CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

1 minute ago, The Dark Alfred said:

I actually agree with D'Onofrio, he just picked the wrong movie to defend. There is no way to spin that other than a massive flop, especially that the quality of the product is clearly suspect.

So you’d be fine if it was MI7? LMAO. That’s not how this works.

JUCH0mJ.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Guardians 3 is going to Disney+ after 90 days, so the theatrical window is never going to be what it once was. All films will eventually come to streaming after three months. Welcome to the new and ongoing normal.

I mean, they are certainly making money out of it. So it’s not like I pity them. If anything, I’m hyped for my fourth viewing.

13 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

What is this $650m+ film consists of? Hopes and dreams? Because the last I checked MI7 didn’t make that. MI7 will struggle to make profit from its box office alone, and might not even be able to do that.

And guess what? It’s ok. No one releases a film north to $300m budget (ballooned by covid and all) without expecting a lot more than what Indy and MI7 are making. Both Disney and Paramount want more than what they are getting. Films like MI7 and Indy don’t die once they go out of the movie theaters. They aren’t little indies that could. I can guarantee you that they will be fine and eventually turn profit.

come on man, what do you think MI's going to make here? at worst it will go into the low 600s...

the point is that you're ridiculous trying to lump these two films together...even on a normal non-covid inflated budget indy still flops...not just that, indy doesn't even have strong reception going for it, neither cinemascore nor posttrak metrics are good...MI7 did great on both...

you can live in your world of delusion where indy will suddenly be a hugely in-demand film on streaming if you want, I honestly give up lol. it's like talking to a wall.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Guardians 3 is going to Disney+ after 90 days, so the theatrical window is never going to be what it once was. All films will eventually come to streaming after three months. Welcome to the new and ongoing normal.

agree it’s the new normal, but it’ll soon be the lame money pit.  
They’ll only throw this money away for so long. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

come on man, what do you think MI's going to make here? at worst it will go into the low 600s...

the point is that you're ridiculous trying to lump these two films together...even on a normal non-covid inflated budget indy still flops...not just that, indy doesn't even have strong reception going for it, neither cinemascore nor posttrak metrics are good...MI7 did great on both...

you can live in your world of delusion where indy will suddenly be a hugely in-demand film on streaming if you want, I honestly give up lol. it's like talking to a wall.

Constantly attacking me doesn’t make you right. Constantly making remarks about me tells more about you than myself.

And I’m sorry, I think I wasn’t clear enough: the budget for MI7 is supposedly $295m and like the best and most well informed of us would be able to tell you, this is usually guesswork and not really official numbers. This rule applies to both Indy and MI7, btw. If the budget to MI7 is anywhere close to $295m like it was originally reported about Indy as well, it isn’t making its money back at the movie theaters.

Never mind that the cut clearly isn’t coming from Domestic where studios get a bigger cut, it’s just not getting there. And I wouldn’t be so certain of "crossing $600m WW" talk either. 

• Like 1

3 months is more than fair 

I get complaining about movies coming to streaming a month after, but 3 months? Some of you are acting like EmpireCity 

Most people can’t keep going to theaters to rewatch things, most movies aren’t even screening in most places after that much, there’s no point in keeping the movie away from streaming 

It’s not like 90% of movies didn’t gross almost their full runs in 6-8 weeks anyway

• Like 7

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

If you believe that, I have an igloo in Arizona to sell you. 

Everyone keeps saying "streaming can't last," and yet, the studios keep releasing everything on streaming after 90 days or sooner. Meanwhile, people who aren't always online are getting used to this. They can't change it because people won't protest by going to theaters. They'll protest by waiting longer!

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

What money? It’s doing 2M weekly 

This is virtually nothing for a 250M movie, the run is over, they should move on and they did

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

3 months is more than fair 

I get complaining about movies coming to streaming a month after, but 3 months? Some of you are acting like EmpireCity 

Most people can’t keep going to theaters to rewatch things, most movies aren’t even screening in most places after that much, there’s no point in keeping the movie away from streaming 

It’s not like 90% of movies didn’t gross almost their full runs in 6-8 weeks anyway

It’s the new normal thanks to COVID yes but people would be naive if they thought that we weren’t heading to this anyway. Hell, I’m not even sure if three months wasn’t the normal before COVID either.

Three months is definitely good enough, I agree with @wildphantomthat I’d like to buy my Marvel Studios and Star Wars films, but like Thomas can attest, we literally cannot buy physical or digital Marvel Studios and Star Wars films. It’s been like this since Avengers: Endgame. Black Widow forward films never got to be available to purchase here in Brazil, which is mind boggling but I bet the strategy here is to grow the consumer fidelity with their streaming platform.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

Vincent D’Onofrio has waived in:

It’s very much from an actor standpoint, but I’d also argue that regardless how romanticized his view as an actor might be, thinking these films will just drop dead and not make any profit to Disney once it leaves the theaters is incredibly myopic. 

Films like Indy and MI7 even when they disappoint at the box office, still find a way to become profitable in the long run. From PVOD to TV film rights, never mind that it goes to their streaming platform’s portfolio.

More and more actors and writers are going to start chiming in about the obsession with budgets. They're going after the executives now, but media journalists are next.

• Heart 1

Just now, MysteryMovieMogul said:

More and more actors and writers are going to start chiming in about the obsession with budgets. They're going after the executives now, but media journalists are next.

I find it beautiful to see, actually. I want all of them doing this.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

So you’d be fine if it was MI7? LMAO. That’s not how this works.

JUCH0mJ.gif

I'll be honest, it doesn't seem like Barbie actually helped Oppenheimer here. It's already a Nolan film, it has a great ensemble cast, and the trailers look good for the kind of movie it is.

I remember when Straight Outta Compton released a week after MI:5 and opened to like $60m compared to MI:7's $55m and finally ended up $30m short of MI5 

MI movies have never been about huge openings. But they play and play even with strong headwinds

Edited by Algebra

7 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I'll be honest, it doesn't seem like Barbie actually helped Oppenheimer here. It's already a Nolan film, it has a great ensemble cast, and the trailers look good for the kind of movie it is.

49M is way lower than what actual tracking is suggesting. Oppy will open way above that number for sure.

For comparison:

Vol. 2’s US theatrical release was May 5, 2017. It was released digitally August 8, 2017, with the Blu-Ray available August 22, 2017. 

https://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/movies/7053/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2#:~:text=Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 DVD and Blu-ray,iTunes on August 8%2C 2017.

So yeah, the new normal is back to the old normal. At least for big blockbusters. 

9 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Constantly attacking me doesn’t make you right. Constantly making remarks about me tells more about you than myself.

And I’m sorry, I think I wasn’t clear enough: the budget for MI7 is supposedly $295m and like the best and most well informed of us would be able to tell you, this is usually guesswork and not really official numbers. This rule applies to both Indy and MI7, btw. If the budget to MI7 is anywhere close to $295m like it was originally reported about Indy as well, it isn’t making its money back at the movie theaters.

Never mind that the cut clearly isn’t coming from Domestic where studios get a bigger cut, it’s just not getting there. And I wouldn’t be so certain of "crossing $600m WW" talk either. 

$600M is locked. At worse it does $450m os + $180m dom 

12 minutes ago, Algebra said:

I remember when Straight Outta Compton released a week after MI:5 and opened to like $60m compared to MI:7's $55m and finally ended up $30m short of MI5 

MI movies have never been about huge openings. But they play and play even with strong headwinds

You’re comparing a $60M opener to a potential $200m opening in Barbenheimer. Also Oppenheimer is going to take PLFs which will undoubtedly hurt.

Those aren’t comparable situations. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

$600M is locked. At worse it does $450m os + $180m dom 

I’ve been around long enough to not call this a lock in normal circumstances, let alone with Barbie and Oppenheimer premiering this week. Even if it crosses the $600m threshold, I’d argue that it isn’t the magic number for a film that cost reportedly $295m. It’s better than Indy, sure, but it doesn’t mean that it’s turning a profit from its box office run either.