CJohn

TOM CRUISE LOVES HIS POPCORN. MOVIES. POPCORN: THE WEEKEND THREAD | We are just waiting for Barbenheimer here

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

There was the Kraken movie - it opened in 3,000+ theaters.  Few cared.

Well, your movie has to have pedigree to get picked for swim teams, summer camps, and birthday parties b/c for the 1st 2, they help sell the camp's field trip.  It's almost always a sequel or Pixar/Disney for the choice...known quantities...

• Like 1

I've said this before but I think Thomas Newman's score is an unsung hero for the movie, he really knows how to sell those good vibes. That is also something that the marketing didn't advertise at all.

Edited by AniNate

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I've said this before but I think Thomas Newman's score is an unsung hero for the movie, he really knows how to sell those good vibes. That is also something that the marketing didn't advertise at all.

Well Elemental's score is amazing yes.

I don't know if there any bombastic moments in it that can really sell it. There was a Lion King commercial released later on in 1994 that used Hans Zimmer's music, for instance.

Edited by cannastop

T Newman doesn't really do bombastic so much but his style just taps into certain brainwaves that give a dopamine boost imo.

I do think the 4th and 6th cues on the soundtrack could've worked for advertising

Edited by AniNate

17 hours ago, Unfitclock said:

@titanic2187 yea but mission impossible jumped 46% on Saturday so the Sunday drop isn’t too bad when you compare it to fallout or the other films which jumped less than 20% on their first Saturday 

Yeah right but you can rule out the fact that Friday has the less rush factor given than standard Friday opener because some demand was burn off between Tuesday-thursday, deflating the Friday gross itself, thereby making Sat bump appear bigger than usual. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, across the Jat verse said:

I think reported numbers are bit high for MI7. Unreported locs nos. are usually high.

I would estimate daily nos as

16.2 // 75.9

Assuming this doesn’t include the $2.5 million from early sneaks? Or is it a coincidence that adding those in gets to the official $78.4 million five-day?

19 hours ago, FunkMiller said:

There's very little that's come out of a high enough standard to convince me that I can't just wait 60 days for it. I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way, given recent box office returns.

The recent box office returns you speak of are literally because of the mentality that you will get it for free on streaming.

Companies changed consumer habits purposefully with the introduction of streaming service-friendly short theatrical windows. Not even just crippling the physical media and PVOD businesses, but also decreasing theatrical revenue (numerous films had their runs shortened because of this). They are doing it under the usual assumption that it's more profitable for themselves. While I doubt it's not making them money, it's a hurtful model for literally every cogwheel involved.

Now, if you feel happy that you're getting movies at home sooner than you used to, good for you, and I can't blame you for having different consuming habits, but I hope you're not one of the people lamenting the theatrical model's decline, then.

Edited by MCKillswitch123