BadOlCatSylvester

April 14th-16th 2023 Weekend Thread | $900K previews for Renfield

I’ve got a soft spot for Forever. 

The production design and Schumacher filming every other shot with a Dutch angle a la the tv series, it’s something alright. It’s colourful and pops.  I’ve always found it fascinating, even if lots of it really isn’t great. 

Carrey’s Edward Nygma is insane in it. He’d have fit right in with the Batman Returns loonies. That little apartment he has - screwed up stuff. 

edward nygma winner GIF

• Like 1

Silly me, I came here thinking there would be some updates on Mario Saturday… I thought I was in the wrong thread at first

getting back to the weekend numbers, did Shazam drop so hard that WB just stopped reporting on its fifth weekend?!?  😅

Edited by VanillaSkies

5 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Silly me, I came here thinking there would be some updates on Mario Saturday… I thought I was in the wrong thread at first

getting back to the weekend numbers, did Shazam drop so hard that WB just stopped reporting on its fifth weekend?!?  😅

At least we weren't discussing Supermsn Returns. :hahaha:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Batman Returns is a miracle. It's gorgeous but disgusting, cynical but sincere, cold but empathetic, sexy but revolting. It's a million contradictory things at once, but it all just works. Pfeiffer gives the best performance in any of these movies. Elfman's score is his masterpiece - the way the Batman, Penguin and Catwoman themes all share the same notes. We've never seen anything like it, and we will never see anything like it again.

It might be a silly thing to say, but the IMDB rating goes up routinely every other year, too. It was like 6.3 back in the day. Now it's 7.1. The more of these movies come out, the more Batman Returns stands out. Also, the huge Superbowl reaction certainly wasn't for 2x Ezra Miller.

• Like 15
  • Astonished 1

18 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So can we get a parking lot report or anything?

Daddy needs his fix.

dave chappelle wiggle GIF

Was very crowded when I saw Air at around 4 PM with my mom. Lotta kids walking around, our tiny auditorium was packed. Things are good I guess.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grey ghost said:

The box office was only considered a disappointment relative to Bstman (89) which was a pop culture phenomenon.

I mean Batman Forever was more successful also but I think BR would make more top 10 DC movie rankings today.

In '89 BATMAN made $184m more than LETHAL WEAPON 2.

In '92 BATMAN RETURNS made $53m less than LETHAL WEAPON 3.

It was the most expensive film of the year and it came in #6th.

Just an all round disappointment.

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Of course they did, but it still grossed 163M DOM in 1992. That's still pretty big. Not sure with inflation what would be now but maybe something close to what The Batman just did maybe? Expectations were insane because Batman did 251M in 1989. Even beat out a very, very well liked Indy movie pretty comfortably that released that same summer. 

Admittedly, if it wasn't quite as weird and a little more like the first, maybe it does 200M DOM. But, it was always going to drop somewhat considerably. Nicholson's Joker was a HUGE hit with Batman. There was an absolute novelty to that movie too. I hear the older box office theorists like Baumer speak to the frenzy and insanity that movie created. It was enorumous. @250M+ in 1989 ticket prices is really, really impressive. That's an insane number of admissions. So, it was always going to disappoint at the box office. 

it fell much harder than WB wanted. That’s why they went with a complete different direction than Forever. And Forever did increase in admissions from Returns 

18 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

3.6 was not an impressive multiplier in '92. It was the 3rd worst multiplier of the Top 20 films that year. Only ALIEN 3 and BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA had worse.

Sure, but it opened huge and opening weekend record breakers rarely have outlier multipliers. It did very well. Not as well as it’s predecessor, but then that was at the time one of the top five or six biggest films of all time if I’m not mistaken. 

38 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

3.6 was not an impressive multiplier in '92. It was the 3rd worst multiplier of the Top 20 films that year. Only ALIEN 3 and BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA had worse.

Three bangers

• Like 5

1 hour ago, VanillaSkies said:

Is it still out?

53 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

In '89 BATMAN made $184m more than LETHAL WEAPON 2.

In '92 BATMAN RETURNS made $53m less than LETHAL WEAPON 3.

It was the most expensive film of the year and it came in #6th.

Just an all round disappointment.

That's because Lethal Weapon 3 made way more overseas than Lethal Weapon 2.

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

At least we weren't discussing Supermsn Returns. :hahaha:

25 minutes ago, screambaby said:

How about  wild wild west? That's the only movie I ever feel asleep during 

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

wild wild west mechanical spider GIF by Supercompressor

Jon Motherfucking Peters

• Like 4

12 hours ago, YM! said:

The Flash. You don’t open two kids movies together so close.

That and it opens in close proximity to TLM, Across and Transformers (which Beasts should also underperform) which all attract kids and are consecutive weeks. Indy 2 weeks later also means Disney will likely focus on that over it.

"kids movie" lmao