Smile (2022)  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

This definitely exceeded my initial expectations. While it might not be the most innovative horror movie ever made, it makes some surprisingly strong observations about the effects trauma and suicide can have on someone while adding just enough memorably unsettling moments (the birthday party, Jesus) and jump scares to appease fans of the genre, while a strong and haunted lead performance from Sosie "daughter of Kevin and Kyra Sedgewick" Bacon grounds the film. It has some flaws that keep it from greatness (a midsection that dumps a lot of exposition on the audience, an ending that's centered around a CGI monster), but overall, this is a highly effective feature debut from director Parker Finn that might very well mark the start of a notable career. B+

With clever scares and stellar insights, Smile is a diabolically enjoyable horror film that feels like it successfully combines the trappings of schlocky scares with the more allegorical bent of so-called “elevated horror.” The visual and aural styles employed by writer-director Parker Finn make for a tense, atmospheric experience that keeps the proceedings compelling throughout the near-two-hour running time. As others have noted, it often feels like a cross between the atmospheric style and dread of The Ring and It Follows; with how it traces the development of a curse on its unwitting protagonist and the ways in which the curse toys with her, I would also cite Drag Me to Hell as a film it channels. Though the vibes feel familiar, Finn is successful in stringing the audience along with a compelling story and slick gory tricks. Finn also succeeds in using the film’s conceit – of a curse spread through witnessing suicide – to explore the nature of the pain that emerges in the aftermath of suicide and the general public’s inability to understand the depth of horror experienced by people in a state of mental crisis. In front of the camera, Sosie Bacon serves as a highly effective window into the film’s world, portraying her character’s growing dread and struggles to confront her predicament in a manner that makes her easy for viewers to latch onto. There’s also well-played character work across the board from the supporting cast, as just about every actor understands what is needed from them in a given scene and plays it effectively. The premise of Smile walks such a fine line between horror and unintentional comedy that even a few missteps could have resulted in disaster, but the finished product is an entertaining affair that does a solid job of balancing visceral scares with haunting social commentary.

B+

This didn’t work for me at all. It just felt like a lazy smashing together of It Follows and Ring but crammed with predictable LOUD MUSIC jump scares. I’m actually quite baffled as to why this has connected with audiences in the way that it has. Each to their own though as I can see others found something in it, and bravo to Paramount for capitalising on it I guess.

Sosie Bacon was decent though, she gave a committed performance that rescues it from me giving it an F grade, it’s just a shame the movie itself wasn’t up to the standard of her acting.

• Like 1

This was alright, had some fun scares and a creepy enough vibe. Don't really get the praise, it's a perfectly serviceable horror film, nothing crazy. Also how many "frazzled brunette woman haunted by a metaphor for trauma/depression/mental illness" movies are they going to make? They just did this last year with The Night House (which tbf was a complete snoozefest and this is a lot better). The evil smile curse is plenty, you don't need these boring serious TV drama scenes about "real" issues. They're boring and don't add anything. 

Ending was easily the best part. Creature looked cool and freaky and I like bleak endings in horror films. Director definitely understood the importance of going out with a bang (again looking at you Night House).