Purple Minion

POOR THINGS | 116M+ Worldwide, Lanthimos’ highest-grossing film ever

Didn't know this movie until these few days. 

Searchlight’s Poor Things expanded into several new markets this session, and following on from its 11 Oscar nominations grossed $10M in 36 total. The running overseas cume is $26.3M for $51.1M global. The international drop was just 21% with great holds in Australia (+38%), Germany (+3%), Switzerland (+1%), Poland (+1%), Austria (-4%), Denmark (-5%), Belgium (-13%), Greece (-20%), France (-28%) and UK (-37%).

New launches included Spain at No. 1 with $900K, 37% ahead of director Yorgos Lanthimos’ The Favourite. It was also the No. 1 non-local opener in Italy ($2.1M) and Japan ($700K incl previews). In Mexico, the $1.6M start including previews was the 2nd biggest opening ever for a Searchlight title, behind only The Shape of Water. It was the best opening for a Lanthimos film in all new markets. Still on deck to release are Brazil and Korea. 

Here are the Top 5 to date: UK ($6.4M), Greece ($2.8M), France ($2.1M), Italy ($2.1M) and Australia ($2M).

• Like 1

Deadline: Poor Things is anything but with an $8.5M weekend in 37 markets. The international cume is now $40.1M for $68.3M worldwide. The multiple Oscar nominee dropped by just 23% in holdovers with mega-strength in such markets as Sweden (+5%), Italy (-9%), Austria (-9%), Spain (-13%), Germany (-15%), Mexico (-26%) and France (-28%). Notably, in Brazil, Poor Things opened at an estimated $500K, 125% ahead of The Favourite and  2nd highest debut for a Searchlight Pictures film behind The Shape of Water.

Here’s the Top 5 to date: UK ($7.5M), Italy ($5.1M), Germany ($3M), Greece ($3M) and Mexico ($2.9M).

• Like 2

Deadline: Nearing $100M global, with $92.3M through Sunday. The weekend added $5M in 44 markets for an international cume of $60.5M. The drop was 30% including strong holds in Brazil (+1%), Germany (-24%), Mexico (-25%), UK (-32%), Spain (-33%), Australia (-34%), and Japan (-36%). In Italy, where it won the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival, it is the top-grossing release of the year. The Top markets to date are the UK ($8.7M), Italy ($8M), Mexico ($4.7M), Germany ($4.5M) and France ($4.1M). Korea, notably, is on deck for March 6.

• Like 2

On 2/20/2024 at 12:27 PM, BoxOfficeManiac said:

I thought the UK would definitely be no1 internationally but it seems that Italy will get no1 soon. Any ideas why it’s so successful in Italy?

I actually think  I have an answer myself. Past lives did amazingly well in its opening weekend in Italy. I feel like Italians do appreciate and go to watch awarded movies more than other countries. Probably similar to Greece.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 8:27 PM, BoxOfficeManiac said:

I thought the UK would definitely be no1 internationally but it seems that Italy will get no1 soon. Any ideas why it’s so successful in Italy?

Probably because it won Golden Lion there. 

• Like 2

On 2/21/2024 at 6:18 PM, titanic2187 said:

Probably because it won Golden Lion there. 

Yeah it also helped Joker a lot at the time

I also wanted to add that making for example a comparison with Everything Everywhere they will probably end up with a similar total gross, while here in Italy instead it has already grossed 3 times as much