YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

If that $200M Wish production budget is true, Disney's theatrical division is gonna have a loooonnng discussion on Dec 1 after this month...

Marvel Studios is already having that looonnnggg discusion.

nobody at Disney is looking forward to the next stockholder's meeting, you can bet on that. Touch questions will  be asked.

Two of the biggest box office bombs of all time in the form of Strange World and this could admittedly have disastrous repercussions for how WDAS has always functioned. Not looking forward to it if they think jamming Revival era sequels down our throats is the only way now. They will just push themselves further into a hole, most aren’t going to want forced sequels to movies that don’t seem like they should have sequels. Even RBI didn’t do particularly well at the height of Disney’s power last decade. 

20 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

You kid, but I think it’s too big of a global phenomenon to miss the nom in that cat. 

Also, realized I said they never award stop motion even though they love to nominate it without even remembering Pinocchio was stop motion lmao

Mario will get a nomination, but not the actual award.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I will say even if I do end up liking this, WDA definitely needs some new kind of outside influence for their long term future. Jennifer Lee made perfect sense for CCO at the time, but she's shown herself to be something of a one trick pony and too business minded for my taste. Wish feels like the closest they'll be able to get to doing something actually experimental under her watch, especially now with three more sequels publicly confirmed.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

This thread is starting to remind me of Elemental's. I just hope the ending of it is as happy.

Thing is Wish is  getting a much rougher critical reception then Elementals.

And if Wish is no better then most of ther eviews say, it does not deserve to be a huge hit.

So there’s a few more rotten WDAS films than I realized. I think all of them are

57% Make Mine Music 

57% The Black Cauldron 

54% Oliver and Company (ugh underrated)

54% Pocahontas 

52% Home on the Range

49% Atlantis 

37% Brother Bear (cmon, this one is perfectly fine for what it is) 

37% Chicken Little

Of those, they were all some of the studio’s biggest commercial failures ever except for Pocahontas (which was a massive commercial disappointment it should still be noted). 

WDA also sorely missing the presence of Clements/Musker now I imagine. I don't think anyone currently there is able to so consistently tap into the "Disney charm" like they were. Byron Howard might be the closest, but I assume he's working on the Zootopia sequel now.

• Like 3

Oops, missed Robin Hood. Funny because I have never liked that one at all (near the very bottom of my WDAS ranking) but know it’s a favorite among many today, so I didn’t bother to check. 

Pete’s is not a part of the WDAS canon for what it’s worth. 

Edited by MovieMan89

In a bit of Captain Obvious news...

Spoiler

tldr: They didn't actually release every song during WishWednesdays, because two other ones came up on shuffle.

I don't know why I thought they'd just share all of them, but there's a reprise of This Wish and one called At All Costs.

• Like 1

Breakdown as well of the WDAS eras:

Golden Age (high): 1937-1942 (6 years); Snow White - Bambi 

Wartime (low): 1942-1949 (8 years); Saludos Amigos - Ichabod and Mr. Toad

Silver Age (high): 1950 - 1967 (18 years); Cinderella - The Jungle Book

Dark Age (low): 1970 - 1988 (19 years); Aristocats - Oliver and Company 

Renaissance (high): 1989 - 1999 (11 years); The Little Mermaid - Tarzan

Post-Renaissance (low): 2000 - 2009 (10 years); Dinosaur - The Princess and the Frog *

The Revival (high): 2010 - 2021 (12 years); Tangled - Encanto

??? (low?): 2022 - ???; Strange World - ???

*Post-Renaissance is sometimes called “Experimental” era in modern times since they were going back and forth with animation styles and veering from their musical format of the Renaissance.

Additionally, PatF is a controversial one for what era it belongs to, but typically a new hit era after a low one has to start with a commercial breakthrough, and PatF was a commercial failure despite the acclaim. 

They're not gonna outsource anything. Let's not overreact. Elemental had some of the worst critical reception ever for a Pixar movie but still made $500m. Original animation still can do well, and we should wait for the WOM before saying anything premature about it's BO performance.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

They're not gonna outsource anything. Let's not overreact. Elemental had some of the worst critical reception ever for a Pixar movie but still made $500m. Original animation still can do well, and we should wait for the WOM before saying anything premature about it's BO performance.

Which is so strange to me because I really enjoyed it. I was expecting it to be bad based on everything I heard, and after it was over I was bummed I didn't see it in theaters.

Whereas I watched a critically acclaimed film like Across the Spiderverse and was not only thoroughly annoyed by the "to be continued," but I found the story very... meh (the animation was stunning, though)

A few years ago, I wasn't part of the group of folks saying "you can't trust critics," but man... I haven't felt such a disconnect with critics since the pandemic ended.

• Knock It Off 2

I didn’t understand the Turning Red reception at all if I’m being honest (that was peak “it’s fine” through and through for me), but I do realize I’m also not the target audience.

I do think Raya was way too acclaimed in hindsight, but at the time I was like yeah, that’s another win for WDAS. Just didn’t hold up at all though really.