Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Avatar 95.6m, PiB 20.05m, Babylon 4.85m 4 days

I have no idea what to expect from Avengers 5 and 6 in terms of worldwide box office.

Franchise fatigue and losing China could hurt the total gross bigly.

It will come down to how much of a crowd pleaser they are.

But if they're trash then it will be TLJ and TROS all over again.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Legion in Boots said:

Avengers 1 behaved better than avengers 3. I expect KD will perform worse than 2 at this point but may still be able to hit 2B if it gets China

$1.5 billion with China more likely. The leads(Big 3) of the movie would be Captain America, a female character (Shuri, Carol, or Wanda), and Spider-Man or Doctor Strange.

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I have no idea what to expect from Avengers 5 and 6 in terms of worldwide box office.

Franchise fatigue and losing China could hurt the total gross bigly.

It will come down to how much of a crowd pleaser they are.

But if they're trash then it will be TLJ and TROS all over again.

For the 5th Avengers at least, theres only one way and that is down both from Endgame and Infinity War. It all comes down to the question if the MCU is able to generate another iconic villain in Kang that is seen by the GA as a worthy successor to Thanos or not. Im relatively sure they will be able to make it a crowdpleaser but like you said, franchise fatigue could play a role, especially so since iconic characters like Tony Stark or Steve Rogers wont be there anymore and lets be real, those two were the main characters of the Infinity Saga.

14 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Not when covid19 came in between and exchange rates are all wonky all over the world. But yes, a typical baniya would be sad to see returns /profits lower compared to previous investment when expenditure is much more. Are you Punjabi baniya? Curious. 

Punjabi Jatt.

btw my example was a bit wrong. real analogy would be a baniya won't be happy if he sell 15/30 items, with 15 being wasted in stock vs selling 25/30 in 2016, even tho due to inflation he may have same or higher revenue.

Since you pointed COVID19 and Exchange rates, they have actually raised importance of admission tracking.

Just now, Factcheck said:

$1.5 billion with China more likely. The leads(Big 3) of the movie would be Captain America, a female character (Shuri, Carol, or Wanda), and Spider-Man or Doctor Strange.

DS almost managed $1B by himself without China. If China it would have been $1.1-1.2B. So you think Avengers will only add 300M ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Longevity is an accomplishment in itself.

Not every franchise can last 30 films.

Its not really longevity though when they have a factory production line churning out multiple films a year.

I mean didnt the first AVATAR release long before Marvel started making films themselves?

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

Its not really longevity though when they have a factory production line churning out multiple films a year.

I mean didnt the first AVATAR release long before Marvel started making films themselves?

Iron Man came out the year before Avatar.

• Like 4

Nope. Iron Man came out in May 2008, 1 1/2 years before Avatar.

• Like 1

No. Iron Man released in 2008 while Avatar in 2009

• Like 1

I think the coming weeks are going to be VERY strong and $600m is on the table. People only want to see this in Imax 3d and those are still PACKED to the brim with no seats. Many may very well wait till Jan to see it as so many imax 3d for reasonable times have already been packed for the rest of the year.