Eric S'ennui

THE LITTLE MERMAID WEEKEND THREAD

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

TBH, the symptoms were already there in the 2010s: an over-reliance on sequels, and the original films save Inside Out lacking the innovation and creative genius of the 2000s films.

Coco was legit too. It might be their best film even.

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Weird with Pixar that their last 3 films that were pretty well received (Soul, Luca, Turning Red) all went to straight to Disney+ free of charge with subscription with no theatrical exhibition whatsoever. I think if released now, Luca would do very well. Very good summer vibe film. I still can't believe that didn't get a theatrical release but Jungle Cruise the $30 to rent thing and releases in theaters and grossed comfortably over 100M+ DOM. Just ridiculous.

• Like 6

@MovieMan89 I mentioned it a bit yesterday, but I think the male / female split is more impactful than the racial demographics. That 60%+ for both Mario and FastX was flipped with Mermaid and lets face it the male demographic is still the largest paying demo for theaters (across all races). That 68-32 split is a significant amount of $$ left on the table. Racism and altright issues aside. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

@MovieMan89 I mentioned it a bit yesterday, but I think the male / female split is more impactful than the racial demographics. That 60%+ for both Mario and FastX was flipped with Mermaid and lets face it the male demographic is still the largest paying demo for theaters (across all races). That 68-32 split is a significant amount of $$ left on the table. Racism and altright issues aside. 

It is surprising that people are not seeing that as the biggest problem to be honest. Barbie is going to have the same problem 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PenguinHyphy said:

It is surprising that people are not seeing that as the biggest problem to be honest. Barbie is going to have the same problem 

I think Barbie could be a mini Twilight. The movie is so big on social media, it can't miss at the BO

48 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

So apparently the new "series high" was 2.7 million viewers (linear HBO and Max) but only on Sunday night. Even with a finale spike, probably not a huge deterrent to the box office, especially considering TLM's appeal. Overall, Succession S4 is averaging 8.4 million per episode across platforms but that takes delayed viewing into account. For comparison, The Last of Us finale got 8.2 million same-day viewers and was averaging 30.4 million viewers across platforms. Succession is like Mad Men in hugely appealing to coastal media types who write about TV and magnify the show's pop culture footprint far beyond its popularity.

And yeah, US broadcast ratings for primetime shows have utterly tanked since 2009, it's truly shocking to look at the numbers now.

Quite popular with the twitterati in the U.K. as well but fails to hit the top 50 weekly shows. Tbf that means sub 2.5M and I suspect it gets around 800k thinking of historically similar shows but still - context is everything.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Coco was legit too. It might be their best film even.

Coco would be viewed majority consensus as their best film if it came out during their “golden age” era imo. It is definitely the pinnacle of everything they learned and built over two decades leading up to that. 

25 minutes ago, CaptNathanBrittles said:

The last Pixar movie released before Lasseter got fired.

Yes. But in the 2020s Soul, Luca and Turning Red have been good too. Just none were released theatrically. All would've done better than Lightyear and Elemental for sure. Especially Luca if it was June release.

38 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Oh, yeah. I like WALL-E, Ratatouille, Incredibles, Up and Coco most. Toy Story 3 is right there too. I was replying to post about their original films in the 2010s. Coco and Inside Out are the standouts.

Excellent taste. These are their S tier (and I’d maybe throw TS2 in too). 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Ryan gosling has a fairly large male fanbase, something that the cw dude playing prince eric didn’t. Whether that fanbase will support barbie, or is just another scott pilgrim internet bubble thing, remains to be seen.

Margot Robbie’s also obscenely hot and has been in a lot of male-skewing films (twows and ouatih especially), which helps. It also has film fan street cred with gerwig, whereas rob marshall is an AI that gained sentience to make movies. Don’t think they’re super comparable movies imo

24 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I think Barbie could be a mini Twilight. The movie is so big on social media, it can't miss at the BO

Yet, projects big on Twitter are unable to replicate that in reality all of the time. It is not going to bomb, but it is not going to be the massive blockbusters you people are expecting either 

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Ryan gosling has a fairly large male fanbase, something that the cw dude playing prince eric didn’t. Whether that fanbase will support barbie, or is just another scott pilgrim internet bubble thing, remains to be seen.

Margot Robbie’s also obscenely hot and has been in a lot of male-skewing films (twows and ouatih especially), which helps. It also has film fan street cred with gerwig, whereas rob marshall is an AI that gained sentience to make movies. Don’t think they’re super comparable movies imo

The Nice Guys, Blade Runner: 2049 and First Man all say otherwise. His fanbase is very much an internet one, which also applies to Margot Robbie     

• Like 4

I really want Barrie to be a hit but unlike it’s main character I don’t see it having the legs. It certainly won’t open big. Would love to be surprised but the marketing so far is perfect “we have no idea how to market this thing”.

2 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

The Nice Guys, Blade Runner: 2049 and First Man all say otherwise. His fanbase is very much an internet one, which also applies to Margot Robbie     

Yeah, i just think gosling’s profile’s increased a lot recently. Maybe it’s an online only thing, but I disagree that Barbie will have anywhere near the male/female split issue that Mermaid has. Having guys like Cena, Farrell, etc; will help too