Eric is Quiet

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 WEEKEND THREAD

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

I never bought under 100M projections for GOTG 3 seriously so 114M (likely going up with actuals) is in line with how movies drop from the previous one.

Good OS though it opened in all big markets so not surprising. I have to say that Luis guy is doing an unsolicited damage control badly. "exploded thanks to great WOM to...under first GOTG OW in China". Please. Just report the number. 

Like 95% of recent Hollywood films have cratered in China. Projections there were sub $20M then jumped to $28M. Pretty sure that’s why he said “exploded”

5 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Spider-Verse move up to May 31st at this point just so they can get to the goldmine faster. Not a fully guaranteed one because of the damage done to the Marvel brand as of late, but still.

Tickets for Spiderverse go on sale tomorrow, so, little chance of a change at this point.

On a related note, it looks like Love Again places 8th worst for opening weekend for a saturated release (2500 theatres or more). 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/chart/worst_release_opening/?by_release_scale=saturated

Looking over that list, I've seen two of those in theatres (Copshop, Life Itself), and I'm not sure what that says about me.

As for Chopra, at this stage, she's been around Hollywood for almost a decade without doing anything notable. Citadel seems to be the biggest thing, but, over priced series on one of the secondary streaming services isn't much of a stepping stone to anything.

Hollywood is a tough place to navigate for a 40 year old actress, and there's little I've seen in her ability to manage that.

The Batman dropped 21% on SUN with a lower SAT jump than Guardians 3 

Seems like Disney is projecting  a very Big 31-32% drop on SUN but i think it will be around The Batman or even slightly better 

Expecting +118M OW and +290M WW with actuals. 700M seems locked, 750M very likely with a possibility at +800M, let’s see next weekend.

Overall disappointing, but in context of how bad it was looking like, WOM really saved this from embarrassment

• Like 5

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Looking at the WW all-time a chart it’s still incredible to me that Aquaman did $800 million+ internationally.  

It did amazing in China and the movie was very fun and entertaining. Great time at the movies for families during the holidays. I can see the second Aquaman doing $600M OS. 

11 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I'm surprised they haven't announced a new SPIDER-MAN film.

Sony is hampered both by working around Holland's availability ( who seems keen to be taking a step back) and negotiating with Marvel Studios if they want their help in production, while they are making efforts to scale back their production.

Sony could try and go on their own now that the character doesn't need it's connective tissues to the MCU, but, do they trust their own capacity on this?

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Looking at the WW all-time a chart it’s still incredible to me that Aquaman did $800 million+ internationally.  

X-Mas boosts movies like crazy overseas.

Would bet even a crappy film like thor 4 would have passed a billion WW given a x-mas realease.

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The Batman dropped 21% on SUN with a lower SAT jump than Guardians 3 

Seems like Disney is projecting  a very Big 31-32% drop on SUN but i think it will be around The Batman or even slightly better 

Expecting +118M OW and +290M WW with actuals. 700M seems locked, 750M very likely with a possibility at +800M, let’s see next weekend.

Overall disappointing, but in context of how bad it was looking like, WOM really saved this from embarrassment

agree. Although always nice to see the quality of the film be the reason for an uptick in people coming out. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Like 95% of recent Hollywood films have cratered in China. Projections there were sub $20M then jumped to $28M. Pretty sure that’s why he said “exploded”

yes but he didn't handle it well cause he posted the numbers of the other GOTG movies without explaining that boxoffice is cratering in China. I know that it's a good opening all things considered but not when pit against other numbers. He tried too many things at the same time in that tweet. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Isn't 52 markets a low number for GOTG III? 

52 including all the big ones. Yes, it is low from that POV but I guess the real story is the hold over the weekend not the number itself. So that's encouraging. 

4 minutes ago, vafrow said:

Sony is hampered both by working around Holland's availability ( who seems keen to be taking a step back) and negotiating with Marvel Studios if they want their help in production, while they are making efforts to scale back their production.

Sony could try and go on their own now that the character doesn't need it's connective tissues to the MCU, but, do they trust their own capacity on this?

They have an untitled Marvel film for July 12th next year. For that to make the date, they need to start shooting soon. The thing is, I don't think any of the previously announced Sony-Marvel titles are actually seeing some movement production-wise.