Eric Duncan

Kinds of Kindness | Searchlight | June 21, 2024 | Lanthimos' newest movie

Film Score Monthly is now saying it's Jerskin Fendrix scoring this.

Guess we won't really know until they release the official billing block. Maybe Fendrix is scoring half of the segments and Newman is scoring the other half.

On 3/14/2024 at 1:14 PM, ThomasNicole said:

Probably confirmed for Cannes with this date 

They doesn’t seem to be expecting Oscars tho, which makes sense since it’s an anthology movie

TBF the last three Best Picture winners were all commercially released before September, so a June release date isn't a total vote of no confidence. Post-Favourite and post-Poor Things, it can probably make almost as much money in the summer as it would in the fall, so this allows them to put out possible awards players closer to the awards that needs that bump more. And if those contenders don't take off, they could always fall back on this movie if it's another home run from Lanthimos.

On 3/14/2024 at 1:23 PM, AniNate said:

Probably not their primary aim but have to imagine you can't count it out with the pedigree

This does make me curious what they're aiming for promoting in the fall. Opens up a lot more room for Nightbitch and In the Blink of an Eye to get festival attention.

They also bought the distribution rights to A Real Pain out of Sundance for $10M, which was very well-received and a potential awards play for Kieran Culkin. I'm guessing that's their safest bet ATM, although those two could definitely be players if they're well-received enough.

9 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I don't get the "can't qualify for Oscars" thing. Haven't spring/summer movies done relatively well at least in the 2020s as long as they were commercial?

Yeah it COULD be a bomb but so could anything.

I think of all the stuff Searchlight has on the table, this probably does stand the biggest chance of still getting awards attention even with a summer release, so putting it there is probably more of a strategy for letting their other less locked contenders get a time in the spotlight later in the year 

That said this definitely has more "cool summer" vibes than Poor Things or Favourite. Seen some YouTube comments comparing it to Pulp Fiction and yeah, I can see it here.

Isn't this an anthology movie? That would probably hinder a lot of awards chances right there. So putting it as a specialty summer offering/box office play like Asteroid City with maybe a Cannes premiere makes a lot of sense to me.

5 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Isn't this an anthology movie? That would probably hinder a lot of awards chances right there. So putting it as a specialty summer offering/box office play like Asteroid City with maybe a Cannes premiere makes a lot of sense to me.

I mean I do think the Yorgos/Emma Stone factor supercedes any academy allergies to anthologies at this point. Asteroid City ofc didn't get super enthusiastic reviews so wasn't going to be much of a player. But if it is in fact something in the cool, sexy vein of Pulp Fiction that the GA gets behind I see no reason why the Oscars would ignore it.

No no no, you're supposed to have Ben Affleck show up and say I'M THE GODDAMNED BATMAN while a 5 minute shot of Superman's head on a bloody pike is show WHILE the children's choir is singing Sweet Dreams. Why can't you bloody people get trailers right?!?