLD

PCT. SOLD

5.02%

SEATS SOLD TODAY

Due to being still uncharted territory, I don't know how pre-sales exactly behave here to analyze how good or bad pace is, but selling less tickets than yesterday is probably not a good sign given that we are just 4 days left.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

GotG3 T-4 Total: 3916 seats, 253 sold (6.97%)

How about that, everyone improving and Cinemark going down lol. Guess I'll count these days left for Guardians to not leave things unfinished.

I think you forgot to update the total sold numbers, Waluigi. But yeah, would be great if you could keep tracking it these last couple of days. 

4 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Any number for Knights of the Zodiac live action flick?

No numbers for Brazil in specific, but it made $2.4M this weekend. Japan should have done around $350k-400k, so I will assume most of the $2M left came from Brazil, unless it did better than expected in some other region.

3 hours ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

No numbers for Brazil in specific, but it made $2.4M this weekend. Japan should have done around $350k-400k, so I will assume most of the $2M left came from Brazil, unless it did better than expected in some other region.

Maybe Mexico?

23 hours ago, Flamengo81 said:

“Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 3” Greater Salvador Region tracking: T-04

SHOWINGS

TOTAL SEATS

SEATS SOLD

PCT. SOLD

5.02%

SEATS SOLD TODAY

Due to being still uncharted territory, I don't know how pre-sales exactly behave here to analyze how good or bad pace is, but selling less tickets than yesterday is probably not a good sign given that we are just 4 days left.

“Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 3” Greater Salvador Region tracking: T-03

SHOWINGS

TOTAL SEATS

SEATS SOLD

PCT. SOLD

5.37%

SEATS SOLD TODAY

So... again: not enough data to know how pre-sales behave here, but selling less for the second day in a row at this far in the run does not bodes well at all.

Obs: I have a feeling that reviews matter a lot less over here than it does domestic, so there is probably not a significant bump with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flamengo81 said:

So... again: not enough data to know how pre-sales behave here, but selling less for the second day in a row at this far in the run does not bodes well at all.

Obs: I have a feeling that reviews matter a lot less over here than it does domestic, so there is probably not a significant bump with it.

A bit fun that both your sample in Brazil and my sample in Mexico are actually following a decreasing trend. I think holidays are hurting instead of helping because they're allowing people to catch up with buzzy stuff like Mario or recent horror titles.

About reviews I think they're just not noisy enough -either in a good nor bad way- to raise awareness. And I don't know Brazil but embargo still going on here so we only have the US ones. 

Edited by Carlangonz
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

A bit fun that both your sample in Brazil and my sample in Mexico are actually following a decreasing trend.

That actually do not surprise me at all. Brazil and Mexico are very similar in many aspects and movie tastes and moviegoing behaviors is probably one of them.

24 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

I think holidays are hurting instead of helping because they're allowing people to catch up with buzzy stuff like Mario or recent horror titles.

That is a good theory. We will see if that is the case based in the holds of those movies this weekend, but I can see that being a factor. I highly doubt that movies tend to not increase in sales close to the release.

27 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

About reviews I think they're just not noisy enough -either in a good nor bad way- to raise awareness. And I don't know Brazil but embargo still going on here so we only have the US ones. 

Hm... I think I saw like one reaction from a brazilian youtuber that went to Cinemacon, but that is it.

On 4/29/2023 at 9:31 PM, ThatWaluigiDude said:

GotG3 T-4 Total: 3916 seats, 273 sold (6.97%)

EDIT: Fixed the total seats

GotG3 T-3 Cinemark: 7 showings, 2091 seats, 56 sold (2.68%)

GotG3 T-3 Cinepolis: 7 showings, 1289 seats, 168 sold (13.03%)

GotG3 T-3 Moviecom: 4 showings, 536 seats, 72 sold (13.43%)

GotG3 T-3 Cineflix: Not holding pre-sales.

GotG3 T-3 Total: 3916 seats, 296 sold (7.56%)

New sold: 23

Too tired to post it yesterday, but here it is. It strikes me as odd how Moviecom, despite being the smallest chain here, is sort of carring the new sales on its back. One premium screening on Cinepolis is half sold, late night screens are empty so far.

This friday pre-sales for Fast X starts.

• Like 4