Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Est. Renaissance $21M, TBOSS $14.5M, Godzilla -1.0 $11.03M, Trolls 3 $7.60M, Wish $7.41M, Napoleon $7.13M, Animal $6.14M, The Shift $4.36M &The Marvels $2.51M

7 minutes ago, belblazer said:

Judging by the wonderful numbers both tours made, Beryoncé and Taylor are the only ones who could earn these numbers for a concert film. The other female act who usually does numbers on par with them is Pink.

Oh damn how did I not think about her doing this too? That would be fucking amazing, I’ve seen two of her concerts and they are unequivocally unlike any other you will ever go to. It’s 100% an S tier Cirque Du Soleil mixed with S tier live vocals (no idea how she manages that). I’d be there for sure to see it all clearly on the big screen, esp since I wasn’t gonna splurge to see this tour when I’ve done it twice for her tours already. 

13 minutes ago, belblazer said:

Judging by the wonderful numbers both tours made, Beryoncé and Taylor are the only ones who could earn these numbers for a concert film. The other female act who usually does numbers on par with them is Pink.

Unfortunately Pink has been doing the same concert for about 10 years now so we’ve all seen it. 

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Unfortunately Pink has been doing the same concert for about 10 years now so we’ve all seen it. 

I can’t speak to this one, but the concert for the Truth About Love and for Beautiful Trauma were both very different…

Acrobatics aren’t all the same, there wouldn’t be so many Cirque shows if they were.  

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

They point to the low-ish drops on the Universal movies that went to PVOD early, like Super Mario Bros and Puss In Boots. Those movies didn't fall off at the box office like The Holdovers has with PVOD, but the circumstances are very different.

It just appeals to a crowd who say they wish there were more non-franchise movies in theaters, but for whatever reason can't be bothered to show up to movie theaters in large enough numbers anymore. Another Alexander Payne movie, The Descendants, was released in mid-November 2011 and stayed in under 1,000 theaters until late January 2012, but made over $50 million domestic in that time. Theatrical runs like that or Green Book or Silver Linings Playbook just aren't happening now. Even replicating a Lion-type run would be an absolute miracle.

People hope that if theatrical exclusive windows were longer again, then eventually moviegoing habits will return to the 2010s levels, but it's probably not going to happen. Especially not with "Oscar hopeful" types. Nolan kept his movie off PVOD for months, but there was always more interest in a Nolan movie to begin with.

The point is Mario and PIB2 are event film that you watch with your friends' or family give incentive for people to go to theaters. They see a moviegoing as a gathering, family event or an outing. 

The same can't be said to drama fare, where the moviegoing tend to be more silo or smaller numbers, thereby closing the difference between watching movie on PVOD at home and actually going to cinema. Oppenheimer become an outlier because it break into main stream conscious and make itself an event, allowing big group moviegoing easier. I saw Oppenheimer with another 8 friends of mine but couldn't even get one for Past Lives. 

I do think too many OS audiences rejecting darker-skinned led movies is a real thing, but it’s stupid to make it a thing with The Color Purple. Thats inherently a DOM skewing story in its premise and appeal. It’s not aiming to be a big budget universal tentpole.

Totally different than TLM, which should have been a worldwide appealing blockbuster, and one has to raise eyebrows when it does way worse OS than DOM despite the typical pattern of those kinds of movies. 

• Like 3

Saltburn from Amazon/MGM continues to hold strong with an estimated weekend of $1.57 million on 1,566 screens for a cume of $6.23 million. Saturday was up 28% week-on-week for the Emerald Fennell film starring Barry Keoghan and Jacob Elordi. The coasts are overperforming. The film’s top 500 theaters are about 80% the total gross, the top 700 theaters are 90%. Strongest markets are NY, LA, Chicago, San Francisco, D.C., Boston, Seattle and Toronto.

It is said that Saltburn had 550 theaters that were up in gross from their previous Saturday. I haven't seen the movie but the Emerald definitely put something special in the movie to make an big impression on the crowd, whether they like it or not. Verified audience score also went up to 77%.

5 minutes ago, Eric Wonka said:

Moderation

I don't know what certain folks are doing with this "Color Purple won't do well OS" stuff, but it seems like trolling and baiting and I don't like it. Please move along to something else.

I don't really get what part of my argument seemed like trolling and baiting nor exactly when I pulled that sort of behavior in the past to even suggest that would be a thing, but sure?

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 1

Just now, TMP said:

Renaissance… best concert doc since stop making sense? Some of the shots were just incredible

So excited for it. Beyonce's visual albums have never disappointed. Black is King almost justified Favreau Lion King's existence...almost.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eric Wonka said:

So excited for it. Beyonce's visual albums have never disappointed. Black is King almost justified Favreau Lion King's existence...almost.

It’s incredible. Genuinely awe inspiring at points. I really really need to see her live one day lol. My girlfriend cried like 3 times and i’m sure i would have cried too if i wasn’t so po-faced lol

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’m glad Adele is bandwagon hopping as well here since I would never ever pay the crazy prices to see her just stand in the same spot and sing for 2 hours, but I would pay movie ticket prices for that… 

THERE IS AN ADELE MOVIE COMING WHAT

• Like 1