GOGODanca

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania — Weekend Thread | 105.5M 3-Day, 120M 4-Day

22 hours ago, Valonqar said:

is that the second movie in a row with a bad OS? Hard to say what L&T would make with China. But Quantum and WF opened there too.

OVERSEAS - CHINA and RUSSIA

$417.7M | THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER

$403.1M | THOR: RAGNAROK

LOVE AND THUNDER actually did relatively well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, M37 said:

Are we sure WOM for AMWQ is actually bad? Reviews certainly aren’t good, but nothing in daily numbers shows degradation, and audience score is still high (84%)

Purely anecdotal: But from what I can gather, WOM seems to be more mixed than Love and Thunder or Eternals. Seen people who love Quantumania and have talked to people who hated it. 

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator
4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think this is the only forum doom posting after a sequel increased from 75m to 105m OW 🙂 Everywhere else I see only optimism. 

^^^

And honestly, I'm curious to watch holds from here on. My gut (and subjective viewing experience in a theater) tells me this is playing better than critics suggested. Maybe partly because it has a family core and easy-to-digest comedic element which some Phase 4 movies didn't. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think this is the only forum doom posting after a sequel increased from 75m to 105m OW 🙂 Everywhere else I see only optimism. 

Way to miss the point.

Also you need to be next level fan to see optimism in B Cinemascore.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD

7 minutes ago, Shawn said:

^^^

And honestly, I'm curious to watch holds from here on. My gut (and subjective viewing experience in a theater) tells me this is playing better than critics suggested. Maybe partly because it has a family core and easy-to-digest comedic element which some Phase 4 movies didn't. 

I don't think it's gonna be any more GA-pulling than Dr Strange.  Since that was my on point movie for this, I'd expect the same type of legs, with late legs buoyed a touch by spring breaks just like MoM late legs were buoyed a touch by summer breaks til theater drops kick in...

AKA - I can't see the family who sees this who didn't see MoM, and vice versa.  The invested, little super hero kid (or parent) who drags the rest.  Especially with 3 family movies coming by Easter - Shazam, D&D, and Mario...families can't pay for all of them, so early WOM would make this the "pass" b/c it's not playing huge on kid social media...

That said, it did open $82Mish less than Strange for the 3 day, and then has the extra holiday, so the OW audience push into Monday could kick the multiplier a touch higher to 2.3 (vs the 2.2xish of MoM)...but that's it...

16 minutes ago, Shawn said:

it has a family core 

think I heard some critics mention that to their surprise the family core isnt actually there

• Founder / Operator
8 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I don't think it's gonna be any more GA-pulling than Dr Strange.  Since that was my on point movie for this, I'd expect the same type of legs, with late legs buoyed a touch by spring breaks just like MoM late legs were buoyed a touch by summer breaks til theater drops kick in...

AKA - I can't see the family who sees this who didn't see MoM, and vice versa.  The invested, little super hero kid (or parent) who drags the rest.  Especially with 3 family movies coming by Easter - Shazam, D&D, and Mario...families can't pay for all of them, so early WOM would make this the "pass" b/c it's not playing huge on kid social media...

That said, it did open $82Mish less than Strange for the 3 day, and then has the extra holiday, so the OW audience push into Monday could kick the multiplier a touch higher to 2.3 (vs the 2.2xish of MoM)...but that's it...

I'd counter that Strange isn't a fair comparison since it was definitely off-putting to families with its horror elements. That's part of the reason its legs couldn't sustain even with minimal competition. It was probably one of the least family-friendly MCU films released in some time.

Quantumania might lean toward the other end of the spectrum with its established ensemble comedy vibes after two (now three) films, which really helped its legs in 2015 and 2018 already. But that's up for debate until we see more holds. It might play more like a frontloaded sci-fi, just too early to tell for sure.

I agree though about possible competition coming up, but nothing really hits it directly for another month. Creed III slightly and because of premium screens.

• Like 3

I seriously don’t intend to start any fan boy wars, but when I see that they made a freaking Ant Man trilogy, with perhaps the most insignificant of superheroes, I’m constantly reminded of the fact that the masterpiece that was Man of Steel couldn’t get a real sequel and my faith in this world is getting crushed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1