YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

19 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I mean, I watched to find out how much of a dumpster fire it actually was. I feel like that's what a large portion of those who watched did as well.

And a lot of views on Streaming do not translatie into more revenue.

I doubt a lot of people subscribed to Disney Pluys just to see "Wish".

I think a lot of people watched it just out of curioisty and the grounds of 'I am paying the 15 bucks a month anyway, might AS WELL get my money's worth".

• Like 1

Erm... wait a minute...

https://press.disneyplus.com/news/elemental-most-viewed-movie-premiere-on-disney-plus-in-2023#:~:text=Elemental is the most watched,first five days of streaming.

Elemental is the most watched movie premiere of the year on Disney+ and among its Top 10 movie premieres of all time, earning 26.4 million views in its first five days of streaming.

What kind of BS is Disney trying to pull with Wish?

32 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

ok

I mean, the movie was sorta terrible. The film literally opens with a CGI Wish book, when 1) this film was not based on a classic fairy tale so the opening makes no sense and 2) old Disney films that began with a shot of a book actually shot them in live-action. The film lends with Mickey Mouse fireworks and a recreation of the classic Disney logo with the movie's castle.

I'll fight anyone who tries to claim the film was bad because of anything related to wokeness, but I won't fight anyone who claims the film was bad because the story and music were mediocre.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I mean, the movie was sorta terrible. The film literally opens with a CGI Wish book, when 1) this film was not based on a classic fairy tale so the opening makes no sense and 2) old Disney films that began with a shot of a book actually shot them in live-action. The film lends with Mickey Mouse fireworks and a recreation of the classic Disney logo with the movie's castle.

I'll fight anyone who tries to claim the film was bad because of anything related to wokeness, but I won't fight anyone who claims the film was bad because the story and music were mediocre.

I have not watche it yer, but I undersant the constant homages to the Disney classics get tired after a while are are not at all clever.

14 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/wish-ratings-views-disney-plus-1235964539/

None, Deadline just got it wrong. Disney is only claiming it’s their third highest opening for a Disney Animation Studios film which mostly means it was just bigger than Strange World. 

16 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

It’s a typo dude. There’s no BS here. Variety has the more accurate details. Chill.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/wish-ratings-views-disney-plus-1235964539/amp/

That makes the film the No. 3 most-viewed streaming premiere for a Walt Disney Animation Studios film, trailing “Encanto,” which debuted in theaters in November 2021 before streaming on Disney+ that December, and “Frozen 2,” which released theatrically November 2019 an arrived on streaming the following March. Exact viewership data for those titles is unavailable.

This ranking does not include animated films from other Disney studios, however. For example, Pixar’s “Elemental” debuted with 26.4 million views in five days, which was touted as Disney+’s biggest movie premiere of 2023 — live action or animated — and made the service’s top 10 of all time.

26 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

It’s a typo dude. There’s no BS here. Variety has the more accurate details. Chill.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/wish-ratings-views-disney-plus-1235964539/amp/

Why the hostility? I'm a self-admitted Disney adult, and I'll even go to bad for failures like Strange World.

The truth is, Disney's treated this film far better than it has been received. By everyone. Not just the anti-woke or anti-Disney crowds. They kept in in theaters longer than it should have been. They kept it off streaming longer than it should have been. And now they're trying to act like the film premiered better than it actually did. Deadline may have made a small typo, but Variety actually put in the work to not simply toe the Disney line and report what they were told to report.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

24 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Why the hostility? I'm a self-admitted Disney adult, and I'll even go to bad for failures like Strange World.

The truth is, Disney's treated this film far better than it has been received. By everyone. Not just the anti-woke or anti-Disney crowds. They kept in in theaters longer than it should have been. They kept it off streaming longer than it should have been. And now they're trying to act like the film premiered better than it actually did. Deadline may have made a small typo, but Variety actually put in the work to not simply toe the Disney line and report what they were told to report.

Variety didn’t really put in much extra work. Both stories are quoting off the same press release. 

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I mean, I watched to find out how much of a dumpster fire it actually was. I feel like that's what a large portion of those who watched did as well.

Not enough people care about this to do that I think. It was mostly kids and families I bet.

I watched it with my family this weekend, my youngest loved it, we adults thought it was just fine. Then we visited my parents and they were watching it as well with my nephew, they all thought it was just fine as well.

52 minutes ago, cannastop said:

This has half the viewership of Elemental.

Elemental has a better plot and is far more rewatchable. Plus a better received film has more anticipation and interest when it debuts.

Anyway, my problem with Wish was that the songs leaned way too much into pop (which is what you get when you hire a pop star who wrote songs for Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez). It needed to be more modern Broadway, especially for this kind of film. I liked This Wish, but This Is The Thanks I Get and I’m a Star were just plain bad.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Variety didn’t really put in much extra work. Both stories are quoting off the same press release. 

Variety brought up Elemental, which is more than what Deadline did.

I'm just frustrated by how forgettable the film was. Quite frankly, it highlights the current flaws with Disney Animation Studios. It's a heavy-handed love letter to Disney that misunderstands everything magical about Disney. No catchy Broadway-style musical numbers (can anyone sing me a catchy chorus from any of the tracks?), an overabundance of empty Disney references (Bambi, Peter Pan, etc.), an original story that makes little sense (Star is selectively magic, villain defeat is unearned, etc.), and worst of all, there's no emotional center. It's hard to have an emotional center when no one's characters are fleshed out beyond a couple sentences.

I'm not as worried about Moana 2 as other people in these forums, but that film can't afford to be as mediocre as Wish.

On 3/15/2024 at 9:42 PM, JustLurking said:

Honestly...the domestic underperformance is kind of shocking? It's not like the OS numbers are good but they are 3x the DOM numbers! For a film that didn't even do well in China that's just absurd. I don't get why this flopped so much harder domestically.

I guess I don't have to wonder anymore.  If anything I should probably ask myself why it didn't tank as hard overseas. This film is terrible and the worst thing WDAS has ever put out.

What a fucking waste of time.

It doesn't look good. The songs are not catchy whatsoever. Narratively it is completely broken often bordering on the nonsensical. Almost no joke lands. Almost every character is completely forgettable if not downright annoying.

The references to the frankly much better films this is littered with only made it worse.

Edited by JustLurking