CJohn

M3GAN W33K3ND THR3AD | ACTUALS - DADDY CAM3RON'S MAGNUM OPUS 45.8M | DOCUM3NTARY ABOUT KILL3R DOLL 30.4M | ORANG3 PANTH3R 13.5M

1 minute ago, Alexdube said:

There is no hyperbole, I'm being literal. How many +100 xmas openers have 5x legs?

Exactly.

You're being dumb. It happened to fall in a nominal OW range where the sample size is extremely low, being exceptional in a statistical trivial sense doesn't mean being exceptional in a plain English sense.

• Knock It Off 7

1 minute ago, Legion in Boots said:

Because it's the only 100+ Xmas outside of specifically front loaded  marvel and SW 

So if considering all the +100M OW on december, the only one that will be around 5x is Avatar, then it´s statiscally not normal. 

Especially because let´s be honest, until the second weekend there was a reasonable projection that the movie maybe won´t even get to R1 numbers, which would be similar legs to TFA. So yes, only 15 days ago, for many people there was a real possibility of this behaving like a ´´frontloaded SW movie´´, now that we know it won´t, again, it´s not normal. 

• Like 10

saw avatar 2 for the second time, this time in hfr (it worked to great effect most of the time but needed a bit more ironing)

Pretty insane for me to see a movie a 2nd time in theaters, only other time I did it was with avatar 1, and that was mostly because I wanted to show others the tech, this rewatch of 2 was for myself, because its such a relaxing movie and I wanted to clear my thoughts surrouding it

the first half was more effective because I actually cared about the kids right from the get go, many aspects of the movie warmed my heart, and that was even more pronounced the second time around, some of content in the first half is still a bit uninteresting but my fondness for the characters helped me power through

the 2nd half is still very impressive, but it was a little bit less insane than I remembered it being, wow factor was diminished a bit, still awesome though

A few scenes felt like they were missing, particularily transition ones and those that help expand on a few points

The big thing this rewatch highlighed was how great the pacing is, felt like 2 hours the first time around, but like 1.5 this time, not sure how Jimmy C managed that, moment to moment pacing between scenes is a bit awkward though

Conclusion: Avatar 2 is a very flawed movie, but its such a pleasant and relaxing experience that I really dont care about those flaws too much, its just such an easy movie to watch and enjoy, and almost a week after the first viewing, it still captures my thoughts 

8.8/10

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Legion in Boots said:

You're being dumb. It happened to fall in a nominal OW range where the sample size is extremely low, being exceptional in a statistical trivial sense doesn't mean being exceptional in a plain English sense.

you said 5x is normal for Christmas blockbusters. I guess Marvel and Star Wars movies aren't normal xmas blockbusters? What are you thinking about then

I think A2 need few more exceptional holds to complete this run and there is no reason it wont get them. It has open runway for a while. Let us not qualify the run until its complete. Movies tend to gross more than what we think is possible after initial few weeks. We saw that with maverick as well. Just go back to weekend threads during this time. Plus this movie will have a long run for sure. It aint coming on D+ until JC blesses it. He owns the IP. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Legion in Boots said:

Compare to frontloaded franchises isn´t more nonsense than comparing with 60 - 70M OW´s 

Both cases isn´t that great of a comparisson for this movie, so why you can use movies that opened with half of the A2 opening to say how it´s behaving normally, but when someone uses the same logic and compares to other 100M OW´s you say they´re dumb? 

Who are you to say people is dumb because they dare to disagreed with your pov? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

1 minute ago, Alexdube said:

you said 5x is normal for Christmas blockbusters. I guess Marvel and Star Wars movies aren't normal xmas blockbusters? What are you thinking about then

MCU in this era and SW are all very frontloaded movies. So their holiday fueled run will also reflect that. If A3 opens way bigger then it will be more frontloaded as well. but I feel with this franchise I dont think the GA will be in a hurry to see it. They will just wait to watch it at their leisure. So I would not predict way bigger OW for A3, though I would hope 150m would happen. I also have a slight hope that JC would make slightly smaller movie next time around. No need for another 3 hour movie. but that's not looking likely at this point :-)  

• Like 2

5x is not normal for christmas blockbusters, none of the 4 SW movies or NWH pulled those numbers, lets not revisionist history here considering the "under 573m" and "under Wakanda Forever" clubs that were being thrown around and lauded after opening weekend

• Like 7

Moderation

Just a reminder before I head to bed that you can argue and debate if The Way of Water's legs are above average, average, or below average without insulting the other person's intelligence. Last I checked, we are adults, correct?

uSN.gif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2

5 minutes ago, 3RIC said:

Last I checked, we are adults, correct?

I have no idea really

I certainly wasnt one when I began following jumanji's run

The thing with Avatar though is unlike Marvel which a large part of the rush (at least through Endgame) was spoiler-driven, the draw for Avatar is to see it on the best screen/seating possible and with less rabid fan base / greater GA appeal it makes sense there is a contingent of people content to wait for the initial rush to dissipate. Was underscored by our IMAX showing tonight being basically sold out.

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

MCU in this era and SW are all very frontloaded movies. So their holiday fueled run will also reflect that. If A3 opens way bigger then it will be more frontloaded as well. but I feel with this franchise I dont think the GA will be in a hurry to see it. They will just wait to watch it at their leisure. So I would not predict way bigger OW for A3, though I would hope 150m would happen. I also have a slight hope that JC would make slightly smaller movie next time around. No need for another 3 hour movie. but that's not looking likely at this point 🙂  

Yeah I agree with all of that. The thing is a lot of people thought A2 was going to behave like just another frontloaded sequel, and that clearly did not happen. So I don't know how you can call the legs "normal" on this movie when it has surprised most people on this forum.

As for the running time, well it's hard to say JC made the wrong call considering the success the movie is having. So I don't know if we'll see the same thing for A3, but Cameron likes to take his time for sure. I think the only thing dragging down A2, and why maybe it felt long to some people, is that the movie had to introduce a lot of new characters. Now that all the pieces are in place, I think A3 is going to be even better.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, 3RIC said:

Moderation

Just a reminder before I head to bed that you can argue and debate if The Way of Water's legs are above average, average, or below average without insulting the other person's intelligence. Last I checked, we are adults, correct?

uSN.gif

Empire City got banned for exhibiting the same behavior, and to be honest I don’t remember him name calling. 

• Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, Xavier said:

Empire City got banned for exhibiting the same behavior, and to be honest I don’t remember him name calling. 

Oh trust and believe, he did. The difference is Legion knows when to back off. 

or, at least,… I believe he did. I don’t know if this is the hill he intends to die on. 😘

40 minutes ago, Legion in Boots said:

Lol @ that warning.   

anyway I'll whip up some graphs for you guys in a bit since it seems like you aren't quite grasping the relevant historical facts.

Could you be a bit more condescending next time? That might get more people on your side.

• Like 2