Eric Duncan

Disney + Hulu | Marvel Studios' Echo | January 10th | Marvels First TV-MA Series

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/hawkeye-disney-plus-echo-spinoff-1234934667/

The “Hawkeye” series at Disney Plus may already be getting a spinoff.

A show centered on Echo, a deaf Native American character who will be played by Alaqua Cox in the “Hawkeye” series, is in the early stages of development for Disney Plus, Variety has learned exclusively from sources. Etan Cohen and Emily Cohen are attached to write and executive produce the show, with a writers’ room recently being assembled. Marvel Studios will produce.

Reps for Marvel Studios declined to comment. Reps for the Cohens did not immediately respond to Variety‘s request for comment.

Echo, whose real name is Maya Lopez, has the ability to perfectly copy another person’s movements or fighting style, making her a formidable opponent in battle. In the Marvel comics, Echo crosses paths with characters like Daredevil, Moon Knight and the Avengers. She was also the first person to hold the title of Ronin before passing it onto Clint Barton, a.k.a. Hawkeye, in the comics. At the beginning of  “Avengers: Endgame,” Barton (Jeremy Renner) briefly used the name Ronin and went rogue from the Avengers after losing his family in Thanos’ snap.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Well that's a really odd decision. Is it that bad?

As I just said in the Disney mothership thread it's probably more due to avoiding SW/Marvel overlaps like the plague.  They might have thought they got bit in the ass on Ms. Marvel/Obi-Wan Kenobi and She-Hulk/Andor and are looking to not have an Echo/Skeleton Crew overlap.

That being said, it is surprising. Might be worried about another Ms. Marvel extremely micro-targetted/niche show and are trying the binge model as an experiment.

So not so much good/bad as broad interest/more niche interest.

Maybe.  I dunno.  All of this evaporates if Skeleton Crew releases next year. Yadda yadda yadda.

55 minutes ago, Porthos said:

As I just said in the Disney mothership thread it's probably more due to avoiding SW/Marvel overlaps like the plague.  They might have thought they got bit in the ass on Ms. Marvel/Obi-Wan Kenobi and She-Hulk/Andor and are looking to not have an Echo/Skeleton Crew overlap.

That being said, it is surprising. Might be worried about another Ms. Marvel extremely micro-targetted/niche show and are trying the binge model as an experiment.

So not so much good/bad as broad interest/more niche interest.

Maybe.  I dunno.  All of this evaporates if Skeleton Crew releases next year. Yadda yadda yadda.

I don't know. It seems kinda weird. I thought Marvel was starting to ease up on spamming their content, but with this schedule you've got Loki season 2 ending the same day that the Marvels comes out. Even if they drop two episodes in one day, that's still cutting it pretty close.  And then Echo coming out less than a month later and dropping all six episodes. Not sure what Disney has planned for December.

Also, with the writers strike still looming you'd think it might not be the worst idea for them to slow their roll so they don't end up with a drought of content.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, poweranimals said:

I don't know. It seems kinda weird. I thought Marvel was starting to ease up on spamming their content, but with this schedule you've got Loki season 2 ending the same day that the Marvels comes out. Even if they drop two episodes in one day, that's still cutting it pretty close.  And then Echo coming out less than a month later and dropping all six episodes. Not sure what Disney has planned for December.

Also, with the writers strike still looming you'd think it might not be the worst idea for them to slow their roll so they don't end up with a drought of content.

I mean, yeah.  But if they want all of Echo out in Q4 for some financial reason...  

Really, the biggest problem with the theory here is Skeleton Crew as there is absolutely no reason why that couldn't be moved to Jan/Feb with Echo in Dec/Jan.  Or punt Echo to 2024 entirely.  But then we're back to "what if Disney wants Echo to be in a specific financial quarter for some reason".  And, hell, I'm just guessing on Skeleton Crew based on rumormongering from the SW leakosphere.

Or maybe they really are just experimenting.  Who the hell knows.

I'm sure the scoopers out there will have dozens of competing theories.  One of them might even be right (purely by chance :ph34r:)!

Be real interested in getting @Potiki's take on all of this.

• Like 1

I think it's more straightforward. There are a lot of big shows in the back end of the year for Disney+, all right up against each other, and of those this is probably the cheapest and is the only one without an A lister for the lead, so they feel more comfortable getting these all out at once so they don't need to delay Skeleton Crew or something 

Edited by SpiderByte

Just now, SpiderByte said:

It might because of the rating, or that since this one is just 5 it might be better to do all at once.

I was thinking maybe they’re testing the binge with a smaller character/show. Even if it’s great I wouldn’t expect it to have very high ratings. 

• Like 1

It actually looks good. 😮 Trailers can be misleading though. It looks very Kingpin heavy. Not sure how much that will actually be reflected in the series. It's just weird that they're dumping it. I also noticed this is releasing on Hulu as well. Also, did someone say that this is only 5 episodes?

On a side note, does this mean What If? Season 2 isn't releasing in December as previously announced?

On 11/3/2023 at 1:44 PM, poweranimals said:

It actually looks good. 😮 Trailers can be misleading though. It looks very Kingpin heavy. Not sure how much that will actually be reflected in the series. It's just weird that they're dumping it. I also noticed this is releasing on Hulu as well. Also, did someone say that this is only 5 episodes?

On a side note, does this mean What If? Season 2 isn't releasing in December as previously announced?

I can't imagine why Kingpin wouldn't be in the actual show much considering how much he's already in the trailer.

As for what if my guess is Marvels going to do that all at once too

• Astonished 1

22 hours ago, CordellChoi said:

Marvel continues to broaden its universe with fascinating characters, and Echo's ability to mimic movements and fighting styles adds a fresh and unique dimension to the storytelling.Echo's connection to the Ronin identity adds an exciting layer to the narrative, especially considering Clint Barton's brief stint as Ronin in ""Avengers: Endgame."" This connection could lead to some compelling story arcs and character development.If you're a fan of superhero stories, you might also want to check out what movies are currently playing in theaters. There's often a diverse range of films on the big screen.

Except, according to Disney, the showrunners have decided to not use her comic book powers as her power set.  No one actually knows yet what powers she will have.

9 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Except, according to Disney, the showrunners have decided to not use her comic book powers as her power set.  No one actually knows yet what powers she will have.

One of the writers is Rebecca Roanhorse, who wrote Echo during her time as the Phoenix in the comics. and the D23 trailer from 2022 had her with glowing tattoos so that fits. Probably not the actual Phoenix Force tho

phxsongecho20210001_yu-var_0.jpg