filmlover

American Fiction | 12/15/23 | MGM | Winner of the TIFF Audience Award 2023

The little birdies at Reddit are saying this might be the Regal Monday Mystery Movie/AMC Screen Unseen tonight (7 PM local time at participating theaters). These are strong guesses from sources who've previously been in the know with these things, but nothing absolutely 100 percent confirmed. Do with the info what you will...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The little birdies at Reddit are saying this might be the Regal Monday Mystery Movie/AMC Screen Unseen tonight (7 PM local time at participating theaters). These are strong guesses from sources who've previously been in the know with these things, but nothing absolutely 100 percent confirmed. Do with the info what you will...

Can confirm it was the movie screened. Can also confirm I absolutely adored it but I can definitely see it being a twitter (x?) lightening rod when it goes wide. 
As someone who considers episode 6 of Watchmen as the pinnacle of the last decade of comic book story-telling, it was really satisfying to see Jefferson tackle something like this and really go to town. Nice to get some decent satires lately between this, Dream Scenario & Triangle of Sadness too

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Can confirm it was the movie screened. Can also confirm I absolutely adored it but I can definitely see it being a twitter (x?) lightening rod when it goes wide. 
As someone who considers episode 6 of Watchmen as the pinnacle of the last decade of comic book story-telling, it was really satisfying to see Jefferson tackle something like this and really go to town. Nice to get some decent satires lately between this, Dream Scenario & Triangle of Sadness too

I also saw it tonight. Not a huge crowd (it's a pretty dead theater outside of weekends) but there were lots of laughs throughout and (as far as I could tell) no walkouts. I cackled at the shot at

Ryan Reynolds, and wonder just how mad this made Tyler Perry. There's kind of a double meaning in bringing him up in this movie, because it takes digs at stereotypical Black portrayals and that's how he first made his fortune in entertainment. But also the gay brother keeps being likened to him, and, well...

American Fiction won TIFF when The Holdovers was right there, so maybe it can survive Twitter drama. Though maybe the drama will be less right wingers angry about "woke Hollywood" than people who like "hood stories" and feel attacked by this movie.