filmlover

Best Actor Predictions: 2023

Watched Maestro tonight and I can definitely see a scenario where BCoop pulls a sweep at the televised awards. He's pretty terrific in it (as is Mulligan). Don't think he's the best among the contenders I've seen (Giamatti would be my personal pick for best) or that it's quite the performance of his career so far, but let's not pretend the Academy is above rewarding transformative performances in mid movies after Chastain and Fraser's wins (though this is a much better movie than either of their films were) these past two years.

6 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Well, Cillian desperately needs to take Bafta and SAG after this Critics Choice's result, cause now Paul is a clear frontrunner.

Cooper, bye-bye.

Watch SAG give it to Cooper and throw the entire race into chaos.

Though I'm hoping for Giamatti cause 1) he's my favorite performance in this category (still need to see Wright and a few others though and 2) free In-N-Out Burgers for everyone!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Watch SAG give it to Cooper and throw the entire race into chaos.

To be honest, don't believe in this at all. Have nothing against Cooper, but:

1) his oscar-bait is too much oscar-bait

2) i don't see any buzz around him. It's just a dead silence.

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Though I'm hoping for Giamatti cause 1) he's my favorite performance in this category

Just love both perfomances from Paul and Cillian and admire them as actors in general. Will be happy for winner anyway.

Edited by KeepItU25071906

12 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

To be honest, don't believe in this at all. Have nothing against Cooper, but:

1) his oscar-bait is too much oscar-bait

2) i don't see any buzz around him. It's just a dead silence.

Just love both perfomances from Paul and Cillian and admire them as actors in general. Will be happy for winner anyway.

I don't think he's winning at this point either (Maestro clearly has guild support given its nominations to date but probably not enough passion to translate to much in the way of actual wins), it's just fun to entertain the thought that the industry will suddenly pull a surprise on us and shake up the race by going for the most obviously baity performance among the bunch. Golden Globes and Critics Choice voters have little (if any) overlap with Oscar voters so the industry itself throwing their support behind him is his only hope at this point (and I wouldn't bet on it happening unless it does).

11 hours ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Well, Cillian desperately needs to take Bafta and SAG after this Critics Choice's result, cause now Paul is a clear frontrunner.

Cooper, bye-bye.

Could easily see Cillian getting BAFTA and Giamatti getting SAG. I'd lean Giamatti in the end though

I'd put Murphy out in front still. Just expecting Oppenheimer domination.

I'm just tempering my expectations tho because tbh no win would make me happier than seeing Giamatti get it. eternally one of my guys. and actually the best performance of the ones in the running too.

I like the understated-ness of Murphy (and less enthused with RDJ) a lot but I do think Giamatti is great in Holdovers. Murphy does have a ridiculous load to bear for Oppenheimer but yeah, I don't know, depends on whether the Oscar voters are gonna try and spread the wealth where they can this year or just do what happened last year.

I would hope Giamatti and Murphy are gonna get Oscar opportunities in the future but these aren't usually leading men guys, less so Giamatti so this is probably going to forever be their shot for Best Actor specifically. 

Edited by MrPink

I'm more curious as to who is going to claim those two spots behind the Cooper/Giamatti/Murphy trifecta. SAG snubbing Leo while nominating Gladstone and De Niro seems like a sign that he'll be a namecheck nominee at best although he was still nominated as part of Ensemble. Wright and Domingo earned SAG nominations (and the latter is playing a real person, even if he would likely be his film's only nomination) so it's probably going to be any combination of two between those three. Suppose BAFTA could throw Andrew Scott in the ring but All of Us Strangers feels too small at this point and he's not big enough of a name (at least outside the UK) to surpass any of the other folks in stronger movies.

Edited by filmlover

I honestly start thinking if Leo will get crowded out especially in a competitive year. He doesn't have as much as passionate support like other contenders. As for winner, I think Murphy has some advantage here since he play a dramatic role as compared to a more comedy tone for Paul.

Leo feels finished after missing both SAG and BAFTA. It's too quiet a performance for which the passion isn't enough to overcome a crowded field.

NGL I would laugh so hard if Barry Keoghan was nominated. What would be his clip? Since it probably won't be the tub scene due to censors lol.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

NGL I would laugh so hard if Barry Keoghan was nominated. What would be his clip? Since it probably won't be the tub scene due to censors lol.

The grave scene, obviously. 

16 minutes ago, 35MM-18 said:

The grave scene, obviously. 

That also isn't flying with the censors :lol:. I'm guessing it would be this scene:

Also if Leo's not nominated and Killers is up for a bunch of awards still I wonder if he'll uphold his tradition of only showing up for the Oscars whenever he's nominated (he infamously skipped the Titanic ceremony) except for the year after he won to complete his "crown the next Actress winner" duty.