AND

giphy.gif

GET

drax-invisible.gif

YOUR

rocket-racoon-groot.gif

LOVE

FickleWeightyHorsechestnutleafminer-size

Isn't it crazy to think 2014 was nine years ago? It felt like only yesterday we were panicking over a potential pandemic and were trying to argue with the pigs that Black Lives Matter, pro-democracy protests were happening in Hong Kong, and Russia was seizing Ukraine....onnnnnnnnnly yesterday. And in 2014, Marvel was having a massive banner year. One that's kind of insane even now to think about. Andrew Garfield was playing Spider-Man in a shared universe that was totally going to happen, X-Men was saved forever with Days of Future Past, The Winter Soldier gave us too many Stucky fanfics to count, Big Hero 6 combined Disney magic with Marvel goodness. But craziest of all, the biggest Marvel movie of that year wasn't any of the heavy-hitters. Rather, it was a superhero team that most people never even heard of before going into seeing the film.

Guardians of the Galaxy frankly felt like a breath of fresh air. James Gunn's cynical, sardonic edge led to a film with wacky characters, fun cosmic visuals, witty comedy, and an epic 80s soundtrack right in the middle. It was unlike anything else for the genre, while also reminiscent of films we loved from before. And people quickly took notice. Sure enough, the weirdo film with a talking tree and raccoon opened to major box office numbers and sexy legs, with even non-Marvel fans getting on board with the funky jams and wild rhythms. And almost overnight, Guardians of the Galaxy went from this weird, niche property only Marvel superfans recognized to one of the pillar properties in Marvel's portfolio. One of their top 10, arguably top 5 brands.

This would of course continue with the massive success of Volume 2, numerous appearences in other Marvel media, and major roles in the newest Avengers and Thor adventures. By this point, you can't go anywhere without seeing Chris Pratt in your face. Whether that's a good thing or not is up to you. And now we're at the point where we have to say goodbye...even though movie franchises never actually get to say goodbye ever because of nostalgia.

Yep, after James Gunn lost his job, then got it back, and a whole pandemic happened, we are finally getting our third proper Guardians of the Galaxy movie, a mere seven years since the last one, because we are old. Of course, now that superhero fatigue is upon us and people have grown exhausted by this genre being in our face 24/7 and Phase 4/5 being a neverending onslaught of content for content's sake, the excitement is quite muted for this film. But this should still be a fun weekend and we need to set some rules in advance, since I know some of you won't help yourself.

1. ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS. NOT EVEN SPOILERS POSTED UNDER SPOILER TAGS.

This rule also applies to other movies in theaters and films/shows recently released on streaming. So no Mario spoilers, no Evil Dead Rise spoilers, no Succession spoilers, no Peter Pan and Wendy spoilers, etc. If you do spoil something here, you will be banned. No exceptions.

We do have a spoiler thread for Guardians 3 right here for you to go nuts in.

2. GOOD VIBES!

Big weekends like these are supposed to be fun. So don’t be a party pooper and ruin things for everybody. You don't have to fight others who are negative on Marvel movies. You don't have to fight others who are ultra positive on Marvel movies. It's all just silly fun, so don't make it something it's not.

3. THE REPORT AND IGNORE BUTTONS ARE YOUR FRIENDS.

4. IS OFF-TOPIC DISCUSSION OKAY?

Off-topic discussions are okay in situations where there's downtime and there aren't any numbers, so long as they don’t get heated. But when numbers are coming up and things are getting busy, then keep off-topic things down to the minimum.

And lastly...

5. DON'T BE A DICK.

So now...

WITHOUT FURTHER ADO

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

vomit-baby-groot-6krng4t7fsmunke5.gif

LET'S DO THIS SHIT

photofunky.gif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, GOGODanca said:

A+ Cinemascore incoming

125m OW with 400m DOM finish 

3.2x legs is a very big ask for MCU brand nowadays, Not even SC and NWH can go that high with empty schedule.  I think a more realistic goal is the first MCU movie that avoid 60% 2nd weekend drop since SC. I am thinking 335m finish.

122/347

750 mill WW

A Cinemascore

Will see it again tomorrow. What a great movie. Finally. After all this Phaze 4 crap(not NWH though) and AntMan, James Gunn takes Marvel back to glory days where you went to see it 3+ times on OW

• Like 2

I think the fact GOTG V3 has been well received bodes well for WB and DC for the upcoming DCU.

I know some people on here have been doom mongering about Disney's 2023 slate but I think they'll have a decent summer, I'm extremely bullish about both The Little Mermaid, Elemental and Indiana Jones although not so much on Haunted Mansion.

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think the fact GOTG V3 has been well received bodes well for WB and DC for the upcoming DCU.

I know some people on here have been doom mongering about Disney's 2023 slate but I think they'll have a decent summer, I'm extremely bullish about both The Little Mermaid, Elemental and Indiana Jones although not so much on Haunted Mansion.

The Haunted Mansion trailer seemed way too dark for Disney, and released way too early to get a "Halloween" effect.  That said, maybe that's exactly what folks want and it will be my one surprise this summer...stranger things have happened...

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The Haunted Mansion trailer seemed way too dark for Disney, and released way too early to get a "Halloween" effect.  That said, maybe that's exactly what folks want and it will be my one surprise this summer...stranger things have happened...

It’s also PG-13 so it’s not going for Kids. It’s clearly targeting the stranger things kind of crowd. 

Kind of excited, a MCU's film's global run has not been this intriguing for quite some time. 

On one hand, you have fantastic audience reactions globally, but can it buck the seemingly inevitable downward trend for the franchise? 

WOM on this level can typically do wonders, but the interconnected nature of MCU might mean once the perception on the entire thing goes south, it is harder for an individual outstanding product to break through. Shared Universe which was once an advantage becomes a disadvantage and drags down the ceiling of what could be otherwise a great run. 

Guess we'll see what happens.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2

115/300 for GOTG. Even with good WOM it’s going to be a bloodbath starting May 19th and don’t seem like people are that interested in seeing the film. WF did great in theaters but exploded on Disney+. Think the same thing will happen to GOTG 3 once it hits streaming. Sadly it’s definitely paying for the sins of Eternal, MOM, Thor4 and Ant man.

Edited by PrinceRico
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm with you on TLM and IJ5 but not elementals, I think chapek damage will take years to reverse

10 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

GotG 3 is going to have a boring 18m preview number and 120m OW which is what everyone has been expecting since pre sales data became available. I am MUCH more curious about the overseas numbers. It seems to be a mixed bag so far.

Overseas numbers are not looking great, but it does seem to be coming in a little higher than predicted.

Overseas audience scores especially in Korea and Japan are fantastic, OW won't be anything special and will be alittle bit juiced up cause it opened on wednesday in some key markets and will benefit from holidays in the first two countries but legs should be stellar

• Like 1