kayumanggi

BARBIE | 809.4M overseas | 1445.6M worldwide

17 hours ago, Sophia Jane said:

Barbie’s brand awareness across the global might be almost same as Spider-Man and Batman now. 

Maybe a little bit lower but won’t be low so much,almost the same level.

Barbie is definitely the highest brand awareness IP that never got a live action theatrical movie until now.

Similar to Wonder Woman becoming the biggest superhero origin movie at its time of release despite not having a movie out for 75 years or so of existence. 

pattern-nagy.gif

19 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Barbie is definitely the highest brand awareness IP that never got a live action theatrical movie until now.

Similar to Wonder Woman becoming the biggest superhero origin movie at its time of release despite not having a movie out for 75 years or so of existence. 

pattern-nagy.gif

nope,Mickey Mouse take it.

I hope warner bros keep this off streaming until awards season. It has tremendous potential for late run adding to its BO like Maverick did. At this point 800m OS is in play and Domestic around 650m and so WW gross of 1.45B. But it can go higher depending on late legs and if WB really want to push it as much as possible. 

18 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I hope warner bros keep this off streaming until awards season. It has tremendous potential for late run adding to its BO like Maverick did. At this point 800m OS is in play and Domestic around 650m and so WW gross of 1.45B. But it can go higher depending on late legs and if WB really want to push it as much as possible. 

Zaslav said barbie will be on max this fall. So who knows maybe even as early as october. I have no idea how much barbie can make in imax but without imax 800m os is more likely than 650 m dom. 

Why is the ‘Barbie’ movie bombing in Japanese theaters?

The “Barbie” movie could start a conversation in this country, I thought. Or it might at least inspire my daughter.

When I mentioned the film, my daughter made a face. She had seen a “Barbenheimer” graphic online — an image of Barbie and Ken backed by a mushroom cloud in the distance. Just days before, the nation had observed the 78th anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The joint promotion of the “Barbie” movie and “Oppenheimer,” which has not been released in Japan, was regarded in poor taste and did not go over well here.

Nevertheless, I convinced her to go to the movie, explaining that it had nothing to do with the creator of the atomic bomb. Dressed in pink, we made our way to the theater where there wasn’t a single Barbie poster on display in the lobby. A dubbed version was scheduled for three showings a day, the first at the unlikely and inconvenient hour of 8 a.m.

While a recent Reuters article reported that “fans flocked to the theatrical release,” when we entered the theater at 6 p.m. on a Friday — opening day — for the English-language version, only about 10 other people were in the screening room. American and Canadian friends in Kyoto and Fukuoka also reported seeing the film in nearly empty theaters. Some American friends had no idea that the film was even showing in Japan. I only knew because I did a web search.

Ultimately, the opening day of the “Barbie” movie was a nonevent, at least in rural Japan there was no pink box for photos, no other viewers dressed in pink.

I believe that the movie’s failure to catch on has more to do with that “Barbenheimer” meme. At least one Japanese woman has confided to me that she stayed away for that reason.

But for the most part, it looks as if the “Barbie” movie’s celebration of diversity and the message of female empowerment will be overpowered by its association with the atomic bomb — and that the movie won’t have a positive, lasting impact in Japan. What a shame.

4 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Why is the ‘Barbie’ movie bombing in Japanese theaters?

The “Barbie” movie could start a conversation in this country, I thought. Or it might at least inspire my daughter.

When I mentioned the film, my daughter made a face. She had seen a “Barbenheimer” graphic online — an image of Barbie and Ken backed by a mushroom cloud in the distance. Just days before, the nation had observed the 78th anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The joint promotion of the “Barbie” movie and “Oppenheimer,” which has not been released in Japan, was regarded in poor taste and did not go over well here.

Nevertheless, I convinced her to go to the movie, explaining that it had nothing to do with the creator of the atomic bomb. Dressed in pink, we made our way to the theater where there wasn’t a single Barbie poster on display in the lobby. A dubbed version was scheduled for three showings a day, the first at the unlikely and inconvenient hour of 8 a.m.

While a recent Reuters article reported that “fans flocked to the theatrical release,” when we entered the theater at 6 p.m. on a Friday — opening day — for the English-language version, only about 10 other people were in the screening room. American and Canadian friends in Kyoto and Fukuoka also reported seeing the film in nearly empty theaters. Some American friends had no idea that the film was even showing in Japan. I only knew because I did a web search.

Ultimately, the opening day of the “Barbie” movie was a nonevent, at least in rural Japan there was no pink box for photos, no other viewers dressed in pink.

I believe that the movie’s failure to catch on has more to do with that “Barbenheimer” meme. At least one Japanese woman has confided to me that she stayed away for that reason.

But for the most part, it looks as if the “Barbie” movie’s celebration of diversity and the message of female empowerment will be overpowered by its association with the atomic bomb — and that the movie won’t have a positive, lasting impact in Japan. What a shame.

it's not like everything american has to be a success everywhere or it needs like a social analysis at any cost. Japanese just didn't care (as for a lot of western movies...it's not the first time a big success in the Us it's a no factor in japan or in some asian countries...sometimes even in north america or europe... and comedy in particular it's when this happens more often".

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 2