kayumanggi

Weekend Thread (02.24 - 02.26) | Actuals: 31.96M QUANTUMANIA | 23.26M COCAINE BEAR | 15.80M JESUS REVOLUTION

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Cocaine Bear and Jesus Revolution combining for nearly $40M this weekend seems like an excellent sign for the "original" titles hoping to serve as counterprogramming in the upcoming months like Love Again and No Hard Feelings. After two full years of total feast or famine, it's nice to see that we can close the book on the notion of "the non-tentpole is dead in theaters."

It's really nice to have the originals perform well in the face of the Antman collapse. Without the success of those, this easily becomes a doom and gloom weekend about the death of the movie theater that we've gotten continuously the last few years.

I'm hoping we get a couple of solid $40M+ openings the next couple of weeks with Creed and Scream to really emphasize it. Creed is in tough, but, good reviews may propel it. Scream looks like its on a great trajectory.

Any reason why Ant Man is doing a lot better than Wakanda Forever in China?.

In fact its doing quite well in quite a few asian countries from that area for some reason. I was checking the international numbers earlier in the week on Mojo, and the film is doing pretty meh everywhwre except asia for some reason where its doing 'ok'.

10 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I still see QUANTUMANIA crossing $500M worldwide, but that's not really a win.

Thinking very close with AM1.    

If it was median mcu quality would be sailing to 800+. Brutal. Gotta start  making good movies again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

In fact its doing quite well in quite a few asian countries from that area for some reason. I was checking the international numbers earlier in the week on Mojo, and the film is doing pretty meh everywhwre except asia for some reason where its doing 'ok'.

WAKANDA FOREVER had probably been pirated massively before it opened in China. The competition is also crazy, being released after big Spring Festival titles and so close to QUANTUMANIA.

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

Wakanda Forever was released in China 3 days after the launch on Disney+.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm really curious if more studios start standing up to Marvel and start dating some of their tentpoles directly against them. Marvel's definitely not the invincible behemoth they were last decade. Dune 2, which is currently set for the weekend before The Marvels, might honestly do perfectly fine staying there, as I don't think the post-Endgame MCU will do all that much damage to competing movies in its immediate vicinities.

On a more pleasant note, fantastic opening for Cocaine Bear. Between it and Megan, meme movies are proving to be a promising trend. I bet Warner probably wishes they could've made Detective Pikachu today, because the TikTok generation might honestly have been able to prop it up to the infamous billion dollar mark most fans back in 2018/2019 were fantasizing about. Hopefully said studio are taking notes for their own Barbie meme movie.

Yeah, I see Dune 2 100% staying put, and instead taking advantage of IMAX sneaks Halloween weekend before opening in full on the "perfect for it" 1st Nov weekend.

If anything, with the Marvels, Disney might have to be the one to decide if they want to keep the competition they've selected...

heard it said over and over again that no reads actuals, estimates are all that matter;  is Disney not allowed to predict 32.8 million in order to protect its product from negative headlines? 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

3 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

AM3 is extremely flop in China

BP2 already be seen by many Chinese Marvel fans on internet because it’s released too late(The pirate version),AM3 be seen as the mark of ‘return of Marvel’ iconic movie in China only make less than $50m number is insane low,eveybody at least predict ¥500m in China before its release,my prediction is even ¥1000m,now the dream just gone

2 minutes ago, Sophia Jane said:

BP2 already be seen by many Chinese Marvel fans on internet because it’s released too late(The pirate version),AM3 be seen as the mark of ‘return of Marvel’ iconic movie in China only make less than $50m number is insane low,eveybody at least predict ¥500m in China before its release,my prediction is even ¥1000m,now the dream just gone

Any explanation to that? Did the Chinese auds get tired of Marvel or they just simply didn't care about ANT-MAN? What are your predictions for GOTG III?

6 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

Cocaine Bear's opening this weekend is quite encouraging... didn't expect it to open this well. Jesus Revolution did open well but I'd guess decent chunk of Jesus Revolution's audience won't be seeing another movie for rest of the year 

I think they might - its open has the Chosen/Father Stu audience x2, so there are a lot of older women who really just liked a sweet drama and Kelsey Grammar and were not just there for "faith-based" (so they could be there for a few future 2023 movies - not a lot, I grant, but not zero)...

I mean, just look at the West Coast strength...that's unusual for a faith-based movie (now, the lack of northern and mid-Atlantic urban East Coast support is not:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

3 minutes ago, Sophia Jane said:

Well i get its not doing great in China, far from it, but i was talking more about how its doing a lot better than Wakanda Forever, a much bigger film on paper that only released a couple of weeks ago.

People have already explained though the piracy angle.

6 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

heard it said over and over again that no reads actuals, estimates are all that matter;  is Disney not allowed to predict 32.8 million in order to protect its product from negative headlines? 

Disney can predict whatever they want, but the truth is that it’s actuals that matter, not estimates. Nobody over there cares about this fandom war record stuff nor should they really