XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I alos am pretty sure they will try to do the MCU films with smaller budgets. They will still spend the big bucks on sme projects, but I suspect there will be a real attempt to keep budgets down for the typical MCU film.

This is so close to the Star Wars situation though.

45 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

honestly don't care about what if? season 2 since they cut the Pacific rim episode to season 3

Seems like I am out of the loop here, what pacific rim episode? I did a cursory google search but couldn't find anything. Is there a MCU and Pacific Rim crossover that I missed or something?

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

I alos am pretty sure they will try to do the MCU films with smaller budgets. They will still spend the big bucks on sme projects, but I suspect there will be a real attempt to keep budgets down for the typical MCU film.

They HAVE to keep budgets down and yet at the same time they want to bring in big name actors to anchor their movies........ how the freak they can do both, I have no idea.

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

So we can finally get a consensus that CBM fatigue among General Audiences is a very real thing?

It was real when GOTG Vol 3 and Black Panther 2 was earning 850M........... now it has gone beyond "fatigue" and we should start discussing if CBMs has reached stage 4 cancer already. Reached the point of no return.

Edited by scytheavatar

2 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Seems like I am out of the loop here, what pacific rim episode? I did a cursory google search but couldn't find anything. Is there a MCU and Pacific Rim crossover that I missed or something?

no, it's  what if Surtur came to earth and it's about the Avengers piloting giant mechs 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scytheavatar said:

They HAVE to keep budgets down and yet at the same time they want to bring in big name actors to anchor their movies........ how the freak they can do both, I have no idea.

I mean if you’re doing Blade for $100 million with Mahershala Ali that’s doing both. Not every character is right for a lower budget film, but Shang-Chi really doesn’t need to end with a giant kaiju battle. I think most would agree that’s the weakest part of that movie. Black Widow doesn’t need a floating fortress in its third act. Smaller budgets could spur more innovative storytelling instead of relying on empty spectacle. 

(On a side note, budgets will naturally decrease with loosening COVID protocols which have inflated budgets at least 15% for all the big films this year. Of course, many budgets for 2024/2025 will be inflated by strike delays).

@ZeeSoh You said there should have been Avengers movie in phase 4 or 5. I tell you why they didn't do this. There is no Avengers in phase 4 or 5 because there is little to no acceptance of important characters like Captain Marvel, She-Hulk & Ms. Marvel in the mcu nerds base especially Captain Marvel because most of these nerds are highly insecure of Captain Marvel..They couldn't risk box office of other phase 4 MCU movies by telling them who the Avengers are & who the leads are in those Avengers movies & this is the reason that even after 4.5 years since Endgame there aren't giving any information about Avengers. They are hoping that MCU nerds will eventually accept these characters to enjoy finale but I think it won't be easy to sell Avengers movies to these nerds base.

Edited by Willowra

7 hours ago, Willowra said:

@ZeeSoh You said there should have been Avengers movie in phase 4 or 5. I tell you why they didn't do this. There is no Avengers in phase 4 or 5 because there is little to no acceptance of important characters like Captain Marvel, She-Hulk & Ms. Marvel in the mcu nerds base especially Captain Marvel because most of these nerds are highly insecure of Captain Marvel..They couldn't risk box office of other phase 4 MCU movies by telling them who the Avengers are & who the leads are in those Avengers movies & this is the reason that even after 4.5 years since Endgame there aren't giving any information about Avengers. They are hoping that MCU nerds will eventually accept these characters to enjoy finale but I think it won't be easy to sell Avengers movies to these nerds base.

Maybe that's why we keep seeing rumors of Toby Maguire and Hugh Jackman being key pieces in the next Avengers movies, to alleviate some of these concerns?

11 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

I mean if you’re doing Blade for $100 million with Mahershala Ali that’s doing both. Not every character is right for a lower budget film, but Shang-Chi really doesn’t need to end with a giant kaiju battle. I think most would agree that’s the weakest part of that movie. Black Widow doesn’t need a floating fortress in its third act. Smaller budgets could spur more innovative storytelling instead of relying on empty spectacle. 

(On a side note, budgets will naturally decrease with loosening COVID protocols which have inflated budgets at least 15% for all the big films this year. Of course, many budgets for 2024/2025 will be inflated by strike delays).

Making a movie look cheap can harm a film as well. FF and X-Men can't done on the cheap either.

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Making a movie look cheap can harm a film as well. FF and X-Men can't done on the cheap either.

Oh I agree about both of those properties. But I also expect that Marvel is going to try and establish both of those as marque franchises going forward. I just don't think every character (and streaming show for that matter) needs $200+ million budgets to be translated well to screen. Plenty of action movies are made for much smaller budgets and don't look cheap. Their street level heroes, for instance, would lend themselves well to a similar model.

17 hours ago, dudalb said:

So we can finally get a consensus that CBM fatigue among General Audiences is a very real thing?

It's not scientific, but in my world, the most damning thing about the future outlook of comic book films is that between my kids and their friends (in the 9-12 age category) don't really care much about superheroes at all. There was a bit of interest in ATSV when it came out. And my oldest will tag along if I ask him if he wants to go see anything at the theatres.

I really wonder if these films have now been around so long and at such volume that the next generation views it as a bit of a relic.

2 minutes ago, vafrow said:

It's not scientific, but in my world, the most damning thing about the future outlook of comic book films is that between my kids and their friends (in the 9-12 age category) don't really care much about superheroes at all. There was a bit of interest in ATSV when it came out. And my oldest will tag along if I ask him if he wants to go see anything at the theatres.

I really wonder if these films have now been around so long and at such volume that the next generation views it as a bit of a relic.

Were they excited about FNAF or Mario?

29 minutes ago, Valencia said:

Were they excited about FNAF or Mario?

Absolutely. And Transformers Rise of the Beasts for whatever reason. Somewhat into TMNT Mutant Mayhem.

The older one was really excited about Dungeons and Dragons, and made that his birthday party event (despite no history with the game), even though Shazam came out on his actual birthday weekend.

15 hours ago, scytheavatar said:

It was real when GOTG Vol 3 and Black Panther 2 was earning 850M........... now it has gone beyond "fatigue" and we should start discussing if CBMs has reached stage 4 cancer already. Reached the point of no return.

The issue is I think the GA don't see CBMs as 'CBMs' - I maintain GotG is not a superhero film and that helped it. BP2 had its dead lead thing but it was also one of the best receptions for the first film so good will fed in.

I think outside Avengers these are all treated by the public as different franchises. GA would not blink if Batman turned up in Avengers.

I will remain convinced that if they’re not going to soft reboot it all, Kamala and Shang Chi are where they need to invest. They are far and away the two post Infinity Saga newbie standouts, and I also insist neither has really had a fair shake at things.

Ms Marvel’s marketing and promo from a Disney was appallingly low compared to every other MCU show so far. Combine that with saddling it to a peak summer release date, eg. the time of year TV viewership is historically its lowest, and it was pretty clear they had no faith in it. Then she’s doubly screwed getting her movie debut in this inevitably doomed Marvels mess. 

SC on the other hand was probably the most impressive box office performance of the true covid era (everything pre No Way Home), but it was still a victim to the covid era. Could have been such a smash under different circumstances, it showed huge potential as it was.

So they are their best bets so far without starting anew. No one else in the “new avengers” lineup has much of any charismatic star potential.