katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

People moved beyond the dystopian YA craze a solid decade ago, and it feels less popular since the pandemic especially. Not to mention people were already kind of over it with this franchise by the time the grand finale hit. This has nothing whatsoever going for it. If can be a WOM sleeper if people end up raving about it, but even then I don’t expect over 125 or so bc the OW will be dismal imo. 

You're forgetting there's a book out there. I don't follow these sorts of things, but is the book popular? If it is, then yes, this will make money. 

I don't care if  The Marvels bombs. The whole MCU needs a reset of some kind.  This is the point in the discussion where a lot of people still say "but the numbers are fine! they are still good!"  Not really..    GOTG Vol. 3 made a lot of money.  Why? Because it was the MCU of old.  It was a more personal movie with smaller stakes (for the world, not the team) and that resonated with people.  They've had way more misses than hits recently including the TV series.   

Secret Invasion was an embarrassment.  

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Insidious has been having some excellent holds for a movie which got terrible audience reception by every metric. Looks like it should become highest grossing horror of the year until Nun II comes out.

I think it's one of the more impressive runs of the season. No way anybody thought this would get anything close to 90 million.

34 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I swear there was zero marketing for this movie, but I am told otherwise…

I’ve also decided Disney did this release date to cater to D+ for Halloween season when they should have been catering to theaters for Halloween. Once again, streaming first bites them 

They should have gone premiere access to loose less money because this movie releasing or not makes no difference, shouod have written a tax credit. 

15 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Avatar 2 underperformed, it did not pass Avatar 2009.

You see how ridiculous that sounds lmao 

It does not sound ridiculous, stop projecting, because they really did, underperform, Underperform means is below what was expected, Avatar 2 People were expecting 3 billion, even me i think, and with inflation and more PLFs should have easily pass the first Avatar, it did not. doesnt mean bad neccessarily, understand what words mean in context. Remmember there is a more than 10 year difference between Avatar 1 and 2 release.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

11 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I don't get the running joke here

Neither do I and I think Eric should have warning points given to him for that post. I don't know what the post means so it's offensive to me. Two points to eric. Watch it buddy cancel that kind of attitude or I'll cancel you

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 2

1 minute ago, Day and Date The Best said:

It does not sound ridiculous, stop projecting, because they really did, underperform, Underperform means is below what was expected, Avatar 2 People were expecting 3 billion, even me i think, and with inflation and more PLFs should have easily pass the first Avatar, it did not. doesnt mean bad neccessarily, understand what words mean in context. Remmember there is a more than 10 year difference between Avatar 1 and 2 release.

Expectations from who? The members of this site? Why would anybody think Avatar 2 would do 3 billion dollars LMFAO. We're just coming out of a pandemic and movie going levels are not nearly what they used to be. I will talk to did not underperform. You can't say a film that does 2 billion dollars is underperforming.

3 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

Lmao delusional 

Just now, baumer said:

Expectations from who? The members of this site? Why would anybody think Avatar 2 would do 3 billion dollars LMFAO. We're just coming out of a pandemic and movie going levels are not nearly what they used to be. I will talk to did not underperform. You can't say a film that does 2 billion dollars is underperforming.

It did well but it did Underperfom for the Caliber that is expected from record breaker James Cameron, and Pandemic affecting things fall under Underperformance.