BadOlCatSylvester

April 14th-16th 2023 Weekend Thread | $900K previews for Renfield

7 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Might be another Blade Runner situation though.

I said this in another thread but the original blade runner was a big budget flop. No idea why anyone expected anything different from the sequel.

Indiana has a much better history even with Crystal skull

• Like 1

Mario finished off D&D. It would have held better otherwise. People are looking at Mario as a family movie, but adults have been flocking and choosing it over D&D if they’d missed it after its first week. 

Like I said earlier, more PLF’s and I think D&D does what it needs to do domestically. People don’t want to pay for a rollercoaster ride that plays like It’s A Small World the week after. 

D&D’s date wasn’t great in the end. Sandwiched between two majorly anticipated films. Timing is everything. 

I’m sad for it as I loved the film, and am hopeful it does really well at home. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Drops for D&D are utterly, utterly disheartening for such a solid film.

Prone to say I don't think there's anything that could have been done. For a mass audience the name just has too much stigma and too many negative associations. Of course it has had a renaissance as a game, but trying to play in a mass culture marketplace seems like it's not possible. The 80s and 90s were a brutal time for genre properties in terms of perception and they still have their legacy. It happy with Trek to a degree I think also. 

Video games, comics, superheroes and Star Wars can be mainstream culture; but anything primarily associated with that black hole of 80s and 90s nerd-dom is still toxic to many and will still pull up mental pictures/references to mom's basement/neckbeard/body odour. And D&D is right in the middle of it. It's not fair, not even close to fair. But it's what it is.

I disagree. New gens are totally into nerd and geek culture. D&D really just suffered thanks to its awful release date. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Mario finished off D&D. It would have held better otherwise. People are looking at Mario as a family movie, but adults have been flocking and choosing it over D&D if they’d missed it after its first week. 

Like I said earlier, more PLF’s and I think D&D does what it needs to do domestically. People don’t want to pay for a rollercoaster ride that plays like It’s A Small World the week after. 

D&D’s date wasn’t great in the end. Sandwiched between two majorly anticipated films. Timing is everything. 

Mario is also hurting things like John Wick and Air. Studios probably thought that Mario would only appeal to little kids 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Honestly, I don't feel D&D would have a good box office even without Mario.

It's clear Mario negatively affected the movie (and all other movies), but it's also pretty clear there isn't a lot of interest in D&D movie.

Good reception or critics wouldn't attract people who aren't interested in the movie.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 3

Honestly, the two things that are preventing the flash from becoming the biggest movie of the summer IMO is having to share  PLF's with Elemental opening weekend and the fact that China just doesn't give a shit anymore about American superhero movies, which will also hurt aquaman 2 greatly 

Geek culture is more accessible than nerd culture (DnD) which is still kinda niche.

That's the reason stuff like Avengers and Spider-man can make billions.

Geek culture is nearly synonymous with pop culture with stuff like Game of Thrones blowing up.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, John Marston said:

the return of an iconic  film character (Indiana Jones) where there is no substitute  should be a far bigger deal than the return of a Batman barely in his own movies and whose movies have been largely overshadowed in quality and recognition by the Christopher Nolan films. Most of todays moviegoers (think the ones that got really excited for Tobey returning as Spider-man) grew up with Bale as Batman, not Keaton 

That argument doesn't hold weight since Indy already got his return to the big screen, people weren't jazzed by those results and the marketing this time has exclusively been "Hey everyone Indy is back... again!"

Modern movie goers don't know Keaton's Batman but they know Indiana Jones? Respectfully you can't have it both ways with that counter-point.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

The return of Michael Keaton's Batman (first time since 1992) is a bigger deal than Harrison Ford's re-return to the fedora after the iffy reactions to Indy 4.

I really don’t think Michael Keaton’s return is as big of a deal as people are making out to be in the minds of the public. nor do I think his cameo will translate into box office success

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

That argument doesn't hold weight since Indy already got his return to the big screen, people weren't jazzed by those results and the marketing this time has exclusively been "Hey everyone Indy is back... again!"

Modern movie goers don't know Keaton's Batman but they know Indiana Jones? Respectfully you can't have it both ways with that counter-point.

Yes. There is only one Indiana Jones, Indiana Jones didn’t have a cameo in his own movies, the original Indiana Jones movies hold up far better than the Burton Batman movies (it’s not even close and Batman Returns was flat out hated when it came out) and there haven’t been newer and better versions of Indiana Jones that came out and overshadowed the older ones in quality and recognition. 

Edited by John Marston
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, thedude11 said:

I really don’t think Michael Keaton’s return is as big of a deal as people are making out to be in the minds of the public. nor do I think his cameo will translate into box office success

It’s a total non-factor outside of Gen X. Keaton’s Batman has next to zero sway or legacy with any other gen. And I don’t really see it riling up that demo the way something like a TGM did either. 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Yes. There is only one Indiana Jones, Indiana Jones didn’t have a cameo in his own movies, the original Indiana Jones movies hold up far better than the Burton Batman movies (it’s not even close and Batman Returns was flat out hated when it came out) and there have t been newer and better versions of Indiana Jones that came out and overshadowed the older ones in quality and recognition. 

So people hating Batman Returns (which they did... but it didn't effect Batman Forever - it's direct follow-up - whatsoever commercially) can be used against The Flash but Kingdom of the Crystal Skull being hated can't be used against Indy 5?

Again. You can't have it both ways in your argument. Respectfully your own personal anticipation is clouting your judgment here.

Personally I couldn't care less about either film. All about Elemental this summer. But it's obvious that The Flash has the better marketing hook than Indy 5.

Moving on...

• Like 2