YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Biggest animated movie of all time! We aren’t Pixover but Pixulling Back!

Disney has a ton of other divisions where they could risk on more queer/LGBT representation. Disney has been and continues to be under a lot of scrutiny because of this unfairly or not 

I don't know if kids movies are the way to go specially because a lot of parents may be sensitive to show it to a kid, even if they're not homophobic. Some even just prefer to not see them even if they don't mind them and are not 24/7 posting videos on YT with red thumbnails. Just because.

I think it's much easier for us to be talking here, on our keyboards but we just don't know how it is and how worthy it is, specially for these mass appeal, high budget movies. Specially for the big DISNEY brands. Having your blockbusters under fire won't end well. 

I think you can build a solid audience on Hulu shows, dramas for Searchlight and 20th Century and take some conclusions from there. Maybe take a risk on a low budget Pixar movie? Probably outsource it. It will be always important to know that the movie will be getting HEATED hate from the start unless they hide it somehow.

Moderation

I am seeing homophobic remarks about how LGBT erasure, especially in kids movies, is good because “politics” and “only business sense”. This is only excusing homophobic and bigoted behavior and is beyond disrespectful. Please do not post such rhetoric or else you will see a thread ban.

If you have an issue or want to argue over me on this, feel free to talk with me privately.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 3

I think regardless of the property the movie is far less likely to stoke any media outrage if you're just blatant and unapologetic about the representation in your advertising. Owl House and Pixar's own Out didn't stoke any right-wing rage.

The Inside Out 2 circumstances were expected for Disney given the circumstances, but theoretically coming off a $1.7 billion hit you're in the best position you can possibly be to take a risk upsetting half your customer base. Personally I'm still withholding judgment on their future originals and I think others ought too as well since on paper they do seem to have more potential for non-cishet representation. Worst case scenario their profit is just $800 million instead of $1 billion.

Edited by AniNate

20 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I think regardless of the property the movie is far less likely to stoke any media outrage if you're just blatant and unapologetic about the representation in your advertising. Owl House and Pixar's own Out didn't stoke any right-wing rage.

To be fair, I don't think so many people heard about Out (I just need to look for it) to be outrage.

I don't think blatant and unapologetic adverising about representation really prevents outrage. I've seen many shows/movies advertising that way, but these receive outrage.

That said, shows/movies with a mainly female audience seems to receive less outrage for representation. As you said, there seems to be a lack of outrage for The Owl House (although show was still technically "cancelled").

16 minutes ago, Kon said:

To be fair, I don't think so many people heard about Out (I just need to look for it) to be outrage.

Its release was overshadowed by a pretty big real world event so that probably did stifle any potential media narrative, but still, it hasn't even resurfaced as a manufactured controversy. 

I'm of the position of never say never anyway. If it becomes financially feasible for Disney to promote lgbt rep again, I'm sure they will have no qualms about it. Maybe once this political cycle ends.

Edited by AniNate

42 minutes ago, AniNate said:

The Inside Out 2 circumstances were expected for Disney given the circumstances, but theoretically coming off a $1.7 billion hit you're in the best position you can possibly be to take a risk upsetting half your customer base. Personally I'm still withholding judgment on their future originals and I think others ought too as well since on paper they do seem to have more potential for non-cishet representation. Worst case scenario their profit is just $800 million instead of $1 billion.

That's exactly what companies don't want (left money on the table). Companies take risks because they hope to make more profits.

Don't misunderstand me, there are people inside the companies who really care about representation, but the company as a whole cares about the profits.

10 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Its release was overshadowed by a pretty big real world event so that probably did stifle any potential media narrative, but still, it hasn't even resurfaced as a manufactured controversy. 

I'm of the position of never say never anyway. If it becomes financially feasible for Disney to promote lgbt rep again, I'm sure they will have no qualms about it. Maybe once this political cycle ends.

I agree. Disney will promote LGBT representation again when they feel it's less financially risky. There is an underserved audience in the LGBT community, so Disney will try to capitalize on this again.

Edited by Kon

I think people forgot Bohemian Rhapsody, a movie featuring gay kisses, made 900m+ in 2018. Yes, 6 years since then the world actually got regressed and less friendly to LGBT community thanks to backlash against woke. So asking a billionaire to scarify their profit for LGBT, probably is too much for Disney-Pixar, on top of the already weakened US soft power.  Yes money talks, the ultimate form of capitalist. But if Disney is serious about representation, they should start somewhere smaller, like Pixar-Searchlight banner. Not everything has to be billion dollar hit. A cult hit like Caroline is more than enough for confidence building.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

What do you mean ? Do you think it will affect Moana 2 box office with all what happened ?

Riley having a crush on the hockey girl would not have made a dent in the box office for this film. And any parents who would be "concerned" to show their kids a film that had two people of the same gender kissing are not parents who regularly consume media and should not be worried about when making/marketing a film.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I think people forgot Bohemian Rhapsody, a movie featuring gay kisses, made 900m+ in 2018. Yes, 6 years since then the world actually got regressed and less friendly to LGBT community thanks to backlash against woke. So asking a billionaire to scarify their profit for LGBT, probably is too much for Disney-Pixar, on top of the already weakened US soft power.  Yes money talks, the ultimate form of capitalist. But if Disney is serious about representation, they should start somewhere smaller, like Pixar-Searchlight banner. Not everything has to be billion dollar hit. A cult hit like Caroline is more than enough for confidence building.

didnt the fil get a lot of controversy for not focusing on his sexuality enough? 

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

To be fair, it is common knowledge that Freddy Mercury was a gay man, so it is no surprise that the movie featured a scene like that. In fact it would have been more controversial if BR omitted that aspect of his life. Same with Rocketman, no one complained about that either because everybody on planet earth knows Elton John is gay as f...

Edited by Boxx93
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

didnt the fil get a lot of controversy for not focusing on his sexuality enough? 

Still a whole a lot more than whatever they did with Lightyear, and of course more developed. Yes, Freddie Mercury star power may ease some barrier but BR's direction made whole gay or bisexual experience especially in term of loneliness is a lot more relatable to the straight crowd, which still made up majority of the population in the world today. BR's controversy is mostly related to its director's involvement in the sexual crime and surprisingly little from "anti-woke" crowd especially in the post-Trump era.

2 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

To be fair, it is common knowledge that Freddy Mercury was a gay man, so it is no surprise that the movie featured a scene like that. In fact it would have been more controversial if BR omitted that aspect of his life. Same with Rocketman, no one complained about that either because everybody on planet earth knows Elton John is gay as f...

Yeah, those films were never aimed at families or kids.

It's more that some conservative parents feel misled and betrayed if gay content is in a Pixar and WADS, they think these films should have shouldn't that. In their minds kids are only allowed to see straight relationship. 

Look at Strange World and how no one showed up for the film. There always a risk when adding diversity, sadly.

15 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Yeah, those films were never aimed at families or kids.

It's more that some conservative parents feel misled and betrayed if gay content is in a Pixar and WADS, they think these films should have shouldn't that. In their minds kids are only allowed to see straight relationship. 

Look at Strange World and how no one showed up for the film. There always a risk when adding diversity, sadly.

Also people with kids trend more conservative then avg so its a different audience then young people.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/primal-world-beliefs-unpacked/202210/having-kids-may-increase-social-conservatism

(Disclaimer: I am not saying this is a good thing) 

Edited by Torontofan

It's easy to rag on Disney, but where are all these other major studios inserting LGBTQ+ characters into their films? Illumination sure isn't. Dreamworks sure isn't. Laika, which had a gay character in Paranorman, did little to nothing more for the LGBTQ+ community in their films after that. And then there's Across the Spider-Verse. It had a 'Trans lives matter" flag, but everyone in the film was straight, or if they weren't, it wasn't referenced or talked about.

Every studio making films for kids/families is staying out of the LGBTQ+ realm, and we can't talk about why that might be?!?

I want to see more LGBTQ+ characters in film, and I think family/kids films should be fair game, but obviously all the major studios are too chickenshit to do anything, not just Disney. Unless DreamWorks' Dog Man has more to its plot than I'm aware.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul
Misread the moderation post, so took out the mini-graph related to it
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

The main issue is overworking the workers to get a movie out on time. Also not planning out the story from the very start and having to make changes that end up costing more. This wasn't just a problem with Spiderverse.

It sounds like the problem with this film wasn't entirely the same from what Across the Spider-Verse went through. At least the impression that I got was that the plan was mostly there - it's just that they had to make some last minute changes at least partly due to the whole LGBTQ+ issues.

You know what I just realized? This film's production history sounds eerily similar to the production history of The Great Mouse Detective. Think about it. Both films were made in anxiety + panic mode from everyone involved, both were made with some massive morale issues, and both still worked out in the end. The only difference is that Disney Animation was actually in legitimate danger of getting shuttered entirely because of the dismal failure of The Black Cauldron.

2 hours ago, Block-Busted said:

You know what I just realized? This film's production history sounds eerily similar to the production history of The Great Mouse Detective. Think about it. Both films were made in anxiety + panic mode from everyone involved, both were made with some massive morale issues, and both still worked out in the end. The only difference is that Disney Animation was actually in legitimate danger of getting shuttered entirely because of the dismal failure of The Black Cauldron.

You did'nt have the controversy with Great Mouse Detective, though.

Odd thing is I think Lloyd Alexanders Prydian novels, could make a really good film series. Still sad Disney screwed it up so badly.

The documentary "Awakining Sleeping Beauty" on the Disney Animatation renainssence, shows a clip fomr a promotional film for Cauldron showing the producer holding all five novels and saying "OUt biggest problem was fitting all these into one movie"

Shows how clueless managment at Disney animatation was at that moment.

Edited by dudalb