GOGODanca

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania — Weekend Thread | 105.5M 3-Day, 120M 4-Day

2 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I personally didn't like Fury Road that much as I am not really a big action movie buff but I atleast sorta understood why it had such good WOM and worked for general audience. With Revenant, the only positive thing I have to say about that movie is that it has some cool visuals.

I love pretty much anything period piece so when period pieces are done with care and the details and quality are top notch I'll probably fall in love with it.

For the same reasons one of my other favourite films is The Witch.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Wait, what? I was hoping for $5M for THE WAY OF WATER, but was told it would be difficult since the movie would lose those important premium screens.

Isn't DH just inventing numbers here? 😂😂😂 Because those are insane holds. And my goodness, PUSS IN BOOTS: THE LAST WISH. I could not be any happier for that movie. It has finally bumped BLACK ADAM from the top 10 of 2022. 😂

Those nums do look a bit high — and you can confirm that vs say the derby avgs:

Ava 4.94

Puss 4.82

Brady 3.63

I was personally a little bit higher with 5.35, 5.28, and 3.83, so I like what deadline is cooking.   

The most important thing here is that we are trading a massively depressed sun last wknd for a holiday inflated sun, so the nominal 3day figs are going to be way better than perhaps a more “true” drop of say sat to sat. Puss in particular I have had fingered for an increase this wknd thanks to the calendar since back in December.   

That said, the early deadline nums are even stronger than that — would represent standing up very well to QM. Hope they’re close but definitely taking a mild U on actuals for now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Wait, what? I was hoping for $5M for THE WAY OF WATER, but was told it would be difficult since the movie would lose those important premium screens.

Isn't DH just inventing numbers here? 😂😂😂 Because those are insane holds. And my goodness, PUSS IN BOOTS: THE LAST WISH. I could not be any happier for that movie. It has finally bumped BLACK ADAM from the top 10 of 2022. 😂

A2 lost only 22% of PLF shows (19K -> 15K). It lost higher % of shows than this during the Knock at the Cabin release weekend. It did lose all the 2,300 Imax shows though

9 minutes ago, Landon1195 said:

Any theories on why Quantumania is underperforming more overseas than domestically?

OS have had a bad reception on almost every movie since NWH. SK and China was a big part of Ant-Man 2 gross. Those markets aren´t what they used for the MCU. Most of the other markets for Ant-Man 2 wasn´t really that big. Combine that with the bad WOM it collapses. 

Just now, Verrows said:

I love pretty much anything period piece so when period pieces are done with care and the details and quality are top notch I'll probably fall in love with it.

For the same reasons one of my other favourite films is The Witch.

I don't mind period pieces but this one was a huge bore. I kinda wonder how a movie like this would have performed at boxoffice in post-covid environment

1 hour ago, Killimano3 said:

I just saw Antman and honestly... it wasn't that bad?

Like was it a top tier film and one of the best MCU movies? No not really. A lot of it felt a little irrelevant and it ran through a lot of the typical Marvel plot points and cliches, and was a little heavy on the CGI, but at the end of the day I felt it struck a much better balance between humor and drama, had a stronger story overall, and felt more consistent than the last couple (Like Thor, and MoM).

Like was it perfect? No. But reviews making it look like the worst MCU movie yet? Really? Not by a long shot is it that bad

I agree. Critics are becoming overly critical of the MCU which could be a sign of fatigue. Things that were fine 3 years ago are now nitpicked at

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Landon1195 said:

Do you think GOTG Vol. 3 still has a chance at a billion?

Sure it has a chance but it will need great great great WOM cause it's gonna be swamped with competition after 2 weeks and previous MCU strongholds like s.korea and china are looking to contribute less than they would have previously

3 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

I don't mind period pieces but this one was a huge bore. I kinda wonder how a movie like this would have performed at boxoffice in post-covid environment

Oh, nowhere close. That's the unfortunate reality of the post covid box office. 

1 minute ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I agree. Critics are becoming overly critical of the MCU which could be a sign of fatigue. Things that were fine 3 years ago are now nitpicked at

I agree here. The quality of the MCU is dropping but the drop on quality doesn't necessarily match the drop in critical reception. I think critic scores for the MCU before were actually a bit inflated.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

you could argue that Ant Man 3's RT rating isn't actually too low, but some previous MCU movies scores were too high

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, M37 said:

To be fair, the only real comparable Thur/Fri - since BPWF had a holiday, Thor was summer, and the rest were far lower - is MoM. That had far more hype and edged over a 1.5x, so nudging up to or slightly over 1.6x from a 40% lower preview value a holiday weekend isn’t all that much better, due to worse WOM

But I’m definitely in wait and see mode, given how weak walk-ups were last night and (from what I’m hearing) for later evening shows tonight 

Among normal schoolday releases the preview is actually closer to Eternals than DS2 (fairly halfway — it’s +84% et and DS2 106% over it):

Et:

Fri 2.24x

Sat +13

Sun -32

DS2

Fri 1.52x

Sat +6%

Sun -33% (Mother’s Day)

With a bit of a knock to DS2 for reception maybe say 1.48x +2% -35? Eternals was 6PM instead of 3PM maybe adjust to say 2x +16% -32. Geomeans from there would be:

Fri 1.72x

Sat +9%

But Sats seems to have recovered som vs pandemic, should be easily double digit

6 hours ago, GOGODanca said:

The rest of the top five includes Universal/DreamWorks Animation’s Puss in Boots: The Last Wish at 2,675 with a robust ninth weekend of $6.4M over 3 (+15%) and $8.5M over 4 days getting the animated sequel to $169.3M, beating last year’s domestic final of Sing 2 ($162.7M). The pic’s Friday is $1.45M.

Third belongs to the tenth weekend of 20th/Lightstorm/Disney’s Avatar: The Way of Water at 2,675 locations with a $1.4M Friday, with a $6.5M 3-day (-10%), 4 day of $8.1M, running total of $659M which will make the James Cameron directed movie the 9th highest of all-time on the domestic box office list.

Fourth is Warner Bros.’ second weekend of Magic Mike’s Last Dance at 3,034 with a $1.5M Friday, 3 day of $4.7M (-43%), 4-day of $5.4M and running total just under $18M.

Paramount’s 80 for Brady is fifth at 3,119 with a third Friday of $1.05M, 3-day of $4M, -31%, 4-day of $4.7M and running total of $33.3M.

What the heck? Puss increasing and A2 barely dropping

Those nice Puss legs:

FoZI_X9WAAYUxAo?format=jpg&name=900x900

Edited by Ladybug
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2

Not to be a doom-and-gloomer, but my sellout crowd at Quantumania was easily the quietest crowd I've ever seen at an MCU movie - and I saw all of them opening weekend, and almost all with at least near-capacity crowds.

I'm still rooting for a big weekend number (because who doesn't love those?), but it was a much different vibe than I got from even the more divisive prior entries in the extended series.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Not to be a doom-and-gloomer, but my sellout crowd at Quantumania was easily the quietest crowd I've ever seen at an MCU movie - and I saw all of them opening weekend, and almost all with at least near-capacity crowds.

I'm still rooting for a big weekend number (because who doesn't love those?), but it was a much different vibe than I got from even the more divisive prior entries in the extended series.

I was kind of surprised how upbeat mine was. Any crowd can react in any way on any given day I guess.