GOGODanca

Weekday Thread (1/30 - 2/2)

44 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

Titanic had 101 days over $1mil straight. Avatar had 80 days. A2 will either have 48 days or 52 days. 

Just saw you said record of most days over $1mil- Titanic had 101 days straight and 123 days with $1mil+ gross. 

Keep in mind that was $1M in 1997 BO$

It didn’t drop below $774K for another 3 weeks, 122 straight days, until Mon April freaking 20th for a December release 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, M37 said:

Keep in mind that was $1M in 1997 BO$

It didn’t drop below $774K for another 3 weeks, 122 straight days, until Mon April freaking 20th for a December release 

Oh I didn't take into account inflation! I keep forgetting how truly wild Titanic's run was. Thanks :) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hiccup23 said:

Oh I didn't take into account inflation! I keep forgetting how truly wild Titanic's run was. Thanks :) 

Imagine if this December 15-ish a movie opened domestically to a 60M weekend & didn't have a weekend below:

60M until mid-January

50M until mid-February

30M until the beginning of April

For those few of us who tracked this stuff back in '97, it was absolutely unfathomable.

Edited by LinksterAC
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

2 hours ago, LinksterAC said:

Imagine if this December 15-ish a movie opened domestically to a 60M weekend & didn't have a weekend below:

60M until mid-January

50M until mid-February

30M until the beginning of April

For those few of us who tracked this stuff back in '97, it was absolutely unfathomable.

E.T.'s run was close, though a bit different. E.T. legs were even more backloaded than TITANIC's.

ET's 4th weekend was bigger than the OW record at the time. Its first 7 weekends were all within 23.1% of the OW record. The closest TITANIC was away from the OW record of the time was 50.9%. In weekend 7 TITANIC was 64.1% away from THE LOST WORLD'S opening.

E.T. was a summer release so it had weaker weekends/stronger weekdays compared to most of TITANIC's run. If you compare their weeks instead of weekends, E.T. beat TITANIC in week 4, 6 and 8, then consistently won after week 18. Thanks to Christmas E.T.'s 29th week was bigger than its 14th in which it grossed a staggering $23m adjusted. The last time TITANIC saw those numbers was week 17.

E.T. played for over a year in its initial run. In its 52nd weekend, which is the last one I could find numbers for, it grossed $7.3m adjusted. TITANIC set sail from theatres after 41 weeks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

E.T.'s run was close, though a bit different. E.T. legs were even more backloaded than TITANIC's.

ET's 4th weekend was bigger than the OW record at the time. Its first 7 weekends were all within 23.1% of the OW record. The closest TITANIC was away from the OW record of the time was 50.9%. In weekend 7 TITANIC was 64.1% away from THE LOST WORLD'S opening.

E.T. was a summer release so it had weaker weekends/stronger weekdays compared to most of TITANIC's run. If you compare their weeks instead of weekends, E.T. beat TITANIC in week 4, 6 and 8, then consistently won after week 18. Thanks to Christmas E.T.'s 29th week was bigger than its 14th in which it grossed a staggering $23m adjusted. The last time TITANIC saw those numbers was week 17.

E.T. played for over a year in its initial run. In its 52nd weekend, which is the last one I could find numbers for, it grossed $7.3m adjusted. TITANIC set sail from theatres after 41 weeks.

That’s different times

Gone with the wind and the sound of music run is more impressive

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Yah E.T. and Titanic probably the two most impressive runs post-82, although I still give the edge to Titanic since it had to compete with home video / cable and was more global (+Diamond selling soundtrack).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

time for a stupid question

how did e.t market itself in order to reach such heights at the box office, all of the other runs of similar caliber have much stronger hooks (atlest in theory) in comparasion to the somewhat small scale e.t?

2 hours ago, Sophia Jane said:

That’s different times

Gone with the wind and the sound of music run is more impressive

Different times but not that different.

The second highest grossing film of '82 was TOOTSIE and it ran for 28 weeks. (53.8% of E.T. [assuming it ended its run at 52]). The second highest grossing film of '97 was MEN IN BLACK and it also ran for 28 weeks. (68% of TITANIC).

Both E.T. and TITANIC were exceptional in their own time.

I would agree that GWTW and THE SOUND OF MUSIC (and I would add STAR WARS) had more impressive runs but we don't have their complete weekly/weekend grosses so we can't compare.

44 minutes ago, budice said:

If Knock at the Cabin supposed to have a $20M weekend.  It has a ways to go.  Might have 20 tickets sold at the local theater for Thu previews.  Generally not a good sign.

It was interesting that I was in a group board discussion about this movie with adults 35+ - and the 1st question from the male posters was "how is this a movie - why wouldn't dad just sacrifice himself in the 1st 30 seconds to save the rest of his family?"  This may be why the movie is skewing male 17-34 per BoxOfficePro.  I'm not sure adults 35+ can imagine why this decision is so hard and how it can be a full length movie if that's the only conflict...

43 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

time for a stupid question

how did e.t market itself in order to reach such heights at the box office, all of the other runs of similar caliber have much stronger hooks (atlest in theory) in comparasion to the somewhat small scale e.t?

The trailer leaned heavily on Spielberg's previous box office smashes - JAWS, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, RAIDERs.

Cleverly, the trailer didn't show E.T. so if you wanted to see what E.T. looked like you had to see the movie.

But the main reason for its success was that it was a word of mouth monster.

Edited by CaptNathanBrittles

55 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It was interesting that I was in a group board discussion about this movie with adults 35+ - and the 1st question from the male posters was "how is this a movie - why wouldn't dad just sacrifice himself in the 1st 30 seconds to save the rest of his family?"  This may be why the movie is skewing male 17-34 per BoxOfficePro.  I'm not sure adults 35+ can imagine why this decision is so hard and how it can be a full length movie if that's the only conflict...

Because that wasn’t the plot of the movie.