katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

15 hours ago, Sophia Jane said:

Need China give the insane boost then it will work,even TDK rise,Nolan is very popular and this movie is about fighting against Empire of Japan,so maybe it will.

South Korea's presales have seen a nice uptick today, I wonder if the outrage in Japan has helped. I know lots of Koreans were angry that Japanese people were "playing the victim", so maybe the whole saga ended up increasing awareness for Oppenheimer lol

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

South Korea's presales have seen a nice uptick today, I wonder if the outrage in Japan has helped. I know lots of Koreans were angry that Japanese people were "playing the victim", so maybe the whole saga ended up increasing awareness for Oppenheimer lol

Nolan is very popular in China and SK,and the movie is good and have really great run other place,so yes,don’t worry about these two places box office

2 hours ago, FunkMiller said:

The particularly enjoyable thing about the backlash from the insecurity patrol over Barbie is that it’s a good film. They don’t get to scurry back into their safe zone, where they can take apart the kind of lazy crap that Disney has been pumping out with these kinds of messages.

They know it’s a good film. Everybody knows it’s a good film. And you can see their little heads just explode into smithereens that they can’t scream go “woke and go broke!”. Lovely.

You give them too much credit if you think "Barbie being good movie" is the reason. The real reason is because the movie is really popular.

The insecurity patrol are bullies. So, they are not going to mess a lot with very popular and beloved movies. On the other hand, if the movie is divisive or poorly received, they will never stop with their "critiques". 

Edited by Kon

12 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Even that’s a very optimistic way to see it. AM3 was nearly a 30+ film franchise low, Elemental is not breaking even from box office that’s for sure, Indy joins their John Carter/Mars Needs Moms/Lone Ranger special Disney only club of biggest money losers ever, and yeah THM massive flop too. GotG3 saved by the WOM, so even that could have been disastrous for them. TLM only saved by DOM, so once again, could have been a disaster for them. An absolutely horrific year for them really. No one would have thought this was remotely possible pre pandemic. 

Elemental will likely break even from its BO run. It’s hitting 400m WW today or tomorrow, and still has at least another 50-60m to go. 

6 minutes ago, harry713 said:

Elemental will likely break even from its BO run. It’s hitting 400m WW today or tomorrow, and still has at least another 50-60m to go. 

Honestly, it's at least $100 million. More than $50 million. There's Japan still left. And lots of demand left in Korea and Europe.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Reality said:

I agree the movie it's not woke cause simple woke movies doesn't exist.

Saying that for people believing woke movies are a thing this movie has everything to be called like that (i would say this is why has been called like that?). The fact the definition of woke is only about main characters race it's just your opinion, of course the woke conversation is more variegate.

Yeah the two main characters are white but the white barbie is literally defined "sterotyped barbie" and its described as the sumb barbie can't make anything useful, while the Barbie president in that world is black.

Tell me this is not something makes the average dumb anti wokist mad 😁

• Like 3

Then yeah female empowering movies shouldn't be considered "leftist movies", conservative people love them too.

Conservative people. The problem is anti wokism people are fascists. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I agree the movie it's not woke cause simple woke movies doesn't exist.

Saying that for people believing woke movies are a thing this movie has everything to be called like that (i would say this is why has been called like that?). The fact the definition of woke is only about main characters race it's just your opinion, of course the woke conversation is more variegate.

Yeah the two main characters are white but the white barbie is literally defined "sterotyped barbie" and its described as the sumb barbie can't make anything useful, while the Barbie president in that world is black.

Tell me this is not something makes the average dumb anti wokist mad 😁

Most of "anti woke" crew doesn't seem to mind the Black Barbie president. I assure you they would complaint a lot more about the main Barbie being a black woman.

Honestly, we couldn't really pretend the two main characters being white blonde people don't reduce the "woke" accusations at some level.

Sure, the movie tries to show itself progressive by showing Barbies and Kens from other races, but the two main characters being white people isn't really considered so progressive.

PS: I should mention that the main audience for this movie is white women.

Edited by Kon

Why are we even discussing about "reduced woke accusations" when in fact the film has received woke accusations and plenty of them? Difference is this narrative simply gets dropped and people move on when they see the film is a smash hit. It only serves the purpose when there's a "go woke go broke" narrative, no alt right dude wants to talk about how the "woke film" is going to be the biggest film of the year.

• Like 9

Honestly calling anything woke as a criticism is dumb. Like what would you rather it be? Asleep? Lmao. Great movies should generate discussion and support for its message and Barbie is doing that like no other recent movie has. 

8 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Why are we even discussing about "reduced woke accusations" when in fact the film has received woke accusations and plenty of them? Difference is this narrative simply gets dropped and people move on when they see the film is a smash hit. It only serves the purpose when there's a "go woke go broke" narrative, no alt right dude wants to talk about how the "woke film" is going to be the biggest film of the year.

It isn't just box office. That doesn't stop them from incessantly attacking Captain Marvel.

It's the reception. There could be some haters, but Barbie isn't a divisive movie. Barbie is pretty beloved between the audience.

Edited by Kon

5 hours ago, Reality said:

Hi Jessie. Bye Jessie. You’re a bigoted fuckhead, you make the world worse, and you wasting your life in a place you’re banned isn’t funny anymore. Please fuck off. Thank you 😘 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1