Eric the IF

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3 WEEKEND THREAD

After seeing the movie [which btw is perfect] i don´t think this would get +90% not even during Phase 3

Someone said before the movie came out that they was feeling some IW vibes from it, and yeah that´s pretty much it 

It is a movie made by design for the fans, it demands a strong emotional connection with the trilogy to really works ... it is technically very well made, even it´s indulgencies have thematic cohesion [like putting 30 minutes of flashbacks knowing that will mess the flow because developing Rocket is more important than polished structure ... this is such a human approach that just represents the whole movie, despite being a technical flaw] ... but for someone that doesn´t have such attachment for this characters, i can see a lot of decisions being annoying even if for me personally they were brilliant 

And honestly it´s fine, i have a theory that sometimes a movie not having a super stellar consensus is actually a great thing, it can piss some people but it also can please some people even more , which seems to be the case here

• Like 10

300m+ grossers in Summer season (May-August) by year

2022 -- 5

2021 -- 0

2020 -- 0

2019 - 4

2018 -- 3

2017 -- 3 (interestingly, all were CBMs that year)

2016 -- 4

2015 -- 4

2014 -- 1

2013 -- 2

2012 -- 2 

2011 -- 2

2010 -- 3

2009 -- 2

2008 -- 3

2007 -- 4

2006 -- 1

2005 -- 1

2004 -- 2

2003 -- 2

2002 -- 2

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Again, please show me the data about these CBM sequels just breezing past 2.6x multis outside of holidays. Hardly irrational to be very skeptical if can do much more, especially when it’s gonna get buried starting Memorial Day. Busiest June ever for tentpoles. 

Dude the more you spam this comment the more ridiculous you’re gonna look when it breezes past 2.6…

Think about how films are actually performing! Don’t just mindlessly go “muh avg history!”

Edited by Favorite Fearless Legion
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

I’m not expecting any 500M grosser for summer but i’m considering 3 potential +400M grossers 

Spidey can get there, Indy can get there and Barbie can get there 

Had us in the first two-thirds not gonna lie 

• Like 2

WEEKEND ACTUALS

118.41M | GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY III

18.55M | THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE

5.88M | EVIL DEAD RISE

3.25M | AYTG, IT'S ME, MARGARET

2.38M | LOVE AGAIN

2.35M | JOHN WICK IV

1.46M | D&D: HONOR AMONG THIEVES

1.39M | AIR

1.24M | THE COVENANT

1.11M | SISU

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

WEEKEND ACTUALS

118.41M | GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY III

18.55M | THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE

5.88M | EVIL DEAD RISE

3.25M | AYTG, IT'S ME, MARGARET

2.38M | LOVE AGAIN

2.35M | JOHN WICK IV

1.46M | D&D: HONOR AMONG THIEVES

1.39M | AIR

1.24M | THE COVENANT

1.11M | SISU

Man, Evil Dead Rise is about to surpass the lifetime unadjusted Domestic gross of Evil Dead 2013 today then. That's a wild success story right there. Can't wait for it to surpass the adjusted gross (61 million) too.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Why did Mario have a big drop this weekend? Was it from losing PLF screens?

Losing plf might account for 10% difference. Really it's mostly marvel films being competition targeting families.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

After seeing the movie [which btw is perfect] i don´t think this would get +90% not even during Phase 3

Someone said before the movie came out that they was feeling some IW vibes from it, and yeah that´s pretty much it 

It is a movie made by design for the fans, it demands a strong emotional connection with the trilogy to really works ... it is technically very well made, even it´s indulgencies have thematic cohesion [like putting 30 minutes of flashbacks knowing that will mess the flow because developing Rocket is more important than polished structure ... this is such a human approach that just represents the whole movie, despite being a technical flaw] ... but for someone that doesn´t have such attachment for this characters, i can see a lot of decisions being annoying even if for me personally they were brilliant 

And honestly it´s fine, i have a theory that sometimes a movie not having a super stellar consensus is actually a great thing, it can piss some people but it also can please some people even more , which seems to be the case here

Yup. It's why my favorite Marvel Studios stuff is Iron Man 3, Cap 1, Guardians 2 & 3... Heck, I have a special place for Avengers 2 too. Well received but not by all. Didn't get that universal acclaim like Endgame and many others because they're very distinct and made with a vision that simply won't please all.

But, when I see watched them, I thought...

But-to-me-you-are-perfect GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, poweranimals said:

Why did Mario have a big drop this weekend? Was it from losing PLF screens?

Because for the first time in its run it had competition. Legit competition. Would've made insane money regardless but probably closer to 500M DOM than 600M DOM if had any legit competition the first four or five weeks of it's run. Biggest movie during it's run to open is an Evil Dead movie that is doing great but doesn't play to audience remotely and opened to 25M+ as it's OW DOM.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1