Eric S'ennui

Weekend Thread (11/17-19) | Early Deadline #s - Songbirds 5.75-6M Previews, Trolls 2M

11 minutes ago, Eric Gray Baird said:

I mean...I'm saying they don't want it. The box office numbers show that people just want to see the same rehashed stuff. Original stuff is still largely tanking outside of Oppenheimer and Sound of Freedom, which had big external factors affecting their box office. And like I know people will say "SEE BARBIE AND MARIO ARE POPULAR PEOPLE WANT ORIGINAL STUFF" but like...the only reason they were popular was because they are already established franchises and brands people are attached to. Like nobody would see either of those movies if they were wholly original things not based on toys or games they played when they were 8.

I am a movie fan so I just want good movies if it's franchise stuff  it just make it good like Guardians 3, Across the Spiderverse, MI;DR Part 1 John Wick 4, Dungeons and Dragons ect. Oppenheimer is just icing on the cake for the year for me.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

About the general discussion of the decline of cinema; i recently found this video about it and imo, it really gives you a great overall view of the many reasons why movies are "dying".

Patrick Williams being the modern day equivalent of YMS ten years ago really shows the change in perception in online film circles

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

About the general discussion of the decline of cinema; i recently found this video about it and imo, it really gives you a great overall view of the many reasons why movies are "dying".

One thing I know that's killing Cinema is tentpole movies like Jurassic World Dominion. That thing still did a billion dollars. 😃

6 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

One thing I know that's killing Cinema is tentpole movies like Jurassic World Dominion. That thing still did a billion dollars. 😃

Are you like trying to provoke me

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

I really hope that next year, audiences will reward original movies way more and that franchise movies dont get rewarded just for beeing franchise movies!

That said, i pray to all cinema gods that Godzilla vs Kong: The New Empire will be the biggest film of all :heart:

Reveal hidden contents

Godzilla doing well at the BO is a win for cinema.

• Heart 1

52 minutes ago, Eric Gray Baird said:

I mean...I'm saying they don't want it. The box office numbers show that people just want to see the same rehashed stuff. Original stuff is still largely tanking outside of Oppenheimer and Sound of Freedom, which had big external factors affecting their box office. And like I know people will say "SEE BARBIE AND MARIO ARE POPULAR PEOPLE WANT ORIGINAL STUFF" but like...the only reason they were popular was because they are already established franchises and brands people are attached to. Like nobody would see either of those movies if they were wholly original things not based on toys or games they played when they were 8.

Well then you miss the point about it being tired and lazy franchise milking people are tired of. We aren’t going to get some massive influx of wholly original IPs, that hasn’t been realistic for at least 25 years. Or ever really. Movies have always thrived off adaptations. 

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Nope.  Sorry It was just a easy shot to take. All in good fun.  I just figure even you have to concede that movie is part of what we are talking about here when we talk about the death of cinema but then again a lot of the people shitting over the current MCU would probably say they liked that movie so what do I know. And by the way I loved Fallen Kingdom. It's my 2nd favorite after the original. 

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

Nope.  Sorry It was just a easy shot to take. All in good fun.  I just figure even you have to concede that movie is part of what we are talking about here when we talk about the death of cinema but then again a lot of the people shitting over the current MCU would probably say they liked that movie so what do I know. And by the way I loved Fallen Kingdom. It's my 2nd favorite after the original. 

Oh, definetly. Dominion is one of the best examples for a movie series that didnt know when to stop because - well, financially, they didnt have any reason. The Jurassic World trilogy was an incredible success for Universal.

It also helped that every Jurassic World movie was a pure masterpiece ofc, the pinnacle of modern filmmaking.

2003 Top 10 (domestic)

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (fantasy epic franchise, based on a book)

2. Finding Nemo (original animation)

3. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (fantasy swashbuckler, based on a Disney ride)

4. The Matrix Reloaded (sci-fi action franchise)

5. Bruce Almighty (original comedy)

6. X2 (comic book franchise)

7. Elf (original Christmas comedy)

8. Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (sci-fi action franchise)

9. The Matrix Revolutions (sci-fi action franchise)

10. Cheaper by the Dozen (remake)

Four originals, two of which became franchises. The remake spawned a sequel. Two movies from the same franchise within the year.

1993 Top 10 (domestic)

1. Jurassic Park (sci-fi action, based on a book)

2. Mrs. Doubtfire (comedy, based on a book)

3. The Fugitive (action thriller, based on a TV show)

4. The Firm (legal thriller, based on a book)

5. Sleepless in Seattle (original romantic comedy)

6. Indecent Proposal (erotic thriller, based on a book)

7. In the Line of Fire (original action thriller)

8. The Pelican Brief (legal thriller, based on a book)

9. Schindler's List (historical drama, based on a book)

10. Cliffhanger (original action thriller)

Three originals, none of which have generated a sequel so far. Not all of the movies based on books were well-known in the US as books (so seemed "original" to audiences), though Jurassic Park and the two John Grisham adaptations were very famous bestsellers. Jurassic has since become a franchise.

1 minute ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

2003 Top 10 (domestic)

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (fantasy epic franchise, based on a book)

2. Finding Nemo (original animation)

3. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (fantasy swashbuckler, based on a Disney ride)

4. The Matrix Reloaded (sci-fi action franchise)

5. Bruce Almighty (original comedy)

6. X2 (comic book franchise)

7. Elf (original Christmas comedy)

8. Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (sci-fi action franchise)

9. The Matrix Revolutions (sci-fi action franchise)

10. Cheaper by the Dozen (remake)

Four originals, two of which became franchises. The remake spawned a sequel. Two movies from the same franchise within the year.

1993 Top 10 (domestic)

1. Jurassic Park (sci-fi action, based on a book)

2. Mrs. Doubtfire (comedy, based on a book)

3. The Fugitive (action thriller, based on a TV show)

4. The Firm (legal thriller, based on a book)

5. Sleepless in Seattle (original romantic comedy)

6. Indecent Proposal (erotic thriller, based on a book)

7. In the Line of Fire (original action thriller)

8. The Pelican Brief (legal thriller, based on a book)

9. Schindler's List (historical drama, based on a book)

10. Cliffhanger (original action thriller)

Three originals, none of which have generated a sequel so far. Not all of the movies based on books were well-known in the US as books (so seemed "original" to audiences), though Jurassic Park and the two John Grisham adaptations were very famous bestsellers. Jurassic has since become a franchise.

Idk, Lord of the Rings and Jurassic Park are nostalgic toy commercials to me. (YES THAT IS THE CORRECT TERM GET TRIGGERED WHITE FILM BROS)

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

he

Oh, definetly. Dominion is one of the best examples for a movie series that didnt know when to stop because - well, financially, they didnt have any reason. The Jurassic World trilogy was an incredible success for Universal.

It also helped that every Jurassic World movie was a pure masterpiece ofc, the pinnacle of modern filmmaking.

Okay. Jurassic World is a great popcorn movie and Fallen Kingdom is so underated. The second half playing as a  haunted house movie. JA Bayona knocked it out of the Park no pun intended and the set up that Colin just completely shit the bed with in Dominion just ugh.

• Like 2

I'm not saying people are awarding originality yet - I'm just saying they are definitely starting to reject the endless shitty sequels and spinoffs of lesser quality. People still want things that are IP - but most of the current IP is near the end of the life cycle, and audiences can smell it. Definitely studios need to invest in new things, even if it is more Zelda than Oppenheimer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Okay. Jurassic World is a great popcorn movie and Fallen Kingdom is so underated. The second half playing as a  haunted house movie. JA Bayona knocked it out of the Park no pun intended and the set up that Colin just completely shit the bed with in Dominion just ugh.

Second half is amazing and I love the fact it’s a ducking auction but the first half is very bad. I still can’t work out if this was the original intention or significant reshoots and if so which one was added later?

Second half is literally just a Doctor Who episode and when you chuck in Toby Jones you’ve got a success.

5 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

Nah that was a flop we've seen before.  There's never been anything like 'The Marvels' 

At least there isn’t someone like Stephen king or Tom cruise like figure came to back the marvels like the way for flash. There was clear attempt to build flash as the best CBM ever pre-release, whether people trust it or not. The marvels at least we all know the buzz was super cold even before the presale opened. 

10 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm not saying people are awarding originality yet - I'm just saying they are definitely starting to reject the endless shitty sequels and spinoffs of lesser quality. People still want things that are IP - but most of the current IP is near the end of the life cycle, and audiences can smell it. Definitely studios need to invest in new things, even if it is more Zelda than Oppenheimer.

Agreed. People are moving on to new franchises. They are done with franchises that peaked 10 years ago.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Giorno said:

the days of a original movie becoming highest grosser ever are definitely over tho, no more ET, Star Wars or avatar coming 

someone will come up with a new gimmick and eventually do it

if the tom cruise space movie gets off the ground there probably exists a path for it to become #1 all time