filmlover

Golden Globe Nominations 2023

In the morning the nominees for the Golden Globes will be announced so opening this now for when they come in. This post will be updated with them afterwards.

Nominees:

Best Motion Picture — Drama

Anatomy of a Fall
Killers of the Flower Moon
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Past Lives
The Zone of Interest

Best Motion Picture — Musical or Comedy

Air
American Fiction
Barbie
The Holdovers
May December
Poor Things

Best Motion Picture — Non-English Language

Anatomy of a Fall
Fallen Leaves
Io Capitano
Past Lives
Society of the Snow
The Zone of Interest

Best Motion Picture — Animated

The Boy and the Heron
Elemental
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
The Super Mario Bros. Movie
Suzume
Wish

Cinematic and Box Office Achievement

Barbie
Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 3
John Wick: Chapter 4
Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning
Oppenheimer
The Super Mario Bros. Movie
Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour

Best Director — Motion Picture

Bradley Cooper, Maestro
Greta Gerwig, Barbie
Yorgos Lanthimos, Poor Things
Christopher Nolan, Oppenheimer
Martin Scorsese, Killers of the Flower Moon
Celine Song, Past Lives

Best Screenplay — Motion Picture

Barbie
Poor Things
Oppenheimer
Past Lives
Anatomy of a Fall

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture — Drama

Bradley Cooper, Maestro
Leonardo DiCaprio, Killers of the Flower Moon
Colman Domingo, Rustin
Barry Keoghan, Saltburn
Cillian Murphy, Oppenheimer
Andrew Scott, All of Us Strangers

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture — Drama

Annette Bening, Nyad
Lily Gladstone, Killers of the Flower Moon
Sandra Hüller, Anatomy of a Fall
Greta Lee, Pas Lives
Carey Mulligan, Maestro
Cailee Spaeny, Priscilla

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture — Musical or Comedy

Nicolas Cage, Dream Scenario
Timothée Chalamet, Wonka
Matt Damon, Air
Paul Giamatti, The Holdovers
Joaquin Phoenix, Beau Is Afraid
Jeffrey Wright, American Fiction

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture — Musical or Comedy

Fantasia Barrino, The Color Purple
Jennifer Lawrence, No Hard Feelings
Natalie Portman, May December
Alma Pöysti, Fallen Leaves
Margot Robbie, Barbie
Emma Stone, Poor Things

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture

Willem Dafoe, Poor Things
Robert De Niro, Killers of the Flower Moon
Robert Downey, Jr., Oppenheimer
Ryan Gosling, Barbie
Charles Melton, May December
Mark Ruffalo, Poor Things

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture

Emily Blunt, Oppenheimer
Danielle Brooks, The Color Purple
Jodie Foster, Nyad
Julianne Moore, May December
Rosamund Pike, Saltburn
Da'Vine Joy Randolph, The Holdovers

Best Original Score — Motion Picture

Poor Things
Oppenheimer
The Boy and the Heron
The Zone of Interest

Best Original Song — Motion Picture

“Addicted to Romance,” She Came to Me
“Dance the Night,” Barbie
“I’m Just Ken,” Barbie
“Peaches,” The Super Mario Bros. Movie
“Road to Freedom,” Rustin
“What Was I Made For?,” Barbie

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Most wide open seems to be the sixth (and maybe fifth) spot in Best Picture - Drama. Assuming Oppenheimer, Killers, Past Lives, Maestro, and maybe Anatomy of a Fall I guess the sixth goes to ...... Zone of Interest? Ferrari? Iron Claw?

38 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Most wide open seems to be the sixth (and maybe fifth) spot in Best Picture - Drama. Assuming Oppenheimer, Killers, Past Lives, Maestro, and maybe Anatomy of a Fall I guess the sixth goes to ...... Zone of Interest? Ferrari? Iron Claw?

All of Us Strangers, maybe? I think Andrew Scott is getting nominated here.

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Glad to see Barbie getting Director, film, actress and screenplay. 

But why is Mission Impossible up for the box office achievement award? It flopped and lost money. Is that an achievement? Ha 😂😂🤦🏻‍♂️

It earned strong reviews, unlike the majority of the many underperformers this year. Also, the hope Cruise will attend the ceremony (he won't). The whole category is a joke tbh lmao.

33 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Are we not suppose to boycott Golden globe? Have not paying attention to them in the past 2 years. 

That controversy has completely blown over by now. Back to the old grind lol.

Barbie has tied with Cabaret for the second-most nominated film in Globes history behind Nashville. Legendary.

17 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Congratulations to the tv comedy The Bear which definitely a tv comedy 

I'm reminded of the controversy back in its day when Orange is the New Black was placed in the comedy categories and it ended up moving to Drama the following year as a result. This was at a time when the joke-a-minute sitcom wasn't facing extinction like it does today because the nominated shows in the comedy categories at awards shows these days tend to be dramas that happen to have funny elements. Pretty sure no one would bat an eyelash these days (then again, OITNB is probably a limited series instead of a show that overstays its welcome in today's climate).

Edited by filmlover

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Are we not suppose to boycott Golden globe? Have not paying attention to them in the past 2 years. 

The HFPA was disbanded and the Globes added hundreds of new voters. Plus, all the stars (except Brendan Fraser for obvious reasons) showed up last year so that moral hurdle was already crossed, and the ceremony got a new TV deal.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Barbie has tied with Cabaret for the second-most nominated film in Globes history behind Nashville. Legendary.

To be fair, the Globes didn't have a Box Office Achievement category in the 1970s. And three of Barbie's nominations are for Original Song which pads out the total.

Pretty bad for The Color Purple to miss at the Globes in Musical/Comedy.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

56 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That controversy has completely blown over by now. Back to the old grind lol.

It is not that legendary when you realised GG expand their nominees list to six for each category and adding one more category to include blockbuster like Barbie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The HPFA was disbanded and the Globes added hundreds of new voters. Plus, all the stars (except Brendan Fraser for obvious reasons) showed up last year so that moral hurdle was already crossed, and the ceremony got a new TV deal.

To be fair, the Globes didn't have a Box Office Achievement category in the 1970s. And three of Barbie's nominations are for Original Song which pads out the total.

Pretty bad for The Color Purple to miss at the Globes in Musical/Comedy.

They were disbanded? Lol, I didn’t know about the news as I totally ignore everything related to them since the day the controversy broke out. In fact I didn’t even know they added new box office achievements category and expanding six slots until moment ago. 

colour purple omission isn’t a big deal I guess since GG tends to ignore late December player. LW suffered something similar but still got in Oscar after all. 

51 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

And three of Barbie's nominations are for Original Song which pads out the total.

And all of the songs submitted for the Oscars shortlist, no less. "I'm Just Ken" is the one most likely to be kicked out if they only nominate two since both "Dance the Night" and "What Was I Made For?" are the soundtrack hits and Gosling is unlikely to perform at the ceremony.

48 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

They were disbanded? Lol, I didn’t know about the news as I totally ignore everything related to them since the day the controversy broke out. In fact I didn’t even know they added new box office achievements category and expanding six slots until moment ago. 

colour purple omission isn’t a big deal I guess since GG tends to ignore late December player. LW suffered something similar but still got in Oscar after all. 

The About the HFPA page on the Golden Globes site goes full "404 Not Found", it's the only way the Globes were going to survive and who knows if this arrangement will last.

The Golden Globes have historically been pretty generous in nominating musicals with mid to outright poor reviews. Just in the 21st century there's been: The Phantom of the Opera (33 percent RT), The Producers (51 percent), Mamma Mia! (55 percent RT but it was huge internationally, I get it), Nine (39 percent), Alice in Wonderland, Burlesque, Sia's Music (7 percent!)... 

But maybe part of the Globes reforming is not validating  just any old musical anymore. They clearly saw The Color Purple, gave it some nominations but even snubbed the new song writen for the movie. Yet they had room for "Peaches" from Super Mario Bros, which is barely even a song.

The Color Purple hasn't done great with critics groups as a film so far, but WB held early screenings across the country and even a premiere, yet official reviews are still embargoed. It's feeling more like a commercial play than awards contender when ideally it should be both.