grim22

AMC to trial pricing based on seat location

OH

MY

GOD!!!

That can't be right. 

THAT CAN ***NOT*** BE RIGHT!!!!

Essentially, AMC will offer moviegoers three options when buying tickets based on where they want to sit in the theater:

• Value sightline- These tickets are for AMC Stubs members only and are the seats directly in front of the movie screen. These seats have the lowest price point of the new sightline plan.

• Standard sightline- These tickets make up the majority of the movie theater auditorium. These seats are available for the traditional cost of a ticket.

• Preferred sightline- These tickets make up the middle section of the auditorium, centering moviegoers in the theater. These seats are priced slightly higher than the standard sightline ticket.

The new sightline plan is only applied to showtimes that begin after 4 p.m. and is not available on discount Tuesdays at AMC.

*checks AMC Corp site*

Sightline at AMC more closely aligns AMC’s approach to seat pricing with the experience-based options offered by other entertainment and event venues, and offers three different seat-pricing options:

• Standard Sightline – these seats are the most common in auditoriums and are available for the traditional cost of a ticket
  • Value Sightline – these seats are in the front row of the auditorium, as well as select ADA seats in each auditorium, and are available at a lower price than Standard Sightline seats. Value Sightline pricing is only available to AMC Stubs members, including the free tier membership – AMC Insider.
  • Preferred Sightline – these seats are typically in the middle of the auditorium and are priced at a slight premium to Standard Sightline seats. As an added benefit to AMC’s most loyal moviegoers, AMC Stubs A-List members may make reservations in the Preferred Sightline Section at no additional cost.

Theatres that offer Sightline at AMC will provide a detailed seat map that clearly outlines each seating option during the ticket purchase process online, on the AMC app, and at the box office. Sightline at AMC is applied to all showtimes that begin after 4 p.m. at participating locations and is not applicable on Discount Tuesdays.

So to qualify for the discount, I have to sign up with them?

lolololll....

*stops for a second and sees something not mentioned in the original article*

Okay, as I read it a tiny bit more carefully, they will allow folks who sign up for the (at the moment) free tier to get this oh-so-generous discount.  But you still have to sign up with AMC.  All to save two bucks and get a neck ache in the process.

Want to buy tickets on a whim via Fandango or Atom or somewhere else?  Travelling out of town and decide to check out a movie at AMC? Sucks to be you if you're not already signed up with AMC!

I think I'm mostly laughing at the idea that I have to sign up with AMC just to save money in the very front row.

(I wouldn't have reacted quite the same way if the original article pointed out that the free tier qualified, but ef' em.  I already typed it all out and I don't feel like re-working this post :lol:)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Porthos said:

OH

MY

GOD!!!

That can't be right. 

THAT CAN ***NOT*** BE RIGHT!!!!

*checks AMC Corp site*

So to qualify for the discount, I have to sign up with them?

lolololll....

*stops for a second and sees something not mentioned in the original article*

Okay, as I read it a tiny bit more carefully, they will allow folks who sign up for the (at the moment) free tier to get this oh-so-generous discount.  But you still have to sign up with AMC.  All to save two bucks and get a neck ache in the process.

Want to buy tickets on a whim via Fandango or Atom or somewhere else?  Travelling out of town and decide to check out a movie at AMC? Sucks to be you if you're not already signed up with AMC!

I think I'm mostly laughing at the idea that I have to sign up with AMC just to save money in the very front row.

(I wouldn't have reacted quite the same way if the original article pointed out that the free tier qualified, but ef' em.  I already typed it all out and I don't feel like re-working this post :lol:)

They’re putting all this effort into this “sight line” and “value” nonsense, only it’s all for show. They have no intention of ever selling those value seats, both by location and now the hoops to jump through to even be eligible for such a purchase  

It’s just meant to be cover to gloss over what they want to do, which is charge more for the most popular seats! I understand not wanting repeat backlash like they had for premium pricing for new releases … but that died down pretty quick, no? (Not to mentioned no one really noticed it actually started with NWH across most MTCs and not just Batman at AMC)

I suspect this whole PR campaign is going to wind up drawing more attention - and ire - than if they had just added a fee and kept quiet or just put out a brief statement 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, M37 said:

They’re putting all this effort into this “sight line” and “value” nonsense, only it’s all for show. They have no intention of ever selling those value seats, both by location and now the hoops to jump through to even be eligible for such a purchase  

I almost wish I tracked AMC theaters, just to see how many of these seats actually get sold, coz like you I suspect: Not Many.

Oh at first, I suspect some value hunters will pop for them just as a point of pride.  But as the dust settles?  Well, like I said, I suspect: Not many.