The Wild Eric

Weekdays Thread (12/19-22) | Avatar: The Way of 14.5 | Mon 16.2, Tue 18.3, Wed 14.3, Thu 14.5| Puss 3.2 OD | Check In For Your Hourly Weather Update

2 minutes ago, M37 said:

Here are the Tue to Wed holds for the big tentpole since TFA (excluding those years directly impacted by X-Mas), and the Wednesday openings on that day

NWH (12/22/21) = -11.3% (Sing 2, Matrix, King's Man)

TLJ (12/20/17) = -16.6% (Jumanji WTJ, Greatest Showman)

RO (12/21/16) = -14.9% (Sing, Assassin's Creed, Passengers)

TFA (12/23/15) = +1.8% (no Wed openings)

So $15.5, maybe $16M is the baseline expectations bar

Big caveat though is that Avatar has had a much bigger Tuesday bump than those films which dropped on Tuesday.

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/avatar-the-way-of-water-box-office-550-million-1235467215/

On Tuesday, “Avatar: The Way of Water” added a solid $18.3 million domestically and $40.5 million internationally. So far, it’s generated $168.6 million domestically and $387.3 million internationally to date, taking its global tally to $555.9 million.

Wednesday AM: Avatar: The Way of Water scored $18.3M yesterday, +13% over Monday, and the best Tuesday of 2022, besting Rise of Gru‘s $17.5M. This takes the domestic running total of the James Cameron directed sequel to $168.6M. Global Tuesday was $58.5M. Overseas running total is $387.3M for a running WW total of $555.9M.

Imax stateside did $2.2M, 12% of Tuesday’s ticket sales. Imax share was down from Monday due to discount ticket Tuesday. That share of sales will jump up today.

• Astonished 1

11 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Everyone just needs to wait a week honestly then we'll know hows its going to do.

I mean, if most of us here woudnt overreact at early numbers, would it still be BOT? To always have nothing but 100% sound reasoning would become quite stale imo and a big part of the fun following big movies like Avatar 2 is to adapt ones view on its trajectory and prospects daily.

I mean come on, you Avatar loonies should know why hyperboles can be a lot of fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

01. Aliens 10/10 perfect movie

02. Terminator 2 - 10/10 perfect action movie

Don't agree with the rest of your ranking, but yes to this. Including the notes. Aliens is PROBABLY my all-time favourite movie. I can rewatch it endlessly.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

we could run a quick case study!

SECTION A | Give a score between 0 and 10 for the following questions, with 10 being love, and 0 being hate.

How much do you like the Star Wars franchise?

How much do you like MCU?

How much do you like the Avatar franchise?

SECTION B | Answer yes or no for the following questions

Would Avatar flopping bring you enjoyment?

Are you wishing for meltdowns on this website?

No one is saying avatar is flopping and it won't flop. Tbh it's on you and some other guys who were predicting $3B+ even going far as $5B. I mean you guys were so casual about it repeating it again and again. So it's your lofty goals that you set for yourself that's going to bring you disappointment. 

And yes meltdowns are fun 😈

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

Don't agree with the rest of your ranking, but yes to this. Including the notes. Aliens is PROBABLY my all-time favourite movie. I can rewatch it endlessly.

Cameron mastered the art of sequel-making with those two films. How often comes a sequel along that manages to stand eye to eye (or even above, depending on who youre asking) to an already absolutely beloved original film? And the crazy man did it twice.

1 minute ago, Nero said:

No one is saying avatar is flopping and it won't flop. Tbh it's on you and some other guys who were predicting $3B+ even going far as $5B. I mean you guys were so casual about it repeating it again and again. So it's your lofty goals that you set for yourself that's going to bring you disappointment. 

And yes meltdowns are fun 😈

it's very much on track to become the highest grossing post-covid film of all time B)

How much do you like the Star Wars franchise?

How much do you like MCU?

Phase 1: 8

Phase 2 and 3: 6

Phase 4: 4

How much do you like the Avatar franchise?

Hard to say it since it's a 2 movies franchise so far and I enjoyed the first movie way better than the second. I'm still interested in the future of Avatar but wouldn't say I'm hyped.

Would Avatar flopping bring you enjoyment?

No, all the opposite. Even when I wasn't s big fan of Way Off Water I still appreciate the hard work done by Cameron and it be boring of Comic Book movies and Illumination movies are everything that succeeds nowadays.

Are you wishing for meltdowns on this website?

Some of the meltdowns have been funny NGL, but most of them are just irritating

2 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Cameron mastered the art of sequel-making with those two films. How often comes a sequel along that manages to stand eye to eye (or even above, depending on who youre asking) to an already absolutely beloved original film? And the crazy man did it twice.

Shame he couldn’t do it a third. 

😈😈

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1

13 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

01. Aliens 10/10 perfect movie

02. Terminator 2 - 10/10 perfect action movie

03. Terminator 1 9/10 - a true classic

04. The Abyss - 9/10 - still too underrated!

05. Avatar - 7/10 - pretty movie!

06. True Lies - 7/10 - gets worse with every rewatch for me, but still solid 90s action

07. Titanic - 2/10 - Boring

I dont think i have to explain what my hottake here is and i hope i wont get murdered too fast for it.

Too late ...

axe-axe-murderer.gif

• Haha 2