YM!

Wish | Walt Disney Animation Studios | November 22, 2023 | Chris Pine plays a baddie DILF, new trailer has dropped, reactions are reactions

I'll be interested in seeing the Cinemascore for this. I truly believe there's gonna be a difference between the "overly online" reception and the GA reception based on my crowd reaction. Greatest Showman might be a possible comparison here. Ofc I may end up wrong about that too but I'm gonna root for this until the bitter end.

Between Trolls, Wonka, and Migration, legs are probably gonna be a taller order though than they ended up being for Elemental. Hopefully it can find its way to 400m WW somehow at least.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I don't want to get off on the "critics are useless" tangent here because I know it would be a completely hypocritical stance to take, but this doesn't seem like a case where it's being hated for the reasons an average time killing family might hate a movie.

Problem is I'm guessing at least one of Wonka/Migration will be received better and get more vocal support online, so that will likely eat into its holiday staying power. Needs at least a $50mil 5 day to avoid a disaster narrative.

Edited by AniNate

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Tons of critics are getting offended by that Tweet. It's funny and a little bit sad. It really feels like critics are way more defensive than they were a few years ago.

Critics review bombing Mario couldn't stop it from making a billion.

But bad reviews will hurt Wish, many are on the fence about it. Also Migration is not too far away.

• Like 2

Not gonna go over again why these kind of reviews are a completely different story when we’re talking WDAS, suffice to say that reception is getting plain ugly. Already the lowest avg rating from top critics ever for WDAS (it’s about to dip into the 4s eesh) and inching close to that for the overall avg as well

Edited by MovieMan89

6 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Tons of critics are getting offended by that Tweet. It's funny and a little bit sad. It really feels like critics are way more defensive than they were a few years ago.

That's because people today are more defensive than ever over corporate franchise blockbusters that only exist to make money. That's why people create such idiotic tweets like these where they create narratives that these evil movie critics, who are largely freelancers struggling to get by in the ever-evolving print world, are out to get these poor, innocent, defenseless toy commercials made by ultra rich megacorps that only exist to make rich, capitalist executives even reacher. This anti-intellectual crap is frankly ridiculous and I can't wait for the day that people will wake up from this and realize how silly they sound defending these "too big to fail" franchises and studios.

This is also a reminder by the way, because I've seen you do this a lot lately, that this schtick has gotten old. I suggest you find some new material buddy boy.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 5

8 minutes ago, Eric Gray Baird said:

That's because people today are more defensive than ever over corporate franchise blockbusters that only exist to make money. That's why people create such idiotic tweets like these where they create narratives that these evil movie critics, who are largely freelancers struggling to get by in the ever-evolving print world, are out to get these poor, innocent, defenseless toy commercials made by ultra rich megacorps that only exist to make rich, capitalist executives even reacher. This anti-intellectual crap is frankly ridiculous and I can't wait for the day that people will wake up from this and realize how silly they sound defending these "too big to fail" franchises and studios.

This is also a reminder by the way, because I've seen you do this a lot lately, that this schtick has gotten old. I suggest you find some new material buddy boy.

bro whos idea was it to give you admin💀

• Like 4
  • Heart 1
  • Astonished 2

Will say the decision to delay Elio past Inside Out 2 is looking pretty wise now. This would've been extra fuel on the Disney cynicism fire that they didn't need trying to ramp the promo campaign up for that again. They definitely could use a nostalgic IP stopgap right now.

As a fair warning, it's going to be very hard for me to separate my personal opinion from acknowledging the general consensus talking about this. Likely will be prone to childish irritability the next few weeks. Put me on ignore if you must.

Edited by AniNate

In a time where animated movies are taking on different themes and showing GA that animated = / = childish all the time and can have mass appeal...a movie basically being a homage to your past wasn't the best choice. I get why, centennial, but...

Something in lines with "We pioneered this 100 years ago, now look at what we can start the next 100 off with" and something different and fresh.

The change in art style is a good first step, will their next feature have it too, I wonder.

35 minutes ago, Morieris said:

In a time where animated movies are taking on different themes and showing GA that animated = / = childish all the time and can have mass appeal...a movie basically being a homage to your past wasn't the best choice. I get why, centennial, but...

Something in lines with "We pioneered this 100 years ago, now look at what we can start the next 100 off with" and something different and fresh.

The change in art style is a good first step, will their next feature have it too, I wonder.

I don't really think that situation is the big issue for this movie. It just doesn't seem to be so much interest in Wish.

In itself, Wish doesn't even seems especially childish compared to other animated movies this year. Honestly, I don't think there aren't so many animated movies with so mature themes.

Also, although the perception shouldn't be animation =/= childish, there isn't nothing wrong with childish animation.

1 hour ago, Valencia said:

Horrible reviews.

Song being made fun of on Tik Tok by the target demo.

Unsuccessfully pulled off 2D/3D hybrid animation aesthetic.

Dont see this one recovering.

Has nothing positive going for it.

Kids these days are too cynical. Back then, they went into a WDAS movies ready to love new heroines like Tiana, Rapunzel, Anna, Elsa, and Moana.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

The problem was the screenplay, nothing more. It's like every character has no social skills, making most of the dialogue very rough to sit through, especially the chaotic scenes where everyone's talking at once. The villain's motivations are also never explained. Attack of the Clones is top-tier Tarantino next to Wish. After seeing it, I can't fault the critics for reviewing it poorly. I doubt refusing to be positive about a film this weak is their reflection on the animation studio. After a couple more watches I'll be more certain, but after one viewing it feels like it's the weakest narratively of all 62 WDAS films. The Sword in the Stone, Pocahontas, and Home on the Range seem like award-winning screenwriting masterpieces by comparison. The animation works really well on the big screen, and it's the best-looking Disney animated film since The Princess and the Frog (Tiana and Company will be beautiful 100 years from now while Tangled and Frozen will look more dated). I also really like the songs and watching it isn't a total pain because the next one is never that far away.

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

I do think that general audiences will be kinder to this than critics, but there’s something to be said about how, aside from Strange World, this is only the second Disney movie in fifteen years to not be certified fresh, let alone fresh. That said…I do think Trolls and this are ultimately gonna cannibalize each other this weekend and limit its potential, especially with the middling reviews not doing much to entice an older audience. It’ll still probably be enough to win the weekend, lol

• Like 1