kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | actuals | 30.15M KFP IV | 28.50M DUNE II

Leaving this here as well (and no I won’t be responding to quotes due to moderation), but just since some want to act as though Nintendo’s modern kid appeal problem is some false narrative. The receipts from Nintendo’s data themselves:

?width=646&auto=webp&quality=80&disable=

And yes, date showed Mario movie was very big with kids, again did a TON for Nintendo there. Stop making an argument with me I’m not making in the first place. 

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

You do know that there is an entire section of Animal Kingdom based on the original movie that's been visited by millions since it opened nearly 7 years ago (before there were even whispers that Disney would end up inheriting the property through the Fox sale), right?

Considering I was on the opening day ops team for Pandora at DAK, I’m going with yes to being aware of it. 

Fantastic land, one of the only times modern Disney execs didn’t budget cut WDI (Cameron’s power likely had a lot to do with that). The attention to detail did WAY bigger things for the park and IP than Galaxy’s edge ever has for Studios and SW

Edited by MovieMan89

"Cultural impact" isn't just defined as how much the openly nerdy subculture embraces an IP. Whatever you think people's motivation for showing up for sequels is, the fact that they do is evidence of it. There wasn't a whole lot of Top Gun extended lore or convention merch before Maverick came out, but clearly the movie and concept still had a certain subconscious appeal for many. 

Edited by AniNate

20 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Considering I was on the opening day ops team for Pandora at DAK, I’m going with yes to being aware of it. 

Fantastic land, one of the only times modern Disney execs didn’t budget cut WDI (Cameron’s power likely had a lot to do with that). The attention to detail did WAY bigger things for the park and IP than Galaxy’s edge ever has for Studios and SW

Pandora: The World of Avatar is indeed amazing. Visited it during my holiday vacation that year (when the lines for everything were crazy long as expected for a brand new section) and was astounded by how much it was like the movie come to life. Obviously, having Cameron completely involved in the project since it was announced helped immensely.

I do have a soft spot for both Galaxy's Edge and Toy Story Land as well though.

Perhaps a more interesting discussion is why Avatar hasn’t been embraced by the nerdy/geek subculture in the way other properties have. 

My theory is that it doesn’t really offer any unique or new ideas because its characters, concepts, and plots are just too generic and/or copied from other sources. 

Moderation

This "does Avatar have pop culture impact" argument is also going to be done here, because there's no point in arguing in circles, and we've done this countless of times already.

Also of note, just because you don't respond to quotes doesn't mean you should continue a conversation a moderator asks to stop. When a staff member asks something to stop, you stop. You can take the conversation elsewhere in another thread, but you can't take it here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

The whole cultural impact debate is pointless considering Madame Web will probably have the biggest cultural impact of any 2024 movie.

Coming to Universal in 2027: The Amazon Where Madame Web's Mother Was Researching Spiders Before Dying.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Coming to Universal in 2027: The Amazon Where Madame Web's Mother Was Researching Spiders Before Dying.

Speed rollercoaster ala Mummy (or even a water coaster) with spider effects, water effects, and general horror.  This would get so many riders:)!

Edited by TwoMisfits