Purple Minion

Mexico Box Office | Kongzilla repeats on top, Civil War and Abigail underperform

8 hours ago, Purple Minion said:

From BoxOffice.com:

Shazam! opened to an excellent 30.1M lc ($1.6M) on 2,829 screens with a nearly 50% share of the Top 5 films.  These opening day results are ahead of Guardians of the Galaxy by +22%, Ant-Man by +21% and Captain America: First Avengerby +13%.

That's decent after all. Still could reach $6M OW. Hope it legs well. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Purple Minion said:

I think it's a given Endgame will zoom at the top of the all time lc list. But will it be able to sell more tickets than Coco (23.3M+)?

I say it has a shot. Is going to be way bigger than IW and Coco in $ due to all those ticket prices but this time I do believe it can break the admissions record. 

Btw... For the first time ever I saw a $10+ USD ticket here; obviously for Endgame at a VIP location. The most expensive ticket price I saw before was $8 which is the cost for a 4DX show. Also saw a 7:00 AM show sold-out. Endgame is a once in a lifetime event.

• Astonished 3

30 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

I say it has a shot. Is going to be way bigger than IW and Coco in $ due to all those ticket prices but this time I do believe it can break the admissions record. 

Btw... For the first time ever I saw a $10+ USD ticket here; obviously for Endgame at a VIP location. The most expensive ticket price I saw before was $8 which is the cost for a 4DX show. Also saw a 7:00 AM show sold-out. Endgame is a once in a lifetime event.

That's crazy. If it gets the admissions record (lets say an even 24 million), we'd be looking at, at least $1.5b lc.....

:ohmyzod:

2 hours ago, Purple Minion said:

Is it the same account as @boxofficemx? I used to follow but they stopped tweeting in 2017. Informative enough, most of their BO tweets came from Canacine's Top 10 list.

I do not think so.

Acc Twitter they joined in 2012

https://twitter.com/BoxOfficeMexico

1 hour ago, Wotad said:

COuld shazam make 20m here

It's going to be very hard with a strong local movie (No manches Frida 2) and Hellboy opening next weekend.

Deadline reports that Shazam! opened +33% higher than GOTG and +40% than AntMan.

Pet Sematary opened to a decent $2M.

Edited by Purple Minion

10 hours ago, Purple Minion said:

Exceeding expectations (at least mine), Shazam! opened to $6.2M (about 120M lc). 2nd biggest international opening behind China.

Hope it passes $300M 🙏

Dumbo, Shazam! and all those upcoming titles are really making an historical april. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, redgarlic said:

I doubt it

I think what makes the difference is that Coco was a cultural phenomenon that drew even small communities. While Marvel movies do fine at 1st, 2nd and 3rd tier cities it doesn't has that cultural element that Coco had and appealed to people that rarely goes to movies or people that never had gone to a movie theatre before.

35 minutes ago, Carlangonz said:

I think what makes the difference is that Coco was a cultural phenomenon that drew even small communities. While Marvel movies do fine at 1st, 2nd and 3rd tier cities it doesn't has that cultural element that Coco had and appealed to people that rarely goes to movies or people that never had gone to a movie theatre before.

I agree with this, but also with Coco it was a movie where people watched it once and then came back to the theater with their grandmas so they could enjoy it as well. Even though I saw quite a share of grandmas today at the Shazam! IMAX I doubt they will come out in droves for endgame as they did for Coco.

(I mean grandmas as in all of the family no exceptions)

Edited by redgarlic
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, redgarlic said:

I agree with this, but also with Coco it was a movie where people watched it once and then came back to the theater with their grandmas so they could enjoy it as well.

Definitely yes. Coco was a movie that people wanted to watch with everyone: couple, friends, family. A perfect 4-quadrant movie.

Edited by Carlangonz

APRIL 5-7 WEEKEND. SHAZAM! LIGHTS THE FRAME; OPENS OVER ANT-MAN, DOCTOR STRANGE AND FIRST GUARDIANS. DUMBO NEARS $300M LC AND CAPTAIN MARVEL IS*THIS CLOSE* TO PASS BATMAN V SUPERMAN.

Shazam!

- Opens 27.71% above Doctor Strange, 4.72% over Ant-Man and the Wasp (compared to its 3-Day) and 32.4% over Ant-Man.

- Holidays start next weekend and that is helping but the problem is that it debuted just over 3,000 screens so it may struggle with that.

Dumbo

- On its way to cross $350M and beat Alice in Wonderland as 4th highest Disney live-action adaptation.

# MOVIE WEEKEND % CHANGE TOTAL (MXN) TOTAL (USD) ADM. TOTAL ADM.
1 Shazam! $111.6   $111.6 $5.84 1.9 1.9
2 Dumbo $76.8 -48% $283.5 $14.70 1.4 5.2
3 Pet Sematary $38.2   $38.2 $2 682.2K 682.2K
4 Captain Marvel $10.3 -57,78% $628.9 $32.40 198.5K 11.2
5 Five Feet Apart $4.8 -58,62% $46.5 $2.40 78.8K 854.7K
6 The Quake $3.6 -74,10% $61.5 $3.18 71.8K 1.2
7 Mary, Queen of Scots $2 -51,21% $8.1 $419K 21.3K 89.3K
8 On the Basis of Sex $1.8   $1.8 $94K 20.8K 20.8K
9 The Extraordinary Journey of the Fakir $1.6   $1.6 $83K 25.3K 25.3K
10 Las Niñas Bien $1.5 -48,27% $14 $722K 21.2K 191.8K

This Thursday opens: No Manches Frida 2: Paraíso Destruido, Hellboy, Wonder Park, The Kid Who Would Be King and The Other Woman.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

I think the distributor for Hellboy is dropping the ball on # of copies and screens. They already dropped it in marketing. 

Next weekend may not be as interesting as Easter weekdays, it's going to be like Christmas again. Frida, Dumbo and Billy Batson are going to benefit a lot from it.

• Like 1

El año pasado, Avengers: Infinity War, la película anterior de Marvel, logró ventas de 650 mil boletos en tres semanas de preventa para Cinemex 

"Last year, Infinity War, the previous Marvel production, reached sales of 650,000 tickets in 3 weeks of advance sale for Cinemex"

As it was reported a week ago, Endgame sold 450,000 within 12 hours and 600,000 after two days. I guess at this point it already outsold Infinity War. 

https://www.milenio.com/espectaculos/cine/avengers-en-mexico-una-locura-cinemex

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 6
  • Disbelief 1