YM!

Inside Out 2 | June 14, 2024 | Pixar does it again!

Is anyone saying they aren't? Their next movie is (as far as we know) being directed by a gay Latin man, and evidently with assistance from an Asian woman.

The crock of it all is that people are reading into these articles from the absolute most cynical perspective possible, pretty typical of internet discourse about Pixar for the last decade, even when they were promoting these original stories that are now being held up as masterful personal works.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Is anyone saying they aren't? Their next movie is (as far as we know) being directed by a gay Latin man, and evidently with assistance from an Asian woman.

The crock of it all is that people are reading into these articles from the absolute most cynical perspective possible, pretty typical of internet discourse about Pixar for the last decade, even when they were promoting these original stories that are now being held up as masterful personal works.

I wasn't negative towards TR ever. I think you lump anyone who says anything critical about Pixar into a big mass or something.

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Well that’s already in development, we even have a trailer for it. They can’t just toss it away. It’s not the next movie people are talking about, it’s the “next” next movies. The ones that haven’t been greenlit or aren’t well into the development process yet.

Edited by Speedorito

5 minutes ago, AniNate said:

What do you want us to say? We’re not the ones coming at public to talk about how Pixar last few movies (Soul with a black lead, Luca with it’s very clear LGBT undertones, Red with Asian lead etc) was lacking universality. It’s very obvious what was said. 

Animated movies can spend 5 years in the making, we won’t see much difference in the next project. I don’t think anyone is implying they will send minorities crew to home, they was just very clear about how the goal is to take the “personal inputs” from now on, which is what a gay Latin man and an Asian woman brings to their art when there’s no restrictions.

I’m sure Pete Docter isn’t exactly happy with how things are going in order to restore Pixar brand commercially, he’s probably just saying what he have to say. That said the articles are clear and it isn’t cynical to call them out. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I wasn't negative towards TR ever. I think you lump anyone who says anything critical about Pixar into a big mass or something.

There does tend to be a hive mind mentality to it, yes, even if individuals might be willing to give more credit to certain movies than others. They never really have received the kind of credit I think they deserve for holding to that promise of more originals. Docter has helped raise marginalized voices a lot more than Lasseter ever did, and until there actually is an apparent pattern of them being snuffed out, I think the dramatics about it are not warranted. For all we know that fear goes completely by the wayside if Elio is a big hit next year.

7 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

What do you want us to say? We’re not the ones coming at public to talk about how Pixar last few movies (Soul with a black lead, Luca with it’s very clear LGBT undertones, Red with Asian lead etc) was lacking universality. It’s very obvious what was said. 

Docter did not say that, that was what the article writers inferred 

23 hours ago, Porthos said:

Don't want to say "I kinda warned you" when I said maybe we should wait a tic or three before presuming 95%+ on RT, but... Well, yeah.

FWIW, I think my biggest — source of concern is so the wrong phrase here so instead I'll simply say thing I noted — thing I noted to myself at the time was the lack of reactions from Big Name/Top Critics.  Found it somewhat eyebrow raising that they weren't commenting at all in the last 30 hours and it left me open somewhat to what we're seeing now.

Also FWIW, I expect the RT to rise a bit into the low 90s as less snobbish/less demanding critics continue to weigh in.

Either way, still a very good reaction from critics.  Just not Top Tier Pixar reaction.

Most studios would kill for the kind of reception that this movie is getting.

And where do people get this idea that sequels being as good as or better then the original should  be the norm?

It has never been that way. Few sequels get acclaim as good as the originals.

( I am talking about critical reception. Box Office is a different story).

And I see the  usual hostiltiy to critics is showing up.

For what it's worth, I am more interetted in what the critics say then the fanboys. For fanboys to accuse Critics of being biased is the funniest thing ever.

33 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It's a crock. Toy Story takes place in white suburbia, hardly universal to everyone. Why try to get the genie back in the bottle, back when only white guys could make these movies? Is a movie like Turning Red, which featured mostly girls and women, less universal for that fact? Is Elemental less universal for centering an immigrant experience in the story?

It's just marketing! They're going to keep making the same kind of films, you'll see.

It's like when Kevin Feige says they're changing things up, but literally nothing changes. Or when Bob Iger says they're changing things up, but literally nothing changes. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AniNate said:

There does tend to be a hive mind mentality to it, yes, even if individuals might be willing to give more credit to certain movies than others. They never really have received the kind of credit I think they deserve for holding to that promise of more originals. Docter has helped raise marginalized voices a lot more than Lasseter ever did, and until there actually is an apparent pattern of them being snuffed out, I think the dramatics about it are not warranted. For all we know that fear goes completely by the wayside if Elio is a big hit next year.

And when it comes to having a Hive Mind, Critics are amateurs compared to some section of the Geek/Fanboy community.

4 hours ago, AniNate said:

There hadn't been a whole lot of reliable animated superhero franchises to this point. I do think Bird really didn't feel like twice the time investment when making I2. Lots of other things he's still trying to make.

"The Incredibles" and the Spideyverse movies are the only two really sucessful CBN style animated franchies that have made it big in theatrical movies.

Now Television is, of course, a totally different story. Animated CBM franchises seem to be pretty much a creature of Television.

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

The BS is the implied belief in "universality" which can lead to marginalizing certain people. The quote from the Time article is a callback to the Bloomberg piece, which I think was fairly criticized.

I don't think anyone is going to be marginalized lol. I think they're just trying to find stories that everyone wants to see in theatres. That's all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Animated movies can spend 5 years in the making, we won’t see much difference in the next project. I don’t think anyone is implying they will send minorities crew to home, they was just very clear about how the goal is to take the “personal inputs” from now on, which is what a gay Latin man and an Asian woman brings to their art when there’s no restrictions.

I’m sure Pete Docter isn’t exactly happy with how things are going in order to restore Pixar brand commercially, he’s probably just saying what he have to say. That said the articles are clear and it isn’t cynical to call them out. 

I don't think it's a matter of the black lead or LGBT undertones. It's the stories. We're all making this more complicated than it is. Pixar is just trying to tell better stories. Docter communicated the word "universality" but I think he's just looking for another way to say stories the audience will show up for.

I believe Soul would have done amazing in theatres so it's not like the black lead in that film is relevant to this discussion anyway. The story was amazing!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

I don't think anyone is going to be marginalized lol. I think they're just trying to find stories that everyone wants to see in theatres. That's all.

I think studios, writers and directors should be free to tell the kind of story they want to tell.

And, frankly, sometimes the demand for universality can get ridiculous.

When the movie "The Northman" came out a couple of years a few people here denounced it for not having "People of Color" in it. That POC's were very,very rare in Ninth Century Norway and Iceland seems to have gone right by them.

Speaking of animated movie, though, after this, the Animated movie I am really looking forward to is the new Wallace and Gromet film. I am a huge Wallace and Gromet fan.

50 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

I don't think it's a matter of the black lead or LGBT undertones. It's the stories. We're all making this more complicated than it is. Pixar is just trying to tell better stories. Docter communicated the word "universality" but I think he's just looking for another way to say stories the audience will show up for.

I believe Soul would have done amazing in theatres so it's not like the black lead in that film is relevant to this discussion anyway. The story was amazing!

Well all 3 movies was critically acclaimed and had absolutely astonishing streaming stats. Soul and Red had considerably better reviews than IO2 even. 

There’s really a creative problem here? Elemental did grossed half a billion despite coming from a pandemic and plenty of streaming releases, audiences did showed up. 

I agreed with you that maybe people are making this discussion more complicated than it is, still i think how they’re communicating this “return to good old Pixar” is very questionable and worthy of discussion.

To stay on topic, there’s really nothing wrong with making sequels. For what we know, IO2 is a very beloved movie so far and will be wildly succesful, which is great for Pixar and for theaters, i’m genuinely happy for it. The only worry is the apparent wrong lessons they’re taking from the pandemic releases in order to correct them.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Well all 3 movies was critically acclaimed and had absolutely astonishing streaming stats. Soul and Red had considerably better reviews than IO2 even. 

There’s really a creative problem here? Elemental did grossed half a billion, audiences did showed up. 

I agreed with you that maybe people are making this discussion more complicated than it is, still i think how they’re communicating this “return to good old Pixar” is very questionable and worthy of discussion.

I'm not saying there's a problem with those films at all. I guess I'm just trying to decipher where Docter is coming from here.

To be honest whoever said it was a marketing statement is probably right on the money. As others have said, perhaps not much is actually going to change at Pixar at all and they're just trying to put out a unifying message, even if it was clumsily communicated.

Whatever the case, what we DO know is that Disney is struggling. Whatever they're doing, rightly or wrongly, is an attempt to repair their brand and the relationship with the general audience. We can debate all day whether we feel it's needed or not, but Disney obviously feels it is.

Edited by Insomnia
  • Like 1