XXR & Friends

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

I think back in like late 2021/early 2022 someone on r/boxoffice asked "would Eternals be a John Carter level flop without the Marvel brand?" I think The Marvels is the answer to that. . .because Eternals was lucky to come out when the marvel brand was still unbelievably strong. So despite poor reviews/pandemic/new characters it still did $402M WW on a $200M budget, so just a flop not a bomb like The Marvels. But if it came out in November 2023 when the marvel brand is weak and CBM fatigue is at its peak, it would've done The Marvels numbers and it would've been a true bomb instead of just a flop.

Edited by HummingLemon496

2 minutes ago, Belakor said:

I don't think CBM fatigue is at its peak yet. We will see the full fatigue and dead of the genre once Cap 4 its released.

Oh yeah we haven't fully gotten into the "dead on arrival era" for the MCU yet. Cap 4, Thunderbolts. If Thunderbolts happens I could see a reasonable play for sub-Morbius WW. Could Cap 4 go sub-Morbius WW? 

Since 2024 is looking to be a bit of a breather year, 2025 will be the real test to see if the MCU, and superhero movies in general, have a future. In terms of Marvel’s slate, Fantastic Four and Blade (assuming it manages to come out) interest me more than Cap and Thunderbolts, which I’m pretty indifferent to. 

On 11/19/2023 at 8:57 PM, TheFlatLannister said:

There’s just no way a cameo MCU event somehow grosses less than both solo Deadpool films. As Shawn, Empire and others have previously stated, Deadpool is going to be a true summer 4 Quadrant blockbuster film. 

Only if to really delivers. People are done with the ho hum CBMs. Especially in a second sequel. Not to mention X-men has never been a box office juggernaut, so let’s not get carried away with Hugh here. 

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Only if to really delivers. People are done with the ho hum CBMs. Especially in a second sequel. Not to mention X-men has never been a box office juggernaut, so let’s not get carried away with Hugh here. 

Oh please, X-Men was a staple of that time, and Hugh an even bigger one. Nostalgia sells, the interest for this is so huge that even just an ok quality will make at least 800M WW, mark my words.

With that said, I don’t think they’ll let this one just have an ok reception.

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Also, an R rated movie is never going to be the full 4 quad event film a pg13 can be. It just won’t. Way too many people will not let their kids see an R with any exception. Many stricter parents will make an exception for a 4 quad pg13 event like no way home, but not R. 

Of the top 10 highest grossing R rated films, 4 are comic book adaptations, including the current #1. The other 3 are Deadpool, Deadpool 2, and Logan.

Edited by SpiderByte

6 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Oh please, X-Men was a staple of that time, and Hugh an even bigger one. Nostalgia sells, the interest for this is so huge that even just an ok quality will make at least 800M WW, mark my words.

It’s banking on older Millennial nostalgia with Hugh, X-men hasn’t been highly relevant in film since the 00s. Which is good for an R rated movie to be fair. But even then, the PEAK of Xmen in 03-06 with 2 and 3 would only sit in the #13-16 range in admission if part of the MCU for context.

R rated blockbusters have shown to have a hard ceiling because they can’t ever be true 4 quad. With current ATP, that hard ceiling DOM is probably around 450. So that’s what we’re looking at if everything goes perfect. Probably another mega bomb if people hate it, GA isn’t playing around with lackluster CBMs anymore. 

28 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

ummm the X-men were the defining cinematic team of the 2000s. Days of the future past made $950M WW adjusted for inflation, that's pretty big. 

Hugh Jackman is a draw, that's irrefutable just looking at social media impressions. Now if that will translate into box office dollars is yet to be seen.  

17 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Deadpool x Wolverine (is what i'm assuming the title will ultimately be) is going to be another MoM situation: Opens too big to have meh box office returns 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Deadpool x Wolverine (is what i'm assuming the title will ultimately be) is going to be another MoM situation: Opens too big to have meh box office returns 

It will never open that big though if it’s not well liked. We’ve seen these CBMs get sunk almost instantly now if WOM is bad. Even MoM with mediocre WOM didn’t deliver on the potential of its OD. I also see this movie potentially being frontloaded to end all frontloaded. So if something happens with bad WoM, I could see a truly disastrous multi of like 1.7x based on the multis we’ve been seeing lately. 

8 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Agreed. Most crucial though is that I doubt this won’t deliver on the cameos fest promised. I don’t think they’ll be making that particular mistake again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Agreed. Most crucial though is that I doubt this won’t deliver on the cameos fest promised. I don’t think they’ll be making that particular mistake again.

And I think banking on cameo fest where we’re at in the current climate of CBMs is a horrible, horrible idea that will backfire. They need to bank on a quality script. 

31 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

And I think banking on cameo fest where we’re at in the current climate of CBMs is a horrible, horrible idea that will backfire. They need to bank on a quality script. 

Meh, as I’ve said before, I really think they won’t let this one be a dud, they know there’s too much riding on it.

20 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Sadly we know the answer to that around here. 

Yup, any MCU thread will be a variation of that until the next MCU movie after Deadpool opens. No matter how much Deadpool makes, the negativity will be through the roof.

14 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Meh, as I’ve said before, I really think they won’t let this one be a dud, they know there’s too much riding on it.

Yup, any MCU thread will be a variation of that until the next MCU movie after Deadpool opens. No matter how much Deadpool makes, the negativity will be through the roof.

I don't why the people who do this don't realize how insufferable they are. Like find something else to do with your time. This forum would be so much better if some of the threads were not negative depressing  bitchfests.

• Like 1